Renting Electric Wheelchair To Be Delivered

wizard-of-roz

I want to rent an electric scooter and have it delivered to the Sapphire Princess has anyone does this and who do I rent it from? Princess or a wheelchair rental company?

Does Princess do this directly......I can't imagine an outside company doing it - it seems the turn-around time would be prohibitive.

If anyone has more information on how to rent a scooter I'd appreciate it.

I'll also post on the disabled board.

I want to rent an electric scooter and have it delivered to the Sapphire Princess has anyone does this and who do I rent it from? Princess or a wheelchair rental company?

Does Princess do this directly......I can't imagine an outside company doing it - it seems the turn-around time would be prohibitive.

Roz: Care Vacations at www.cruiseshipassist.com is Princess' preferred/approved vendor for scooter rental. I took my own power chair, but rented a collapsible W/C from them this past September for Alaska. It was in our suite waiting when we arrived, and we just left it there for them to take when we left. Super easy. A little spendy, but not insurmountable. You and the dog should do just fine.

Princess does not rent scooters. Go to www.carevacations.com . They are wonderful. Not cheap, but a life saver, in my opinion. The scooter will be in your cabin when you arrive and you just leave it there when you disembark. If you need a wheelchair to get to your cabin, let Princess know ahead of time and they will have one ready for you when you check in and will also get you off the ship and to the curbside. I've even arranged it for our European cruise. I can walk, but getting around the ship is difficult for me because I have trouble walking long distances. I've also taken it on excursions (if it isn't a tender port, in which case Princess will loan you a wheelchair that you must reserve ahead of time). There is a lot of information about cruising with a scooter on the disability board locted on the home page of CC, where I learned all of this (love these boards, don't you?). If I can answer more of your questions, just let me know.

Oh, by the way. I leave my scotter parked between the elevators even though it will fit in a regular cabin, it's crowded. My husband removes the battery from it which I plug in each night. You will need to bring an a power strip which comes in handy for all the other gadgets you'll want to plug in like your camera, phone, etc.

For anyone else who might be curious about this......I called CareVacations directly. I think the price goes according to your weight and height....We needed a wheelchair for someone 5'5", weighing 135lbs. I believe the price changes as the height and weight changes.

The charge for us is $225.00 for the week. They will have the wheelchair delivered to our cabin and we just leave it there when disembarking.

That comes out to about $32.00 a day for the rental. And, they need 30 days in advance to reserve.

You guys are right.....it's a bit pricey but it seems like the best way to go.

Again, thanks for the info. on the place to call.

They ask your height and weight because certain scooters only hold up to 250 lbs, and you would need a larger scooter if you weigh more than that, which might cost more. More than that, they go by the amount of days you will be cruising and the port you are in at the end of the cruise. When you figured the cost of your rental (and I know I paid more than that, but it probably was a longer cruise), it isn't a bad deal at all. I've rented scooters at Disneyland and they are about $80.00 for the day, and recently rented a scooter at Sea World (mine was broken) for $46.00 a day.

We cruise often and I always need the scooter on a cruise and when I go to Disneyland, etc. (I have an annual pass....I'm really just a big kid :)). I decided after renting about 3 times to buy my own. I found a 3 month old scooter in my local pennysaver (where they have garage sales, items for sale etc.), for $450. Pride Go Go is an excellent scooter for travel. It comes apart and fits into any trunk. If you park where there is valet parking (even at our mall), the valet guys take it out of your trunk, etc. so you don't even have to lift it. The battery comes out for charging, so for all intents and purposes you could just leave the scooter in your trunk and you're ready to go wherever life takes you.

They ask your height and weight because certain scooters only hold up to 250 lbs' date=' and you would need a larger scooter if you weigh more than that, which might cost more. More than that, they go by the amount of days you will be cruising and the port you are in at the end of the cruise. When you figured the cost of your rental (and I know I paid more than that, but it probably was a longer cruise), it isn't a bad deal at all. I've rented scooters at Disneyland and they are about $80.00 for the day, and recently rented a scooter at Sea World (mine was broken) for $46.00 a day.

We cruise often and I always need the scooter on a cruise and when I go to Disneyland, etc. (I have an annual pass....I'm really just a big kid :)). I decided after renting about 3 times to buy my own. I found a 3 month old scooter in my local pennysaver (where they have garage sales, items for sale etc.), for $450. Pride Go Go is an excellent scooter for travel. It comes apart and fits into any trunk. If you park where there is valet parking (even at our mall), the valet guys take it out of your trunk, etc. so you don't even have to lift it. The battery comes out for charging, so for all intents and purposes you could just leave the scooter in your trunk and you're ready to go wherever life takes you.[/quote']

Thank you, this is great information!

Just one more answer for you - There are 2 companies that rent wheelchairs/electric scooters for RCI and Princess. I've rented from Care Vacations my last 3 cruises, and this one (4 nites) I priced both companies. Care Vacations was $195 for the 4 nights, and Special Needs at Sea is $245. I figured that for 4 nites, $50 was better in my pocket than in Care Vacations, so I'm going with Special Needs. I leave in 3 days, and am hoping everything works out and I will then continue with special needs at sea.

If you decide on Special Needs at Sea as your vendor, then don't rush to reserve now. I see your cruise is several months away. Special Needs at Sea runs sales every now and then, so it's worth while to wait. While their site doesn't give prices, they do advertise when a sale will be in effect. By the way, IIRC, you pay at the time you reserve.

DW has rented scooters from Special Needs at Sea three times. Princess does accept them as an approved vendor.

Shalom, Andy.

Just one more answer for you - There are 2 companies that rent wheelchairs/electric scooters for RCI and Princess. I've rented from Care Vacations my last 3 cruises, and this one (4 nites) I priced both companies. Care Vacations was $195 for the 4 nights, and Special Needs at Sea is $245. I figured that for 4 nites, $50 was better in my pocket than in Care Vacations, so I'm going with Special Needs. I leave in 3 days, and am hoping everything works out and I will then continue with special needs at sea.

Good to know, thanks!

If you decide on Special Needs at Sea as your vendor, then don't rush to reserve now. I see your cruise is several months away. Special Needs at Sea runs sales every now and then, so it's worth while to wait. While their site doesn't give prices, they do advertise when a sale will be in effect. By the way, IIRC, you pay at the time you reserve.

DW has rented scooters from Special Needs at Sea three times. Princess does accept them as an approved vendor.

Shalom, Andy.

It's good to know there's more than one choice!

• 5 years later...

I just rented an electric scooter for my husband for an upcoming Princess cruise to Mexico. I hope it works out! I do have a question and will check the disabled board (didn't know there was one). Husband can't get from check in area to cabin without scooter. I assume there'll be people there to help? In the past we've taken our own scooter so this wasn't an issue.

http://www.specialneedsatsea.com

I just rented an electric scooter for my husband for an upcoming Princess cruise to Mexico. I hope it works out! I do have a question and will check the disabled board (didn't know there was one). Husband can't get from check in area to cabin without scooter. I assume there'll be people there to help? In the past we've taken our own scooter so this wasn't an issue.

This thread is over 6 years old. The OP has sailed many times since asking this question and is a seasoned traveler. It is best to start a new thread and ask your question that pertains just to you.

Edited by notentirelynormal

Just let Princess know you will need a wheelchair to get from check-in to cabin.

They will have one at the terminal and bring your husband to the cabin using it.

Just let Princess know you will need a wheelchair to get from check-in to cabin.

They will have one at the terminal and bring your husband to the cabin using it.

I'm a worrier so now I have nothing to worry about... at the moment! Thanks for your reply.