question about returning home after cruisetour

booklover12

We are booked on the Coral for next July, cruising to Alaska with 4 days on land. We are traveling by train from north Washington state to Vancouver, canada and boarding the ship in Vancouver. My question has to do with getting back to washington after our cruise. Our last day we will be in Fairbanks. Is flying to Seattle the only way to get home. What about taking a train from Fairbanks, or renting a car and driving home. Also, do we need to have a passport for any of these ways or will a passcard work.

Flying to Seattle is the only practical way to get home from Fairbanks.

There is no train that leaves the State of Alaska.

One can drive from Fairbanks to the lower 48 - if one has a week to spare.

No passport is required to fly to Seattle from Fairbanks.

Flying to Seattle is the only practical way to get home from Fairbanks.

There is no train that leaves the State of Alaska.

One can drive from Fairbanks to the lower 48 - if one has a week to spare.

No passport is required to fly to Seattle from Fairbanks.

Good answer. :) The distances are vast and even flying from Fairbanks to Seattle takes hours. Chances are you'll have a flight that stops in Anchorage on the way. As was pointed out above, when flying from one US city to another, a passport isn't required although it's a good form of ID.

Thanks for your help. My TA said we had to have passports to fly from Fairbanks to Seattle because we started our cruise in Vancouver, Canada. It is all confusing to me, but it's because we are flying. Anyway, we are trying to figure out other ways to get home. I don't want to spend the money on a passport when we can use our passcards. Can we fly back to Vancouver? We can take a train from Vancouver back to washington. Is there a train from fairbanks to vancouver? What about renting a car to drive to Vancouver?

Thanks for your help. My TA said we had to have passports to fly from Fairbanks to Seattle because we started our cruise in Vancouver, Canada. It is all confusing to me, but it's because we are flying. Anyway, we are trying to figure out other ways to get home. I don't want to spend the money on a passport when we can use our passcards. Can we fly back to Vancouver? We can take a train from Vancouver back to washington. Is there a train from fairbanks to vancouver? What about renting a car to drive to Vancouver?

I would contact Homeland Security directly to be sure unless someone did your itinerary recently with a Passcard. It is not clear from their FAQ.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/74/session/L3NpZC9ucG9zY2Npaw%3D%3D/p/0/c/283

You need to take a look at a map, and verify what the restrictions of the Passcard travel are. Link available for you above.

A passport is what?? $130??? Perhaps, compare that "small" cost, that is good for 10 years, at your consideration of multi day travel and big expenses by doing a land trip Fairbanks/Washington???

Only a general comment, be certain you fully understand your entire land tour, and it is what you want??? 4 day add ons, many times are poor choices.

I don't understand your TA's logic about the passport. Not saying you shouldn't have a passport BUT you sure don't need one to fly from Fairbanks to Seattle NONSTOP (or with a stop in Anchorage). However, IF the plane would happen to stop in Canada, THEN you need a passport.

Other than driving, taking the ferry or another cruise BACK to Vancouver, flying is your only option. Enjoy!!!

Archived