Do they actually weigh you for excursions?

gaubow

So, my family of 5 are signed up for horseback riding in Cabo. I am a little heavier than my usual weight, right at 240. 240 is the weight restricition. Pretty sure that I can lose 5 lbs in the next 9 days or so. My wife tells me that I carry my weight well. (is she just saying that?)

The worry is, though, we do have 2 days at sea prior to the excursion, so I will be eating bad food i am sure if I don't "watch it". Also, what if their scales are heavy? We all know that scales don't weigh the same... few pounds either way.

Do I really need to worry so much about cutting weight? Is it worth watching what i eat (and drink) for the first two days of the cruise?

I read on a thread that the operator of a zip line excursion did pull out a scale for a customer, but I am thinking that may be more for safety?

Has anyone seen them pull out a scale on anyone for horseback riding?

Thanks for any help and advice.

So, my family of 5 are signed up for horseback riding in Cabo. I am a little heavier than my usual weight, right at 240. 240 is the weight restricition. Pretty sure that I can lose 5 lbs in the next 9 days or so. My wife tells me that I carry my weight well. (is she just saying that?)

Do I really need to worry so much about cutting weight? Is it worth watching what i eat (and drink) for the first two days of the

Yes they will weigh you. Why should the horse have to carry extra weight?

Lose weight or try something else!

The worry is, though, we do have 2 days at sea prior to the excursion, so I will be eating bad food i am sure if I don't "watch it". Also, what if their scales are heavy? We all know that scales don't weigh the same... few pounds either way.

Do I really need to worry so much about cutting weight? Is it worth watching what i eat (and drink) for the first two days of the cruise?

I read on a thread that the operator of a zip line excursion did pull out a scale for a customer, but I am thinking that may be more for safety?

No, I have been on a few horsebck riding excursions and have NEVER seen them weigh anyone or even ask anyone what they weigh!! Just go and have fun and don't worry about it!! :D

Ya, that 240 is pretty bogus too. I mean, for a taller guy 240 isn't exactly obese. We have gone of a few of these type of excursions over the years, they ususally give the biggest guys the biggest horses. I have seen them weight folks for parasailing/zip line, but never for the horses. If you are pretty close to the 240 you should be all set.

So I will give you the perspective from an Equine Vet and cruiser

The times I have been they did not weigh the rider...but I would hope that they would refuse to allow someone that was obviously obese the chance to ride. That being said your weight sounds like it could be fine depending upon the type of horses they are using (unfortunately) you may not know that till you get there.

Another thing to consider would be you general athletic ability. I have seen heavier but athletic folks sit a horse much better than some lighter but unathletic folks. Balance plays a large part in riding and if you are sort of "athletically" heavy versus the other option you may find that you could even do "better' than some lighter riders. For example a very musculature person is going to weigh more than some folks with a large amount of fat...but the musculature person that works out and is simply heavy because the muscle weighs more...they will probably sit "lighter" on the horse than the person who does not work out.

Typically ride organizers would mount a heavier rider on a horse built to handle that weight. If you decide to go on the excursion just be sure that they have you on a suitable mount. If you feel that the mount that they place you on is too small for the job, then request a different mount or forgoe the ride.

Sometimes these horses are not of the highest caliber to begin with and operators in different countries have different tolerance levels as to what they consider "sound". Even Carnival falls into this at Half Moon Cay. One horse in particular that I saw being used when I was there was what we call student level lame and had obvious degenrative joint disease in his front knee. So again if they mount you on a horse that you feel is not suitable...be kind to the horse and request a more suitable mount.

Finally, dropping a few pounds is always a good idea so good luck. And have fun on your cruise.

If overloaded the horse will sit down and refuse to move. Imagine how much they are carrying when loaded down with gear and two people-

Why would they be loaded down with gear and two people?:confused:

Sitting down and refusing to move...yeah I wouldn't count on that happening.

Just use common sense and ride and appropriately size critter

Why would they be loaded down with gear and two people?:confused:

Sitting down and refusing to move...yeah I wouldn't count on that happening.

Just use common sense and ride and appropriately size critter

Not loaded with gear and two people on an excursion- but horses in other situations often are loaded with gear and two people. And are fine.

