Yuk!! Gross!! Prime Time Live Last Night

anngie

I caught the last five minutes or so about the Veendam. It was pretty disgusting. Did theyjust focus on the Veendam or did they investigate other ships too?

I taped it last night and just watched it. They showed Carnival, RCI, Princess and the Veendam. Pretty gross. :eek:

Angie - as far as I know they don't wash the blankets between passengers, but HAL is now double sheeting all bedding with the blanket between the sheets.

They had a hotel room expose on our local station, and it was the same thing -- urine, semen, blood, and it didn't matter if it was the no-tell motel or the Ritz. I always wipe everything down with a clorox wipe, especially the tv remote, door handles, etc. And if you look at a bed spread and think, "gee, that looks like dried...." it probably is...

Actually, I am glad that I did see it. We travel so much and I have always been kind of grossed out by using the same coverlet and pillows that someone else used before us but never had any idea.............just what was elsewhere in the room.

Those shows sure make you wonder about the habits of some of our fellow human beings, don't they?

*LOL* I have always wondered about the habits of my fellow human beings. Never put anything past them.

However I am more shocked that the cleaning staff doesn't do a better job of cleaning up afterwards.

No slam to the Veendam, I am talking about any hotel room or cruise ship cabin that has these problems.

Last nights show was not the first one to focus on this. There have been several.

We as travelers always have it in the back of our minds that the night before we got there, a total stranger was doing God knows what in the bed, shower, toilet, we are using tonight.

You hope that the cleaning staff has done a thorough enough job, but obviously that is not always the case.

You probably also thought the airlines washed all those blankets between flights. Think again. They don't.................................

Don't think about it.....Don't use them ;) There is nothing wrong with alerting people about things you don't always think about. I'm not going to clean for 7 days....but I am going to take a few minutes to clean obvious surfaces. A few minutes at the beginning of the cruise might keep us from spending the entire week in the room or from bringing whats in our room into the dinning room for everyone else to share! If nothing else.....a little piece of mind:p

I know it's risky but basically I enjoy going out onto the limb and then turning back and basically sawing it off:D .

That said, the truth is we really don't know what is on any given surface except in our own home. So the only way to be completely safe is to just stay home.

We all go out into the world and most of us live through each day. Our bodies are made to withstand all sorts of yucks and germs and heaven knows what. We wash, we do out best and we live.

The media just loves to jump all over everything. It is in their best interest to gross you out, scare you, basically get you to tune in one way or the other. If it's a slow week they start inspecting everything or telling you new ways to stop wrinkles from forming or a pain-free way of ridding yourself of cellulite or the sharks are attacking innocents everywhere and so on and so on and so on.

It always amazes me that I've made it into my golden years alive. Believe me, people have always been people doing what people seem to do and somehow we make it through.

When the "Today" show on NBC did their piece, cultures were taken in their studio. Same thing. I dare say it would be the same in your home as well as mine, no matter how good a housekeeper we think we are. And the workplace ... yikes! Just think of all the surfaces that are not treated with bleach or other anti-bacterials after every use. Customers and employees in and out handling magazines, catalogs, employment forms, pens, clipboards, display cases, door knobs/handles, etc. You name it. Being on a cruise ship is no different in this regard than being anywhere else.

And the workplace ... yikes! Just think of all the surfaces that are not treated with bleach or other anti-bacterials after every use. Customers and employees in and out handling magazines, catalogs, employment forms, pens, clipboards, display cases, door knobs/handles, etc. You name it. Being on a cruise ship is no different in this regard than being anywhere else.

You are right on here, Jim! This is so gross, I work in a really nice building, with really nice office space - we have a beautiful ladies room that is shared between the tenants on our floor. I am amazed at the number of women who do not wash their hands after they've used the toilet. It just boggles my mind.

I am not super sensitive to germs and bacteria - I know they exist just about everywhere and sometimes its impossible to prevent them... but washing your hands? That's just basic hygiene.

We were on the Zuidy 12/23/04 sailing. HAL now lets passengers stay in their cabins until they are called for disembarkation at the end of the cruise. The cabin steward came in to make up the room for the next passengers while we were still in the room, so we saw first hand that HE DID NOT CHANGE THE BLANKET!!!!!!!! GROSS!!

The cabin steward came in to make up the room for the next passengers while we were still in the room, so we saw first hand that HE DID NOT CHANGE THE BLANKET!!!!!!!! GROSS!!
When someone occupies your guest room at home, do you wash the bedspread and blanket when they depart, or just the sheets? I'd venture to guess just the latter.

Jim- When my brother and my nieces come, I'll wash just the sheets. When it's my sister and her husband, I'd strip the entire bed including the mattress pad and wipe off the plastic cover on the mattress. Same with the pillows. They smoke and think the bedroom they're using isn't part of the house.

Pat.

When someone occupies your guest room at home, do you wash the bedspread and blanket when they depart, or just the sheets? I'd venture to guess just the latter.

You wash the sheets when a guest leaves?????:rolleyes: I just smooth them out, let them air for a day or so and we're good to go!!!!

Archived