Looking at 1st HAL cruise

GORDONCHICK

I'm a little concerned by reading some of these threads that HAL may not be the line for us, but the specific cruise fits our very small time window and itinerary. I'm not new to CC or cruising, but some of these threads come off as more than a bit snobby - is this the norm? Also, since we will be traveling with our DS, who's been cruising since he was 3, it appears that we will be snubbed or looked down on even though he behaves very well. Am I getting a good "read" on things or not?

Also, wondering why there are so few roll calls for HAL?

I'm a little concerned by reading some of these threads that HAL may not be the line for us, but the specific cruise fits our very small time window and itinerary. I'm not new to CC or cruising, but some of these threads come off as more than a bit snobby - is this the norm? Also, since we will be traveling with our DS, who's been cruising since he was 3, it appears that we will be snubbed or looked down on even though he behaves very well. Am I getting a good "read" on things or not?

My children have never been looked down upon or snubbed and have always had great experiences on HAL. The staff seem to really enjoy kids especially the little ones. :D

I don't think HAL people are anti-children; they are anti-poor parenting which I am sure you do not practice.

Like any board or group of people there are some people who seem to think their opinions and perspectives are the only ones worth noting. I ignore them and suggest you do the same. You will very much enjoy your time on any HAL ship.

My children have never been looked down upon or snubbed and have always had great experiences on HAL. The staff seem to really enjoy kids especially the little ones. :D

In my experience, the staff enjoys just about everyone. Out of 6 cruises, we've never had bad service, though the styles of service vary from line to line. I was referring more to fellow passengers, than the crew.

I don't think HAL people are anti-children; they are anti-poor parenting which I am sure you do not practice.

Like any board or group of people there are some people who seem to think their opinion and perspective is the only ones worth noting. I ignore them and suggest you do the same. You will very much enjoy your time on any HAL ship.

There are some things I've read about HAL that I am looking forward to - provided we really do get to book the cruise! We've got to decide quickly. Does HAL still offer cooking classes, and also the ones for children? My DS would absolutely love this, as would I. I hear the beds and linens are wonderful, and the food quite good in the MDR.

There are some things I've read about HAL that I am looking forward to - provided we really do get to book the cruise! We've got to decide quickly. Does HAL still offer cooking classes, and also the ones for children? My DS would absolutely love this, as would I. I hear the beds and linens are wonderful, and the food quite good in the MDR.

First of all, children are always welcome on HAL. Hal does still offer the culinary classes - they partner with Food and Wine. You can watch for free or participate for a nominal charge. The beds and linens on HAL are absolutely wonderful. You will sleep like a baby (no pun intended).

I wouldn't wait - go for it. The staff are truly wonderful and most of the passengers are great. which ship are you looking at? most have a HAL club for the kids if it is of interest.

My friends and I travelled on HAL many years ago when their daughter was only 6. she had a blast and didn't participate in the HAL club for kids. she had fun with us.

hope this helps a bit:)

On Zuiderdam last month there were 2000 people and 30 of them were on the CC roll call. Please don't think everyone on the ship is the same. HAL cruisers are (almost) all happy to be on the ship and not knit-picking their shipboard experience. You WILL have a great cruise and want to go again. CHEERS!:D

No, no, no:) We've been cruising HAL since my children were little. Almost all the passangers were friendly and engaging towards my children. (Of course, I explained to my children how I expected them to behave. We practiced "restaurant" manners before leaving) The staff loves children. Many staff members leave their families behind to work on HAL, and really miss their own kids.

Back then, we didn't take shore excursions; we went to the beach and/or walked around town on our own. I made a point to spend the mornings on the islands on port days so my children would avoid the hot afternoon sun. We went back to the ship for a quiet lunch and a nap if needed.

Enjoy your cruise!

The Statendam for a one-way Alaskan cruise. DS will turn 10 shortly before the cruise and he always loves going to the kids' clubs. He's 9 and has 6 cruises under his belt already.

We took our DD age 10 on a Mediterranean cruise with HAL in May. She LOVED going up to Club Hal. The cooking classes for the kids are free which is nice. Since there weren't many kids on that cruise she was able to get individual attention from the HAL club staff and she really enjoyed that. She is not one that likes a crowd of kids anyway. Alaska is beautiful. Our daughter didn't go with us on the Alaskan cruise we took in 2008 but hopefully we will be able to go again someday and take her with us. She is going with us to Bermuda on the Veendam in May. We also have two older boys - age 19 and 18 and they loved the HAL cruise in May as well. As a matter of fact our oldest son and I are returning in May to the Mediterranean on the Noordam. No one was at all rude to our kids on the cruise. Their cabin steward adored our daughter because he has one her age. She loved all the attention.:D

diane

The Statendam for a one-way Alaskan cruise. DS will turn 10 shortly before the cruise and he always loves going to the kids' clubs. He's 9 and has 6 cruises under his belt already.

