distance to Mendenhall Glacier Visitor's Center

LindaKE

Is it possible to be dropped off near the entrance to the Mendenhall Visitor's Center? I keep seeing comments about the long walk from where you are dropped off. With limited mobility, I'm concerned about the long walk. I know I've seen the answer to this somewhere, but can't find it now.

Thanks!

Is it possible to be dropped off near the entrance to the Mendenhall Visitor's Center? I keep seeing comments about the long walk from where you are dropped off. With limited mobility, I'm concerned about the long walk. I know I've seen the answer to this somewhere, but can't find it now.

Thanks!

Apparently, the city bus line drops you off a long walk away from the center. But tour buses, and the private buses take you right to the center. Hang tight, someone will be along to fill you in about the private buses. I didn't use them, so have no details.

You want to go on either a tour or with the private buses that run from town, they will drop you pretty close to the visitor's center. There is an elevator you can take up to the visitor's center from the ground level. The public bus drops you farther away. You can also rent a car (what we did) and park close as well. Last option is a cab.

With limited mobility you will not be able to do the hike to the water fall. There are a couple of short trails close to the visitor center you may be able to do.

Jen in SoCal

Thanks!

You need to think this through carefully. IF you wish to have the most limited glacier viewing, then viewing from the Visitor Center is the choice, as it has a wonderful full view. More walking, involves the outside viewing at Photo Point.

The shuttle buses, DO have a walk involved since the pick up is usually in the side parking lot, unless this has again changed, not in front of the visitor center.

If more limited in ambulation, consider a wheel chair rental or using a cab perhaps.

Archived