EPIC - Western - 12/11/10 with kids

IamOnVacation

Traveled with DW, DD 8 and DS 4, plus 23 others in our group, friends and family.

Ship - beautiful, outside and inside. Everything is first class about the ship. The furniture, decor, amenities. We had a family balcony for 4 of us. It worked out great. DD got the pullman, DS the sofa.

Service - not so great. Every restaurant we went to, it was at least 2 hour affair. Very slow and not so friendly. Same for the bartenders. We were in french, hibachi, taste and manhattan room.. same experience in all of them. We preferred the buffet, so we could spend more time doing something other than waiting for the waiter/food to show up.

Shows - great. Caution, if you are planning to attend cirque, pay up for the premium seats. we got standard seating and got seated on first floor along the wall. it is obstructed view with the overhead ceiling blocking half the acts that are done in the air. very annoying.

Ports - The weather wasn't so good the whole week. It was very windy on the ship and cloudy. For the port days, all we wanted to do was go to the beach and get some sun. Turned out to be harder than anticipated. In costa maya we were meeting up with friends in malahul beach, in front of a restaurant we agreed on. The driver had no idea of the name or pretended not to know, because i don't know how it is possible since there are only some 20 places there. In Roatan, we went to Infinity Bay, but it was very windy and cold on that day, so we couldn't go to the beach. Ended up turning around and going back to the ship. Again the driver was not friendly or cooperating. In Cozumel went to Paradise Island. That was great place. We finally got some sun :)

Overall we had a great vacation. DD had the most fun of all. She did all the slides many times, never a line on any of the days. She enjoyed the kids recesses, shows, food, etc. My DS not so much. I think he was a bit overwhelmed with the whole experience. IMO it is better suited for older kids, 7 and above, but all kids are different.

If you have any questions, I will be more than happy to reply

Thanks for sharing. Regarding Cirque, you can also get to the event early with "standard" seating and ask to be seated upstairs. Other than the front tables on the floor the upstairs seats are the best in the house.

Thanks for sharing. Regarding Cirque, you can also get to the event early with "standard" seating and ask to be seated upstairs. Other than the front tables on the floor the upstairs seats are the best in the house.

yes, agree. but by the time we got to the door and because of the size of our group they couldn't seat us upstairs. don't think it is worth taking the chance

Five course dinner in a dining room should take 100 to 120 minutes. Anything less is fast food.

That makes it impossible to have dinner & show in the same night if you want to eat reasonably late, say 7 pm or later...

Wow - was also on 12/11 Epic cruise with DH. Totally different opinion on the weather. Went to Maya Chan in Costa Maya - great beach day. In Roatan, private driver through Victor Bodden tours. Took us where ever we wanted. Stopped at beach resort for a day pass. I think it was the Mayan Princess. Pools awesome, beach a little windy but water warm. Driver stayed close by entire time..perfect.

yes, agree. but by the time we got to the door and because of the size of our group they couldn't seat us upstairs. don't think it is worth taking the chance

They took our group of 11 right upstairs without us asking. I guess we got there about 30 minutes before the show.

Archived