Question on Princess Hawaii/Tahitti cruise?

BoPippy

Years ago went on Princess for 11 days from Hawaii to Tahitti and on the way we stopped at Xmas island on the equator.Does anyone know why they stopped doing this?and if they plan on stopping on the equator somewhere again?:)I would like to do this cruise again.

Years ago went on Princess for 11 days from Hawaii to Tahitti and on the way we stopped at Xmas island on the equator.Does anyone know why they stopped doing this?and if they plan on stopping on the equator somewhere again?:)I would like to do this cruise again.

Afraid they no longer stop at Christmas Island. We also sailed this itineary back in the early 90's and stopped there, and have repeated this cruise several times since trying to find one that actually stopped there again to break up the sea days. Even with the itineary showing (which it no longer does but it used to) a stop at Christmas Island, they always gave a reason for it being cancelled, but we never found out until we got to the ship. One time I even found an email contact on Christmas Island before a B2B cruise asking if they had repaired the pier, and dredged the approach for the upcoming cruises, and they replied all was ready for the visit. But the day we arrived, Princess announced that we would not be stopping there. :(

From what I understand, passengers were complaining there was nothing there to see (?) and filing complaints, so they totally took it off the schedule. Such a shame, as we loved that stop.

Last year we did a 'sail by' Christmas Island only. This coming February, that isn't even on the schedule. So, it's back to 5 days at sea from Hawaii to Tahiti I guess. There are no other islands that any cruise ships stop at around the equator that I have ever heard of, unfortunately.

I loved it when we stopped and it was in the 1990's also.I went into the police station,a small room and being 6'4'' and 300 pounds,i fell thru the floor walking in on one foot.The so called policeman was rolly polly and no uniform!People used to like getting stamps from there-long lines,small store,no cars to be seen,piles of metal from the war,people cleaning fish and drying in the sun on plywood.I think only 800 people,but seemed less.

Saw a family playing old 45 records and playing with their kids.Men were out fishing,i think.Princess tendered us ashore and natives sang to us.Really hot.I think there is one hotel on island and a good airport runway from the war days.

I liked the islands remoteness and people.I think some were scared to go there since at one time it was radioactive to some degree.

Maybe again someday or another stop down there.:)

The last time we were supposed to stop there (scheduled but cancelled, even on a B2B cruise as we thought that would have given us double the chance), we had taken half a suitcase with school supplies and treats for the kids on Christmas Island. We were so very sad that they could not get delivered to them, as they really could have used the school supplies.

I have seen pictures online that some have taken when the ship still stopped there (about 8 or 9 years ago) and they had built little huts along the pier area for selling items. A small change, but the island was still underdeveloped and all the WWII metal was still in the shallows. Hubby was so disappointed that there are no Princess ships visiting anymore, I can't even put it into words. :(

Archived