Can you pack this light?

faymuiheng

We did a week cruise and a week in the northeast visiting relatives with 3 suitcases plus backpacks for 5 of us. Thank heavens for lack of formal nights on the ship, and also thank heavens for a washer/dryer at the end of the first week. :) Having two teenage boys that can wear the same sized clothes helped too.

Managed a similar size for 11 nights on the Independence of the Seas. The airline we flew in on only allows 20kgs luggage (hand and hold is included in that). Excess luggage was not an option because it was a tiny plane and if we were too heavy our luggage would not travel with us.

We had two formal outfits for the 3 formal nights and made good use of the laundry.

If we had been on a warm weather cruise rather than leaving from the UK packing that lightly would have been simple. November weather meant we had to pack plently of warm items.

We did a Rick Steves European tour with a twenty pound carry on bag each. Yes, it can be done. You don't necessarily have to pack everything you can think of, you can buy items abroad as you go and discard items too...

With the airlines charging for bags in the hold and limiting carry ons, you need a light carry on bag to stuff and lift it into one of the overhead bins. Once in Europe, there aren't as many bell hops bringing your bags to your hotel room either. Nor will a cabbie stuff your bags in their cabs... Usually and most likely its up to you to lug your bags in Europe.

I suggest you view the film Up in the Air... Our bags weigh us down when flying...

I've done it myself. But the 7 day cruise was tough. Like most of you, I like the freestyle cruising NCL has going. I don't have to pack formal wear, and I love that fact. I take advantage of that wash package they always offer. I stuff that bag, and get my 25bucks worth.

I've done it myself. But the 7 day cruise was tough. Like most of you, I like the freestyle cruising NCL has going. I don't have to pack formal wear, and I love that fact. I take advantage of that wash package they always offer. I stuff that bag, and get my 25bucks worth.

I regularly do NCL cruises while staying within the carry on luggage allowance. Freestyle and the lack of formal wear makes the difference for me. On other cruise lines, I am apt to check a bag largely due to formal wear for two.

I found the article interesting. To me, her packing list seemed long on formal wear (5 formal nights) and short on daywear (21 days). I'd have packed a little black dress or two (or one dress and one dress slacks) that can be worn with various jackets, wraps, accessories to change them up. I'd have save that space for more daywear. meanwhile, no her list excluded the shorts, swim wear, and work out clothes always found in my luggage.

I did three weeks in Paris (hot), Seychelles (mid-temp and rainy), and South Africa (middle of winter-cold) with two teen daughters in less luggage - one roller like hers for all three of us, plus three carry-ons, less than 10 lbs each (for small plane restrictions). My daughter did 3 months in South Africa with less, and that included full camping gear - tent, sleeping bag, dishes, cookware, survival gear, etc..

But for cruises? I overpack lol...

Robin

I thought I did pretty good packing but I can't get it all in a carry-on. Actually I probably could, but I wouldn't have room for items purchased in various ports for the trip home! So I take the little bit larger suitcase with room to expand and check it.

We are in our seventies, so our back packing days are over. In my 30+ years in the airline business, we did a lot of those 3-4 nighters/long weekends. Since we do mostly transatlantic cruises, we spend a week or so in Europe, either pre- or post cruise, traveling by train and cab. We each have a 24" rolling suitcase and a cabin bag, which hangs off the suitcase by a strap. The weight of that bag balances the whole thing, so there is hardly any weight on the handle. We therefore have one hand free for opening doors and holding tickets, etc. And this setup allows us to walk off the ship with our baggage. Hurray for Freestyle Cruising!

The airline baggage fee is just one of the cruise expenses. Waddaya gonna do? Stay home?

My first cruise I packed 2 (yes, 2) suitcases and realized mid way through the 7 days, I could have easily packed less ... and one less suitcase for sure:o

My last cruise, we were forced to travel light - we flew to Florida during the time of no carry on bags/heightened security but they were just starting to ease up on that ruling when we headed south. We were allowed ONE of the following: a medium sized purse, a camera bag or a laptop. It wasn't an option of taking any or all, you had to choose one. Luckily there were three of us so each of us got one of the above and we packed them well. :D

We managed to get all of our clothes into 2 suitcases and my daughter's regulation carryon bag (which we had to check sadly but we knew we would).

I was proud of myself! Gone are my 2 suitcase days for sure ... perhaps I can just do a carryon next time?? OK, not but I can try.

I packed in a smaller suitcase for a 2 week transatlantic. The girls I travelled with were new to cruising and managed a huge suitcase each with the small roll on size to put in the overhead bin. At the end of the cruise I was helping them pack and showing them how they could have basically put everything they wore in a 20" suitcase and would have no stress at all. None of us did any laundry on that trip, we rinsed our underwear out every night, and I still ended up not wearing 2 pairs of pants I packed for 'better' evening dressing.

I am a big believer of co-ordinating everything so that you aren't bringing single outfits, everything needs to mix and match and be worn more than once. It isn't really that hard at all. ;)

I always do it when I go on vacation, cruise or not. It helps that we always go to warmer places and most of my clothes are shorts/capris and blouses/shirts that are not too heavy or thick. I bring 2 dresses that can be used for formal nights which are smaller than wearing 2-piece items. Everything including shoes (a pair of flats and sandals, and slippers) fit in my rolling carry-on bag! I also bring my backpack with me that has my laptop, small pillow, spare change of clothes, and beauty items. I also bring a pocketbook that has my meds, small camera and other important items.

"Pack Light, Move Fast" has been our motto for 20 years. Yes it can be done. Just packed for the Gem departing tomorrow, and okay it's only a week, but I'm taking less in a smaller wheeled carryon and over the shoulder tote than the woman in the article. Yes, it's a very tight packing job.

Hint -- we pack OLD underwear and socks and throw them out after wearing -- leaves room to bring something home that we bought on the trip.

This trip I will also heave out the old water shoes I am taking for the day at the beach.

And I deal with the hair blow dryer in the stateroom so I don't pack one of those. It might not be as powerful as mine at home, but I use it anyway.

:D

"Pack Light, Move Fast" has been our motto for 20 years. Yes it can be done. Just packed for the Gem departing tomorrow, and okay it's only a week, but I'm taking less in a smaller wheeled carryon and over the shoulder tote than the woman in the article. Yes, it's a very tight packing job.

Hint -- we pack OLD underwear and socks and throw them out after wearing -- leaves room to bring something home that we bought on the trip.

This trip I will also heave out the old water shoes I am taking for the day at the beach.

And I deal with the hair blow dryer in the stateroom so I don't pack one of those. It might not be as powerful as mine at home, but I use it anyway.

My in laws thought I was stupid to suggest bringing old undies and then tossing them! LOL...but then again they have been know to be wrong in their thinking from time to time:D

We have even gone as far as to actually buy cheap cheap cheap 12 packs of underware...like $5.99 per person...pack them in the packaging..and then toss them.

We usually travel as a family of 6 so not only have we been know to toss underware but socks as well...or we just wear sandals and avoid socks altogether.

Archived