Do Eurodam cabins VA6001 or 6002 accommodate 3rd person

CarolZaga

Does anyone know or can they confirm if the handicap-accessible cabins VA6001/6002 on the Eurodam or Nieuw Amsterdam can accommodate a 3rd person. My husband who is disabled, my sister, and I are interested in booking one of those cabins so I asked HAL's Access Office for photos. They did send me photos of both cabins and the photos show that the sofa is a sofa bed and is made up as a bed. However, when I asked my travel agent to check with HAL on availability of one of these cabins for 3 people and to book it, she was informed that the cabins only accommodate 2 which is really strange since the photos show otherwise! My agent checked again with another one of HAL's reservation reps and still got the same response. So, if there is anyone who could confirm that these cabins only accommodate 2 or can accommodate 3 with the sofa as a sofa bed -- I would really appreciate it.:)

Does anyone know or can they confirm if the handicap-accessible cabins VA6001/6002 on the Eurodam or Nieuw Amsterdam can accommodate a 3rd person. My husband who is disabled, my sister, and I are interested in booking one of those cabins so I asked HAL's Access Office for photos. They did send me photos of both cabins and the photos show that the sofa is a sofa bed and is made up as a bed. However, when I asked my travel agent to check with HAL on availability of one of these cabins for 3 people and to book it, she was informed that the cabins only accommodate 2 which is really strange since the photos show otherwise! My agent checked again with another one of HAL's reservation reps and still got the same response. So, if there is anyone who could confirm that these cabins only accommodate 2 or can accommodate 3 with the sofa as a sofa bed -- I would really appreciate it.:)

Yes, 6001 and 6002 do accommodate 3 people. they are HUGE!!! The drawbacks though are that you only get to use the side verandah (even though it is listed as a wrap around) as the front is blocked with limited access only at the discretion of the Captain. AND you MUST keep your curtains closed, and verandah lights off) to avoid causing problems on the bridge. I have to add that when the Captain opens the front it is open to anyone who happens to go out there via the outside door next to the stateroom. Hope that makes sense to you, I know it confused me until I physically saw it.

It will look Very SIMILAR (I think 6001 & 6002 will be a bit larger) to the photos of the Oosterdam's SY 5001 Superior Verandah Suite Stateroom Deck 5 you can see those photos (photos taken October 2010) here: http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Oosterdam/index.html

I am waiting on diluvsdisney to send me photos of Nieuw Amsterdam's 6001 as her parents had that stateroom on our cruise 28 Nov 2010.

Joanie

Thanks TGRO and Joannie for the info. I'll inform my travel agent and hopefully, she'll be able to get an agent at HAL who will book the cabin as a triple. Joannie, I'll try to send you the photos that I have of 6001 and 6002 for your HAL cabin photo site:). I'm not that tech savy, but will do my best!

Good luck booking as a triple. My 'parental units' (DF and step-mom) needed a HA with balcony. HAL wouldn't let them book the cabin as a triple (yes, it was marked with the little circle indicating it as such). We ended up with my half-sis in our adjoining cabin.

Give it a try, the worst they can do is say no. Who knows, maybe you'll get lucky.

Thanks Mary Ellen. It certainly doesn't make sense that the photos that I received from HAL's Access and Compliance Department actually show both of the cabins as being able to accommodate a 3rd person. The sofa is clearly made up as a bed! I'll keep on trying with this and will go contact HAL's Access and Compliance in the hopes that they may be able to intervene some how. Thanks again everyone!

:)

I was just looking at HAL's site.

On the Eurodam cabins VA6001 and VA6002 show 2 symbols -- the circle indicating that it can accommadate a third person and the wheel chair indicating that it is a handicapped cabin.

But on deck plans for the Nieuw Amsterdam there is only 1 symbol -- the wheel chair.

So this could be why there is so much confusion.

Thanks Mary Ellen. It certainly doesn't make sense that the photos that I received from HAL's Access and Compliance Department actually show both of the cabins as being able to accommodate a 3rd person. The sofa is clearly made up as a bed! I'll keep on trying with this and will go contact HAL's Access and Compliance in the hopes that they may be able to intervene some how. Thanks again everyone!

:)

Thank you so much Carol for the photos!! I have them up and running on the regular Eurodam and the Handicapped Page also.

Might I make a suggestion? Tell HAL's Access and Compliance that your dad requires your sisters' attention 24/7 because your mother cannot handle it by herself, and that is the reson you need 6001 or 6002 as a triple.

Merry Christmas to you also:)

Joanie

I found out from HAL's Access and Compliance Office that cabins 6001 and 6002 are a different lay-out than those on the Eurodam. On the Nieuw A, they removed the sleep sofa and replaced it with a chair. This is probably due to a "pole" that appears in the room from floor to ceiling. Obviously some weight-bearing architectural change. Given this, cabins 6001 and 6002 on the Nieuw are doubles only. Thanks everyone for all of your help!:)

We stayed in one of those cabins on the Eurodam - DH requires a HC cabin as he is in a wheelchair.

The "pole" you mentioned is also in those cabins in the Eurodam [and also in comparable cabins in the Vista ships."

On the Eurodam, I know that the sofa was very close to the bed, making passage between the sofa and bed difficult for a person in a wheelchair. The sofa was pretty torn up on one corner - I sent pictures to HAL to show them what had occurred because of the tight quarters. They may have taken that into consideration when designing the Nieuw Amsterdam cabins 6001/6002.

And to further explain - those cabins do not have a wrap-around balcony.

They have a standard-size balcony that you find in a VA.

There is a public balcony area just forward of the cabin, and it is not open when under sail, for obvious reasons. To access it, you would have to leave your cabin. That is nothing like a wrap-around balcony in a wake cabin -- apples and oranges.

Thank you so much Carol for the photos!! I have them up and running on the regular Eurodam and the Handicapped Page also.

Might I make a suggestion? Tell HAL's Access and Compliance that your dad requires your sisters' attention 24/7 because your mother cannot handle it by herself, and that is the reson you need 6001 or 6002 as a triple.

Merry Christmas to you also:)

Joanie

Do I understand this correctly -- you are suggesting she LIE to HAL's access and compliance staff about her need for the cabin?

She said she is sailing with her husband and sister. I did not see any mention of her parents coming along. It's her DH who has a disability, and obviously does not need her sister's attention 24/7.

I am appalled you would suggest being dishonest with the HAL staff.

Do I understand this correctly -- you are suggesting she LIE to HAL's access and compliance staff about her need for the cabin?

She said she is sailing with her husband and sister. I did not see any mention of her parents coming along. It's her DH who has a disability, and obviously does not need her sister's attention 24/7.

I am appalled you would suggest being dishonest with the HAL staff.

Thank you for pointing out what I misread. I read father instead of husband:eek:, and thought that her mother would need help with her father, but since it is Carol's husband instead then no, she most likely would not need that assistance.

Sorry Carol for my confusion.:o

Joanie

Archived