Computer in room--does Oceania

Caroldoll

Only in the top Suites internet usage fees apply

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/nautica/staterooms/default.aspx

As part of the refurbishment program

* Laptops, currently featured in all Owner’s and Vista suites on Regatta, Insignia and Nautica, will be added to all Penthouse Suites

* iPads for all Owner’s, Vista and Oceania suites

Pillars of Distinction amenities will be featured on Oceania Cruises’ new Marina, scheduled for delivery in January 2011

Laptop was in our Penthouse suite on Nautica last month although it was of no value to us as we brought our notebook so put their laptop into a drawer to keep as much room on the vanity/desk as possible. It's hardwired into their internet feed so may have been useful for web "stuff" although I seem to recall others reporting that it didn't have usb ports so it would seem to nullify emailing of photos.

We`had an "old" Dell laptop in our PH suite on the Insignia during our Med cruise this past late may to June.

I don't know how "old" it could possibly have been. You were actually ahead of the game.

It was only announced in November of 2010 that Laptops were being added to the Penthouses as part of Phase 2 of the Pillars of Distinction.

http://www.travelpulse.com/oceania-cruises-unveils-pillars-of-distinction-phase-two.html

I'm telling you, these ships are constantly being upgraded!

I don't know how "old" it could possibly have been. You were actually ahead of the game.

It was only announced in November of 2010 that Laptops were being added to the Penthouses as part of Phase 2 of the Pillars of Distinction.

http://www.travelpulse.com/oceania-cruises-unveils-pillars-of-distinction-phase-two.html

I'm telling you, these ships are constantly being upgraded!

"Old" is relative...compared to the one I carried on board. It was XP, so I guess a better description is "clunky," again a designation that is relative my own laptop. But it was a surprise, as I had not expected it in a PH, based on the amenities description on the Oceania website. Had I not my own, I would have been happy to use it.

As you say, upgrades are constantly being carried out and this may have been an early move, or just a mistake. But in either case, I'm not going to complain :).

I believe what was meant was that they were old technology (which they are) not that the units themselves had been in the rooms a long time. As essentially a stripped down email machine they don't need to be the latest and greatest because they aren't running any software other than OS and a web browser so I suspect they picked up a bulk order of out dated machines.

They aren't meant to replace your desktop, laptop or notebook that you have at home so if you need more functionality then it would still be prudent to bring your own along (which we did).

Archived