What's happened to the bread rolls?

phileas

We were recently on the Queen Victoria, and had a great time. A small "but" was the lack of choice of bread rolls at dinner. In the past, we have been offered not just white, brown or seeded, but dried tomato, onion, olive etc. most evenings.

Is this part of the cutbacks and is now normal throughout the ship, or is it more of a one off?

When we asked for some bread rolls with sun dried tomato, we were told that they were very sorry, but they were not available, but that they would get us some for the next day. This they did, and in fact every day for the rest of the cruise! Near the end of the cruise, for an extra variation, we also asked for olive bread rolls, which duly arrived the following day, along with of course, the sun dried tomato rolls!

However if you did not ask, you only had the standard basic choice of rolls.

What have been other peoples experiences in either Brittania or Grills?:confused:

Phileas

Wishing he was still at sea, with or without a good choice of bread rolls!

Although I seldom take a roll, the experience that you now have to ask for items that once were standard does mirror my own experiience very recently on the QM2.

This means of course that if we accept the mediocre, that will in a very short time become the standard, which will in time become even lower.

One instance was when three unconnected passengers asked for "a pot of tea" (each wanted a different flavour) to be told "no pots" and were expected to accept just one type of less than hot liquid poured from a jug. When the waiter realised that I was going to go to the Maitre D' to ask him to provide the asked for tea in individual pots, the requested tea came.

A fellow passenger at the table (unconnected ) remarked on the ridiculous fuss over a "cup of tea" He felt I was being "difficult" even though I was quiet, polite but firm in my request.

I repeat once more - if we accept the mediocre, that is all we will get.

It is up to each one of us to ensure the standards are maintained.

I also enjoy Earl grey, when ever I asked for it and this always arrived in an individual pot.

Didn't think to ask for other types of bread rolls that we have enjoyed in the past, thou we liked the seeded brown that was offered on our recent cruise.

My wife had a milestone birthday 14 days in to the cruise, it was annoying to have her birthday cake on the first day!! We ate in Todd English on her birthday day, she had a extra 'special' birthday cake there.

We were recently on the Queen Victoria, and had a great time. A small "but" was the lack of choice of bread rolls at dinner. In the past, we have been offered not just white, brown or seeded, but dried tomato, onion, olive etc. most evenings.

Is this part of the cutbacks and is now normal throughout the ship, or is it more of a one off?

When we asked for some bread rolls with sun dried tomato, we were told that they were very sorry, but they were not available, but that they would get us some for the next day. This they did, and in fact every day for the rest of the cruise! Near the end of the cruise, for an extra variation, we also asked for olive bread rolls, which duly arrived the following day, along with of course, the sun dried tomato rolls!

However if you did not ask, you only had the standard basic choice of rolls.

What have been other peoples experiences in either Brittania or Grills?:confused:

Phileas

Wishing he was still at sea, with or without a good choice of bread rolls!

We were on the QV in Oct and the dinner roll situation was the same. Oddly though they had a better selection in the Lido even at lunchtime. When I mentioned this to a Lido Maitre D' we got a 'special bread order' in Brittania every dinnertime. Never offered to the others at our table tho'.

I also enjoy Earl grey, when ever I asked for it and this always arrived in an individual pot.

Didn't think to ask for other types of bread rolls that we have enjoyed in the past, thou we liked the seeded brown that was offered on our recent cruise.

My wife had a milestone birthday 14 days in to the cruise, it was annoying to have her birthday cake on the first day!! We ate in Todd English on her birthday day, she had a extra 'special' birthday cake there.

It appears that they did not indicate in your reservationm which date to deliver the cake. We are given the option of selecting exactly which date we want when we order.

It was the same for the preview tour of the Queen Elizabeth, White rolls were the only option in the basket.

Well if Cunard cant uphold the standards that were the norm, what hope is there.

There was no shortage of bread in the Princess Grill during our October crossing. They would come around twice during lunch and dinner and there was a wide variety of bread available.

During breakfast the bread basket was filled with croissants et al and it too would visit our table at least twice.

There was no shortage of bread in the Princess Grill during our October crossing. They would come around twice during lunch and dinner and there was a wide variety of bread available.

During breakfast the bread basket was filled with croissants et al and it too would visit our table at least twice.

Same with us in Queens Grill. Bread selection was excellent. Those Asiago cheese crusted rolls are to die for!

Complaining about the dinner rolls? What's that about? Unbelievable. I think I may have signed up for the wrong cruise. Let me get this straight again. DINNER ROLLS? LOL

Maybe I'll bring a loaf or 2 of Wonder Bread to pass around for those of you that are unhappy with the dinner rolls.

Complaining about the dinner rolls? What's that about? Unbelievable. I think I may have signed up for the wrong cruise. Let me get this straight again. DINNER ROLLS? LOL

Maybe I'll bring a loaf or 2 of Wonder Bread to pass around for those of you that are unhappy with the dinner rolls.

Difficult to believe, is't it? Especially as the ones requested were then available.

I wonder if they were just not as popular as the regular types?

Who knows? And who cares?

WD

How long can this dull thread last, it is getting really stale now. Is it such a big thing to have to ask for special rolls? I don't think so, especially as they immediately bring them to you. If they didn't have them that would possibly be a cause to complain although it is not the end of the world. The waiters cannot be realistically expected to carry a full selection of all the bread products available, can they?