I was waiting in a hotel lobby for my cousin to arrive in Seattle for an Alaskan cruise. Also in the lobby was a family, Mom, Dad, 13 year old daughter, 8 year old daughter and a 3 yr old who had just got off an Alaskan cruise. We got to talking and, as expected, the 13 year old didn't have much to say until the subject turned to Club Hal. She and her sister couldn't wait to tell me all the cool things they die and how much fun they had. I don't have kids but based on their endorsement I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Hal for Alaska.

Carole

Absolutely! Lots of kids on our HAL Amsterdam 14 day itinerary cruise on May 31st - and each and every one was enjoying themselves with Club Hal, and all the amazing excursions they went on in port. Don't sweat the small stuff - sailing to Alaska is all about the ports, the views, the wildlife, and kids dig that stuff! You'll be just fine! We loved seeing the kids, gave me some "Auntie" time while I was away from my own dear neices and nephews, and seeing the wonder in their eyes, well, its priceless! Don't let the naysayers make you feel different - I really think you'll be just fine on HAL - and your little boy too!:)

I didn't find HAL in ALaska snobby at all. We loved seeing and interacting with the children on the ship as they reminded us of our grandson whom we were missing very much. The people we met on board were very laid back for the most part. We had a great time!!!

I have been following HAL threads and children comments for some time as I would love to take my grandchildren someday. I evaluate the comments carefully and what I find is that HAL would suit our needs perfectly with children. The ships will not be overrun with children, but they will be on board. It seems like Club HAL will be just the right ratio of children to staff. I would not hesitate to book this cruise. You will love Alaska and so will your son.

I love HAL, and respect your posts (I often enjoy them on the "Ask a Cruise Question" board.) I'd like to picture you having a great time on Statendam.

But, what kinds of things do you find "snobby"?

For example, the word "snob" often shows up on dress code threads. HAL does have a formal dress code in the MDR 2 nights a week, jacket/tie for gentlemen. Enforcement is spotty. Would you prefer to avoid that dress code, yet still dine in the MDR on formal nights? (Casual Lido serves essentially the same menu, but buffet style.)

If you do, it's possible you'll encounter reactions you might find "snobby".

HAL is a traditional line, and aspires to elegance. The ambiance isn't as casual as some lines. Some people find that atmosphere "snobby".

Can you clue us in on your snobbery hot buttons?

I love HAL, and respect your posts (I often enjoy them on the "Ask a Cruise Question" board.) I'd like to picture you having a great time on Statendam.

But, what kinds of things do you find "snobby"?

For example, the word "snob" often shows up on dress code threads. HAL does have a formal dress code in the MDR 2 nights a week, jacket/tie for gentlemen. Enforcement is spotty. Would you prefer to avoid that dress code, yet still dine in the MDR on formal nights? (Casual Lido serves essentially the same menu, but buffet style.)

If you do, it's possible you'll encounter reactions you might find "snobby".

HAL is a traditional line, and aspires to elegance. The ambiance isn't as casual as some lines. Some people find that atmosphere "snobby".

Can you clue us in on your snobbery hot buttons?

Since you've caught my posts before, you'll probably remember we are of the mindset - when in Rome... Our 2 favorite lines are Celebrity and NCL. We've always adhered to dresscodes, though many insist they are mere suggestions.

I don't usually find atmosphere snobby - more so it's the people. Many of the posts I'd been reading (and decided to stop since), were derogatory toward the simple presence of children even when behaving properly. The tone of some posters was rather indignant that people would bring their children to the dining room to eat, as if the sight of them instantly repulsed them.

I got the feeling that some of the posts were from people trying to impress old school mates at a 10 year reunion (the one where many are making their lives appear to be more important than they are) or are way too impressed by themselves. Could just be me, but it is the impression I've gotten.

Don't get me wrong - we usually have a great time no matter where we've gone. For the most part, I don't care too much about what other people think. But in order to simplify and enjoy life to the fullest, we've been divesting of high-maintenance "friends"/relationships, and are trying make choices that we see as positive over negative. Same thing goes for vacation choices.

I don't usually find atmosphere snobby - more so it's the people. Many of the posts I'd been reading (and decided to stop since), were derogatory toward the simple presence of children even when behaving properly. The tone of some posters was rather indignant that people would bring their children to the dining room to eat, as if the sight of them instantly repulsed them.

The same posts annoyed me as well, although I should know better because it is the same old story every time one of those threads is started.:( However, I do not think you will see any of that snobbery on the cruise itself. Especially would this be true in Alaska which attracts a lot of younger cruisers and families. I also cannot even begin to understand why people think they can live in a world completely devoid of children. Maybe the children would like to live in a world completely devoid of rude and inconsiderate adults. :D I guess our children aren't allowed to eat in a restaurant until they are 12. ;) But again, I do not think for a minute that those posts reflect at all the people you see on the cruises. I did not see any of that negativity on our cruise and our children were in the definite minority. There were only 13 aboard between 8 and 18! But I do think it was because it was the end of May AND it is the Mediterranean. On an Alaskan cruise you should see more children than that, but on HAL I don't believe you find quite so many children as other cruise lines. HAL offers a fine product and they are very welcoming of children of all ages. :) And why do some assume we wouldn't dress up for formal nights? Our daughter (age 10) had her formal wear picked out months before the cruise.

diane

Also, since we will be traveling with our DS, who's been cruising since he was 3, it appears that we will be snubbed or looked down on even though he behaves very well. Am I getting a good "read" on things or not?