As expected, I knew I would get "lose weight" answers. Too funny. Anyway, I have been horseback riding several times throughout the country. I am not obese and have no issues mounting the horse with ease.

I lean toward gtalum's thoughts, but wanted to be sure. I was thinking that they are discouraging the obese from even showing up. Was just curious if anyone had "witnessed" a weighing.

I will continue to "eat right" the next week and I am sure I will lose the 5 and at least be close. Thanks for the reassurance. Oh, and thanks for the advice to just lose the weight...:0-)

As expected, I knew I would get "lose weight" answers. Too funny. Anyway, I have been horseback riding several times throughout the country. I am not obese and have no issues mounting the horse with ease.

I lean toward gtalum's thoughts, but wanted to be sure. I was thinking that they are discouraging the obese from even showing up. Was just curious if anyone had "witnessed" a weighing.

I will continue to "eat right" the next week and I am sure I will lose the 5 and at least be close. Thanks for the reassurance. Oh, and thanks for the advice to just lose the weight...:0-)

Not loaded with gear and two people on an excursion- but horses in other situations often are loaded with gear and two people. And are fine.

Well while I agree that in some situations a horse loaded with gear and two people maybe ok...I would say that no that is not a common occurence and no they would not always be fine. Of course it would all depend upon lots of different variables. So again using common sense is best.

Now if you are talking about a driving horse that would be different. They are pulling the weight then and not carrying the weight so sure they are often pulling quite a bit of weight.

Of course if you are using what you see in third world countries as a guide to what a horse "can do" realize that those horse may get thru and survive but they pay a high price for that type of overuse. But in those cases folks are doing what they must to survive and the horse is simply a means to an end.

I usually try and avoid these threads but i'll weigh in....

I am a veterinarian (agriculture research not equine) and I am horrified at your idea!

Horses in tropical countries are usually fine, meaning light in bone and muscle, it's the only way they can work in the heat. Fine horses have a definite carrying capacity. If you weigh more than 240lbs, which I do by the way, there is no other way to describe your plan than cruel!

Don't you find it odd that if a Zipline says no one over 240lbs, you won't sneak on because your health and safety depends on it, but when it comes to the health and safety of a horse you are asking whether or not they enforce the maximum weight?!

Are you going to Mazatlan. Ride there instead with Randi's Happy Horses. Randi is American, her horses are well taken care of and she will make sure you get the proper horse.

I usually try and avoid these threads but i'll weigh in....

I am a veterinarian (agriculture research not equine) and I am horrified at your idea!

Horses in tropical countries are usually fine, meaning light in bone and muscle, it's the only way they can work in the heat. Fine horses have a definite carrying capacity. If you weigh more than 240lbs, which I do by the way, there is no other way to describe your plan than cruel!

Don't you find it odd that if a Zipline says no one over 240lbs, you won't sneak on because your health and safety depends on it, but when it comes to the health and safety of a horse you are asking whether or not they enforce the maximum weight?!

Have you ever been to Cabo? It is not tropical. Cabo is what one would call desert.

I've only seen people weighed for helicopter/small plane rides where the distribution matters.

However, if you choose to "hope you've lost 5 lbs" (keep in mind, the limit is with clothes) remember you might just lose your money and not be allowed to participate, and since you know your over the limit you've really lost your ability to complain.

Have fun with whatever excursions you do decide to do, but IMO safety requirements are there for a reason, whether it's for you or the horse.

Doogles,

Are you horrified at MY "plan"? To be clear, I am not "planning" to torture a horse in Mexico. If you are insinuating that me riding a horse at 239lbs. when the requirement is 240lbs. is torture, you are belittling the wrong person.

Lighten up there vet, and try to look at my inquiry as it was intended.

This thread reminds me of all the others like it: My kid is 7--can he join the teen club? We don't have a birth certificate but we have a newspaper clipping etc.

You know what the rules are. You seem to be looking for 'permission' from a bunch of faceless, made-up names to deliberately break the rules.

So, despite the professional advice you got here, you can cherry pick the answer that best eases your conscience and then go do whatever you want.

Yikes! I'll quit defending my question after this. I never said that I was over the weight limit of 240 and am not one of the people that Fin is describing.

If I weigh 241 I will not complain that they don't let me ride the horse.

I understand that they are running a company and protecting their investments.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Archived