Victory Itinerary - Things to do in Port

Spire2000

So I've been struggling with what to do in each port and haven't really found a good resource to help me. I know they are out there, but I just haven't found it. Every excursion resources I know just throws options at you without personal feedback. I'm hoping the folks here may be helpful due to the vast amount of experience. I am traveling with a a group of 6, mid-late 30's, all whom are new to cruising and these islands in particular.

I considered posting this in the Roll Call thread, but I would imagine most in that thread will also be new to the islands.

Let me throw my ports at you and point out some of my thoughts.

We would like maybe two beach visits, some shopping (we like the knick knack touristy/craft stuff more than Jewelery), and one day seeing the rain-forest somewhere. Would also prefer not to do a full excursion each day, but rather 1 or 2 excursions and the rest via other methods.

San Juan - Flying in the evening before the cruise. Looking for a good authentic Puerto Rican restaurant in the Old San Juan area. Suggestions?

Barbados - No idea what to do here. Maybe the beach? Would like to visit Bert's Bar actually.

St Lucia - Considering Herod's Land and Sea Safari tour.

St Kitts - No idea what to do here. Beach day # 2?

St Maarten - Would like a tour of the island, both sides.

US Virgin Islands - Shopping I guess? Anything else here?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Have you checked out the ports of call area for each of these? That's how I decided what I wanted to do.

No, I haven't. I will now though. The vast array of boards on this forum is a little overwhelming for a new user.

Thanks for the tip!

Not a problem. There is great info over there on the independent tour operators as well. Our Victory cruise was the first where we did all of our tours independently/went to beaches on our own.

On another note, we did do St. Kitts as our second beach day also. However, our cruise was before they took Dominica off the itinerary so we didn't have any sea days.

In Barbados we spent the day (approx 10-3 pm) at the Hilton. You can get an all inclusive pass for $35 for the day which gives you use of their pools, towels, etc and also includes lunch plus one alcoholic drink (or you can get three drinks but no lunch). Well worth it - I would have paid twice that for the relaxing day we had there. Gorgeous hotel on a beautiful section of beach.

We did something similar in St. Lucia and visited the Rendezvous resort for the day (approximately the same times as Barbados). This was an adults only resort and for $50 was completely all inclusive - eat & drink as much as you want and make use of their pools, beach, etc. Another wonderful day and absolutely worth every penny.

We opted to visit the hotels because we had been to both islands before. This was a nice little break in the midst of the cruise for us and something I never would have thought to do without Buffettfan25's suggestion here on the cruise critic forums!

So I've been struggling with what to do in each port and haven't really found a good resource to help me. I know they are out there, but I just haven't found it. Every excursion resources I know just throws options at you without personal feedback. I'm hoping the folks here may be helpful due to the vast amount of experience. I am traveling with a a group of 6, mid-late 30's, all whom are new to cruising and these islands in particular.

I considered posting this in the Roll Call thread, but I would imagine most in that thread will also be new to the islands.

Let me throw my ports at you and point out some of my thoughts.

We would like maybe two beach visits, some shopping (we like the knick knack touristy/craft stuff more than Jewelery), and one day seeing the rain-forest somewhere. Would also prefer not to do a full excursion each day, but rather 1 or 2 excursions and the rest via other methods.

San Juan - Flying in the evening before the cruise. Looking for a good authentic Puerto Rican restaurant in the Old San Juan area. Suggestions?

Barbados - No idea what to do here. Maybe the beach? Would like to visit Bert's Bar actually. Grabbed a cab to Accra/Rockley Beach. It was wonderful

St Lucia - Considering Herod's Land and Sea Safari tour. We did Cosol I felt that was too commercialized and many many vans, but I heard over and over that Spencer Ambrose was wonderful

St Kitts - No idea what to do here. Beach day # 2? Rose and Jims Taxi they will take you on a nice tour and then take you to Cockleshell beach meet Wilbur the Famous pig and stay as long as you would like they stay there with you. Nicest people Rose and Jim

St Maarten - Would like a tour of the island, both sides. Had Bernards Tour scheduled but we were waived off and couldn't dock so cant give any feedback except that my deposit with them was refunded within an hour of the ship turning away.

US Virgin Islands - Shopping I guess? Anything else here? Papa Bear Air Force One Tours the absolute best day I have ever spent on this island, except for the time I got a little bling downtown.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I hope this helps. Its just what we liked to do.

read some of the detailed Victory reviews - you'll get a lot of ideas from those - not the ones on the "reviews" page - search the forums for reviews - much more detail, lots of photos - that's how I'm planning my time.

I have a list going somewhere, but here's kind of what I'm thinking:

Barbados - shipwreck and turtles catamaran tour

St. Kitts - Island Tour (Grey Tours? undecided or may have island mixed)

St. Maarten - undecided

St. Thomas - over to St. John (probably on the ferry) - last time we did the tour with Sonny Liston and loved it - a really fun time at a great price!

St. Lucia - Cocol tours(or other - I didn't realize it was so huge) island tour and beach time

Yes there is a lot of info out here. I have found a few really good reviews I'll post here for you.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1038334&page=6

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1149436&highlight=carnival+victory&page=2

At this time we have only booked the train tour in St Kitts. Considering the whale/dolphin site seeing in St Lucia and the distillery in Barbados and beach days for the other ports.

I just CANT WAIT!!!

Hi

Just wondered when you are cruising on the Victory? We are on February 6th,2011. Just wondered if you are on our cruise? Here is what we are doing

St Thomas- Sonny Liston tours

Barbados- silver moon catamaran

St Lucia- Herods sea tour

St Maarten- considering Bernards but haven't decided

St Kitts- beach day with Carnival excursion

San Juan- Segway tour

Kellie

I would highly Herod's tour in St Lucia. I've done both the Land and the Land and Sea and enjoyed them both. He's a former teacher and is very knowledgeable about everything on the island. You'll be able to buy touristy things at the sites you stop at. I bought a few necklaces at the botanical garden. We loved Jalouise beach. I only wished we could have stayed there longer. Be sure to have some of his mom's rum punch. You can buy banana mustard and their hot sauce from Herod's parents. Those make good gifts. Be sure to get mangoes if they're in season. Yum, Julie mangoes!! Ask Herod where to get them.

Once my DH discovered Orient beach at St Maarten he won't go anywhere else.

We ate at Raices in Old San Juan. My Mofongo was delicious but it seemed a little expensive for lunch. We'd definitely go again.

We took a cab to Sapphire beach in St Thomas and had a great day. Great snorkeling. The iguanas on the beach were amazing. This time we're going to take the ferry to St John.

In Barbados be sure you ask the price before you get in the cab - some cabbies really try to gouge you. We've been to Boatyard (too noisy but beautiful beach and easy to get to) and Accra (just lovely) We're planning on going to Accra again this next trip.

Have a wonderful time in that little slice of heaven. :p

Paula

Yes there is a lot of info out here. I have found a few really good reviews I'll post here for you.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1038334&page=6

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1149436&highlight=carnival+victory&page=2

At this time we have only booked the train tour in St Kitts. Considering the whale/dolphin site seeing in St Lucia and the distillery in Barbados and beach days for the other ports.

I just CANT WAIT!!!

Thanks for these. I hadn't seen these as it seems that cruise reviews get posted all over the place here. I'm going to spend some time going these and planning my own cruise review!

Archived