Prepaid Verizon cell question re Alaska

fletcher57

I've been reading an old discussion about cell phone usage while on board (just stupidly responded to a post that had been posted in 2009 before I realized what I had done). I have a Verizon prepaid phone and wonder if any of you have had experience using one of these while on board. I only use it rarely - mostly for emergencies. Right now I have something like 15 hours available to make calls until I make my next minimum payment in a few days. This balance will build significantly so I'll have a ton of minutes to use by May 2011 when I'm hoping to be heading for Alaska. I'm wondering if I can use these minutes while on board. Thanks. Joyce

When you use your cell onboard the ship, it must go through the ships cell service, and you will be charged the extra for using it onboard. Pre-paid or not, there will be an extra charge if used onboard the ship. If memory serves me correctly, it is around $2.95 per minute EXTRA. In port or away from the ship, it will be a different story.

Princess ships use the cell services of Maritime Communications Partners (http://www.mcp.com). MCP has agreements with most cell carriers. You can check with Verizon and MCP to see if your cell phone will work. Personally I doubt your prepaid cell phone will work. Calls made with the ship's cell tower costs $2.49/minute. Also check with Verizon to make sure your contract covers Alaska. Most do but some don't.

Archived