TRAVEL INSURANCE DOESN"T ALWAYS PAY OFF

Merion_Mom

First, I am SO sorry that this has happened to you. Good luck!!!

Secondly, maybe this has already been posted (I don't have time to read all the posts in this thread tonight...), but is RCL's insurance "better"? This is the insurance I purchased and I am now very concerned about what it covers (will be reading between the lines tomorrow, after a good night's sleep). Insurance has always been a pet peeve of mine.. sigh.

Again, good luck to you. Please keep us informed of your situation.

What the heck, since this thread has reared its ugly head again...........

I should have taken my own advice. Buy travel insurance.

I had a real heart-in-my-mouth moment when I was on the Crown Princess last month. Before they announced that Princess would refund our entire cruise fare and pay ALL expenses associated with abruptly ending our cruise and flying us home, I realized that I hadn't bought the travel insurance. After all, "I was cruising in and out of NY" and didn't have to worry about flying.

New lesson learned. BUY TRAVEL INSURANCE.

Since Princess fully reimbursed you, travel insurance would have been a waste of money.

Since Princess fully reimbursed you, travel insurance would have been a waste of money.

While this is true, Princess was under no obligation to reimburse anyone. It was just the right thing to do both ethically and from a PR standpoint. However, they could have just as easily said, "Sorry, stuff happens." Therefore I could see some people having a Maalox moment until everything was settled.

I would say it's better to buy insurance and have piece of mind but.......be sure to read the ENTIRE insurance contract. There are often many exclusions and stipulations that can allow them to get out of paying a claim. Some, for travel delay/trip interuption, require the delay/interuption last at least 48 hours. Now if the airline doesn't get you out the day of your cruise but manages to get you there a day late, that's only 24 hours at best, not 48. So even though you have insurance, it might not always pay. As much as I hate to say it I've been on the short end of that stick to the tune of $1,400 (oversea's flight).

While this is true, Princess was under no obligation to reimburse anyone. It was just the right thing to do both ethically and from a PR standpoint. However, they could have just as easily said, "Sorry, stuff happens." Therefore I could see some people having a Maalox moment until everything was settled.
Precisely.

The Grand list people got nothing. Not even acknowledgment that the ship had listed! And the CCer's who posted here about it were CREAMED - called liars, and worse.

Precisely.

The Grand list people got nothing. Not even acknowledgment that the ship had listed! And the CCer's who posted here about it were CREAMED - called liars, and worse.

OK, I guess I'm sort of lost here. I haven't been reading the Princess boards so I guess I'm a little behind the power curve.

I thought in a previous post you stated Princess reimburssed all you expenses. Did they reimburse some but not all? Man that sure would stink. Especially if they wouldn't even acknowledge the incident happened. It would make me think twice about ever sailing with Princess again.

As for getting creamed on the forums, seems like that happens a lot if anyone critisizes ones favorite cruise line. It would make me not want to post on CC anymore if I was called a liar just for posting the facts as to what had happened. But then again, I haven't followed the Princess boards so I don't know what people have said to begin with.

Doug, Carol was on the Crown Princess and had all of her expenses reimbursed by Princess. When it first happened though, Princess was not clear on what if any expenses they would reimburse.

The Grand Princess had the exact same thing happen in February when sailing out of Galveston and those cruisers got nothing from Princess, plus people on these boards didn't believe it really happened. I think that is what Carol was referring to and she can gladly correct me if I'm wrong.

Doug, Carol was on the Crown Princess and had all of her expenses reimbursed by Princess. When it first happened though, Princess was not clear on what if any expenses they would reimburse.

The Grand Princess had the exact same thing happen in February when sailing out of Galveston and those cruisers got nothing from Princess, plus people on these boards didn't believe it really happened. I think that is what Carol was referring to and she can gladly correct me if I'm wrong.

Wrona explained it PERFECTLY. (of course) :)

Makes perfect sense now. We'll, everything except for Princess not taking care of Grand passengers who had a similar incident. I guess if it makes the news they feel obligated to try to put a positive spin on it if possible. Nothing like having a ship list badly to the side and then have the news media report that you stiffed the passengers as well.

Precisely.

Didn't they get to complete their entire cruise, though?

Archived