Power outlets on the Spirit

Tipsy252

I have heard lots on CC about bringing power strips on board, this sounds like a good idea as we have cameras and phones etc. that need charging. My question is what type of sockets will be available in the cabin? Would they only be the 2 pin North American type of socket? If so we would need to bring an adaptor as well.

We will be on the NCL Spirit.

I have heard lots on CC about bringing power strips on board, this sounds like a good idea as we have cameras and phones etc. that need charging. My question is what type of sockets will be available in the cabin? Would they only be the 2 pin North American type of socket? If so we would need to bring an adaptor as well.

Side by side are an American 110 volt outlet and a European 220 volt outlet. With the Spirit you can use a power strip with the American outlet for recharging batteries. The only restriction is an American hair dryer which consumes much more than the 500 watts limit with the 110 volt circuit... With the hair dryer you can use a dual voltage hair dryer/with European adapter with the 220 volt circuit which isn't limited to 500 watts...

• 3 months later...

I don't know much about electricity and think I bought the wrong thing. The cord I bought has three prongs, will that fit in the ships socket or is it two prong?

Sorry if it has been asked before, two weeks before we sail and if I get this wrong my kids might revolt.

Thanks a bunch for the help.

I don't know much about electricity and think I bought the wrong thing. The cord I bought has three prongs, will that fit in the ships socket or is it two prong?

Sorry if it has been asked before, two weeks before we sail and if I get this wrong my kids might revolt.

Thanks a bunch for the help.

You can use the three-pronged American grounded-style plug. That's what my laptop uses and I've always been able to charge it on all of the NCL ship's I've been on. My power strip has has a three pronged plug and I always bring it with me. I just searched through DW's photos and found one that had a plug in it. This is in the master bathroom of our cabin on Jewel. Well, that thumbnail is too small to see anything but trust me, it's a three-prong plug in the middle of the photo.

1918070640_NorwegianJewelCanadaSep2010Sarahspix486.jpg.1ffecf56458036640fdcc8ee1cf2c1d3.jpg

My poor little blonde head is spinning! Does the Spirit have blow dryers in the room? If not, and I bring my own personal blow dryer and it's over 500 watts, what do I have to bring to make it work? Nothing's worse than a little blonde head spinning while it's WET! LOL!

My poor little blonde head is spinning! Does the Spirit have blow dryers in the room? If not, and I bring my own personal blow dryer and it's over 500 watts, what do I have to bring to make it work? Nothing's worse than a little blonde head spinning while it's WET! LOL!

Unless your hair dryer is dual voltage, don't bring it. With a dual voltage hair dryer you can use the European 220 volt outlet, but you will need an American 110 volt-to-European 220 volt adapter to plug it into a European 220 volt outlet. You can find dual voltage hair dryers at many American stores which are cheaper than buying a 110 volt to 220 volt converter you will need if you brought your American hair dryer 110 volt...

My sister bought a dual voltage hair dryer than gave it as a gift later as she was very careful in opening and wrapping the package... Many of the dual voltage hair dryers are sold as international and come with the adapters, another significant savings...

Keep in mind adapters deal with plugs, converters deal with the different voltages...

Yes, a hair dryer is provided in the Spirit's bath room, but its not very powerful and appears like a vacuum cleaner with not a very long hose... Folks with thick hair don't think its enough, but on the other hand folks with thin hair thinks its okay...

The problem with the Spirit is that she was built and wired for the Asian market of 220 volts. Because of her narrow gauge wiring she has a wattage limit with 110 volts. Its capable of running everything but American high wattage hair dryers... There is no wattage limit with the 220 volts, so thats the angle to go with dealing with hair dryers...What is nice with the dual voltage hair dryers is that you don't need to bring a converter, just an adapter...

First of all, if you are looking at the answers above, make sure the people are talking specifically about the Spirit (like Don - his info is specific to the Spirit - others were not) since it is different than the other NCL ships.

We just got back from the Spirit last week. The outlet in the cabin is a 3 prong outlet. I confirmed this with my son. It will almost definitely NOT like your personal blow dryer.

There is a blow dryer in the bathroom. There are pictures here on CC that you can find. It is kind of strange looking, but it does work. It isn't the strongest blow dryer around, but it will probably be a better option than throwing a breaker by trying to use yours.

Shades of Linda Blair--spinning heads.

It is my wife's expert long-haired blonde opinion that the hair dryers provided aboard the ship are just okay.

I think I noticed that the OP is located in the UK. The one European outlet in your cabin will be the two-pin continental Europe type outlet, so you'll still need a UK pin adaptor.

Shades of Linda Blair--spinning heads.

It is my wife's expert long-haired blonde opinion that the hair dryers provided aboard the ship are just okay.

I think I noticed that the OP is located in the UK. The one European outlet in your cabin will be the two-pin continental Europe type outlet, so you'll still need a UK pin adaptor.

I just had a lengthy discussion with hair and told it that there would not be a bad attitude about the "just OK" hair dryer provided by the Spirit. Right now it seems willing to comply with my wishes but I have this sneaking suspicion that there will be some "bad hair" days in the future. If I have to, I will threaten it with the possibility of an 80's perm to rectify the situation...that right there should straighten it out don't you think?!??!?! LOL!

You will need an adaptor that plugs into either a European style or USA style socket. Easy to pick up one of these in the UK if you don't have one. Cost a couple of pounds. From there you can plug your UK style 3 square pins power strip into the adaptor and your chargers into that.

I am a Brit and I know this is what to do as I do it myself with camera, video camera, laptop,mp3 player. Might charge the phone once but it is kept switched off most of the time when we are on planes and on ships. Make sure you bring the transformers for all appliances as the voltage is different.

Looks like I am sailing on the spirit a few weeks before you. Will let you know how it goes for us.

Archived