We tried our first HAL cruise this year during spring break, and enjoyed the HAL experience very much. You mentioned that you like Celebrity - IMHO, HAL and X are very similar in quality. Fantastic food, great service, staff that couldn't do enough for you, everything was great. The main problem I had was the other passengers. There are bad apples on every cruise and every line - complainers, rude jerks, people who think they're better than everyone else - but I think we were blessed with an unusually large amount of them on this trip.

Other passengers would make loud, derogatory comments (i.e. "who let all these kids onboard" and "children shouldn't be allowed to cruise") when I walked around with my young adult daughter. She's an experienced cruiser (cruised since she was 18mo) and a polite young lady, and the comments hurt. These same folks were rude in other ways: pushing/cutting in line, stealing tables at the buffet, closing the elevator door on you, etc. so they were real gems in all aspects of life.

Keep in mind that this was a spring break cruise (middle of March), so I have no idea what these folks were expecting. The children I saw onboard were either well-behaved or MIA (occupied in the kids' clubs), so in all honesty, there was no bad behavior to even be complaining about. So yes, the snobbery and child hate is alive and well in some folks who sail HAL. If you don't like kids, that's more than fine, just don't sail in typical kid-heavy times of the year.

If you want to try HAL, I think you should. They are a really great cruiseline and worth a shot, plus they have some fabulous itineraries. Maybe try cruising in the summer or school vacations to make sure your DS will have other kids onboard to play with. (We had 200 kids on our spring break cruise, for reference.)

And this is just a fair warning, but no matter how well-behaved or polite your DS is, I still think you should be prepared for a dirty look or two. I know we had an extreme group of crabapples on our cruise that I wouldn't wish on anyone, but there will be some people on every cruise that dislike kids. Keep your head high, ignore the jerks, and enjoy your cruise.

We tried our first HAL cruise this year during spring break, and enjoyed the HAL experience very much. You mentioned that you like Celebrity - IMHO, HAL and X are very similar in quality. Fantastic food, great service, staff that couldn't do enough for you, everything was great. The main problem I had was the other passengers. There are bad apples on every cruise and every line - complainers, rude jerks, people who think they're better than everyone else - but I think we were blessed with an unusually large amount of them on this trip.

Other passengers would make loud, derogatory comments (i.e. "who let all these kids onboard" and "children shouldn't be allowed to cruise") when I walked around with my young adult daughter. She's an experienced cruiser (cruised since she was 18mo) and a polite young lady, and the comments hurt. These same folks were rude in other ways: pushing/cutting in line, stealing tables at the buffet, closing the elevator door on you, etc. so they were real gems in all aspects of life.

Keep in mind that this was a spring break cruise (middle of March), so I have no idea what these folks were expecting. The children I saw onboard were either well-behaved or MIA (occupied in the kids' clubs), so in all honesty, there was no bad behavior to even be complaining about. So yes, the snobbery and child hate is alive and well in some folks who sail HAL. If you don't like kids, that's more than fine, just don't sail in typical kid-heavy times of the year.

If you want to try HAL, I think you should. They are a really great cruiseline and worth a shot, plus they have some fabulous itineraries. Maybe try cruising in the summer or school vacations to make sure your DS will have other kids onboard to play with. (We had 200 kids on our spring break cruise, for reference.)

And this is just a fair warning, but no matter how well-behaved or polite your DS is, I still think you should be prepared for a dirty look or two. I know we had an extreme group of crabapples on our cruise that I wouldn't wish on anyone, but there will be some people on every cruise that dislike kids. Keep your head high, ignore the jerks, and enjoy your cruise.

This is exactly what I was reading. My personal experience is that we've experienced more bad behavior by adults and even senior adults - pushing, shoving, cutting in line - as if they are the only ones who matter.

Carmen - re my post above and your reply - I knew you were fine about the "snob" examples I gave. I was kinda/sorta trying to draw you out about what had ruffled you here on the HAL board.

How do I put this? The holiday season is almost upon us, and many regulars here are conspicuously absent. Also, the CC'ers who post on the HAL board are perhaps 1% of all HAL cruisers.

Go, and enjoy. I agree that of all the stereotypes about HAL cruisers, the one you're most likely to encounter are (one or two) people who frown every time they see someone under 21. Ignore them. On an Alaska cruise, they'll get to etch their frown lines deeper....while your son should have other kids to hang with.

Archived