Scuba excursion advice needed: Eurodam, Eastern Caribbean 7 night

YouShouldBeHere

Hello all,

A brand new CC member and my first post here :)

I've been on the Eurodam before and just snorkeled in Saint Thomas (great) and Half Moon Cay (disappointing) but I plan to take several Scuba excursions on this upcoming cruise Feb 5 through 12.

Any advice, tips, what to avoid, would be greatly appreciated :D

Thank you!

PS: If you're going to be on this cruise let me know!

Okay, looked around some... Are there 3 other certified scuba divers on Eurodam wanting a two tank dive of Grand Turk Wall on the morning of Feb 7th???

Cost is $85 USd per person + $27 equipment rental if needed.

Check out the roll call for your cruise here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1312238

That is the best place to find dive buddies and other info from others sailing with you:D

Diane

Edited by schoolinmy3

Hello all,

I've been on the Eurodam before and just snorkeled in Saint Thomas (great) and Half Moon Cay (disappointing) but I plan to take several Scuba excursions on this upcoming cruise Feb 5 through 12.

PS: If you're going to be on this cruise let me know!

Snorkeling at Half Moon Cay is disappointing from the main beach but great on the other side of island. 3 minute walk from dock

Snorkeled from beach at Grand Turks on 12/08/2010. We were only ship in port (Regent Voyager) and most all passengers on tour in AM. I was only one snorkeling and in water in AM. Asked locals where to snorkel; told me to snorkel as close to pier as I could. Nurse or lemon sharks, stingrays and 100's of tropical fish swimming under or near pier. Large schools of angel fish and parrot fish near shore.

The best two places to scuba on this itinerary are Grand Turk and St. Thomas.

I was in Grand Turk two weeks ago and dived with Bluewater Divers- grandturkscuba.com. The company is highly recommended on the scuba boards. They also do snorkelling excursions. The dive shop is a $5 taxi ride from the pier. The diving was amazing and I saw a multitude of different fish and coral, and I'm sure the snorkelling would be also.

I did my second certification dives in St. Thomas last November (2009). The company I used was Admiralty Dive - admiraltydive.com. Again, this company was recommended by the cc scuba board and it was excellent. They are located in downtown St. Thomas and will pick you up at the dock. I had a great time with them and you won't be disappointed either with the diving or snorkelling.

Let me know if you have any other questions about these companies.

San Juan and HMC are not known for their diving or snorkelling.

• 5 years later...

Hi YouShouldBeHere. My wife and spent a week diving St Thomas 2 years ago and it was great. Best dive was the Cow and Calf but the dive sites were all good. We dived with Admiralty and Aqua Marine. Admiralty doesn't visit the sites east of the island and they were generally better when the conditions were good. Sites south of the island are better when there not.

We also spent two weeks diving Puerto Rico. The best diving was at Culebra, 2nd best at Vieques. I doubt you can reach either of these in a day though but Im not sure. It might be possible. There is a dive site just east of San Juan with good reviews but we didn't dive there.

Were going to Turks this January aboard the Koningsdam. We're thinking of talking the cruise Certified Scuba excursion but can't seem to find details. The price is reasonable IF equipment rental is included. Do you know if equipment rental is included on all HAL dive excursions? I suspect it is but just want to make sure.

Voyage of the Vikings has a scuba/snorkel shore excursion in Iceland - they provide the dry suits, you provide the long underwear.

It is a drift dive between the two continental plates. Has anyone done this one in Iceland?