Yes, they used to.I agree this is a very petty matter but I think you are all missing the point. I am not blaming the waiters, rather I think it is a Cunard directive to cut back the choice in Brittania. Never mind tho, that's the way its going everywhere.

Yes, they used to.I agree this is a very petty matter but I think you are all missing the point. I am not blaming the waiters, rather I think it is a Cunard directive to cut back the choice in Brittania. Never mind tho, that's the way its going everywhere.

That makes no sense, if they have cooked the rolls as they obviously have, do you seriously think that they would rather have them uneaten so that they are stale and thrown away. I don't think so. People seem fixated by the thought that standards are slipping whereas in reality some of the good staff have moved on perhaps to QE and there are trainees replacing them, well all staff need to be trained in their new positions so it is a cyclical process. Normally the "new" crew attend the White Star academy for training but this only lasts a week so they must do most of their learning on the job, so to speak. It is unfortunate that some passengers have had poor service but the complaints should be directed to the Head Waiters responsible for the table, and if there is no satisfaction there, then move on to the Maitre D' or the F & B Manager or the Hotel Manager. Sort it out whilst you are still on board. Some waiters are better than others, it is a fact, but if the aiter doesn't cut it, Cunard will sort the problem out.

You don't seem to object to the posts about lack of tea choices on QM2 slipping standards thread. What's the difference ?

As I have already said, that is a storm in a teacup. It is also too trite to seriously discuss. I normally go with P & O at Christmas and their tea and coffee is very naff. It is not worth complaining about as it isn't going to change, so we take our own tea and coffee and get over it that way.

Still missing the point I think. It was NOT the waiters fault. In the Brittania they now only offer about 3 choices of rolls. Enough you might say and I would normally agree. I'm not that keen on eating bread rolls. Our special order came in a separate basket very freshly cooked - not available to anyone else - they did not just get them from the normal supply. Let's stop this now - perhaps we could start discussing the demise of the good chocolate petit fours in Brittania. Perhaps you would not agree this is also another cut back. Anyway,I really don't care too much, I still prefer Cunard to any other line.

Although I seldom take a roll, the experience that you now have to ask for items that once were standard does mirror my own experiience very recently on the QM2.

This means of course that if we accept the mediocre, that will in a very short time become the standard, which will in time become even lower.

One instance was when three unconnected passengers asked for "a pot of tea" (each wanted a different flavour) to be told "no pots" and were expected to accept just one type of less than hot liquid poured from a jug. When the waiter realised that I was going to go to the Maitre D' to ask him to provide the asked for tea in individual pots, the requested tea came.

A fellow passenger at the table (unconnected ) remarked on the ridiculous fuss over a "cup of tea" He felt I was being "difficult" even though I was quiet, polite but firm in my request.

that every voyage on QM2 has had wonderful standards 5 star

May I say

[/color]

that every voyage on QM2 has had wonderful standards 5 star

May I say

We've done the Grills the last 2 voyages. They do pretty much everything possible to make your trip excellent. At those prices they should! That being said I have noticed slipping quality in Britannia. We used to ask for an "Amuse"(mini app.)prepared by the chef. It comes standard in the Grills. On our last Britannia trip(2008) It consisted of a piece of (average)cheese on a trisket! Not exactly what I would have expected. Being charged $50 for Caviar(and not Sevruga)which was still offered at the time in the Queens Grill was also not too good. As stated by others...When standards start dropping, if you don't start to speak up then it will become too late.

That makes no sense, if they have cooked the rolls as they obviously have, do you seriously think that they would rather have them uneaten so that they are stale and thrown away. I don't think so. People seem fixated by the thought that standards are slipping whereas in reality some of the good staff have moved on perhaps to QE and there are trainees replacing them, well all staff need to be trained in their new positions so it is a cyclical process. Normally the "new" crew attend the White Star academy for training but this only lasts a week so they must do most of their learning on the job, so to speak. It is unfortunate that some passengers have had poor service but the complaints should be directed to the Head Waiters responsible for the table, and if there is no satisfaction there, then move on to the Maitre D' or the F & B Manager or the Hotel Manager. Sort it out whilst you are still on board. Some waiters are better than others, it is a fact, but if the aiter doesn't cut it, Cunard will sort the problem out.

I apolgise if I am incorrect, but I believe that in your review you stated that the Caribbean Cruise was your first cruise on the QM2, which means you are not qualified to compare it with past cruises, which is the subject of the threads involved.

QM2 is not a training establishment, and its passengers should not treated as be guinea pigs.

As for bringing these events to the Maitre 'D, or other upper echelon staff, since you have not sailed on QM2 previously you will not know that this was an exercise in frustration (which only added to the problem) . I tried dealing with the "upper echelon" ,the attitude was a "shrug of the shoulder" , no apology, no dealing with the complaint, just "hey these things happen"

Do waiters knowingly lie to passengers in order to avoid work, sadly the answer is yes. Do they withold information re alternatives , in order to avoid work, again sadly the answer is yes. There was clear and positive proof of that several times in the Caribbean cruise

On any cruise the experience of passenger "A" will differ from that of passenger "B " depending on grade of stateroom,which dining room each passenger uses, and whether the staff the passengers deals with is someone with a "good work ethic" or a "shirker" .

If you were lucky enough not to have a "shirker", be thankful, and be very concerned - next time your luck may run out!

Archived