Can you pack this light?

faymuiheng

:D

My in laws thought I was stupid to suggest bringing old undies and then tossing them! LOL...but then again they have been know to be wrong in their thinking from time to time:D

We have even gone as far as to actually buy cheap cheap cheap 12 packs of underware...like $5.99 per person...pack them in the packaging..and then toss them.

We usually travel as a family of 6 so not only have we been know to toss underware but socks as well...or we just wear sandals and avoid socks altogether.

(hi cru!:))

OK, I may have to try the tossing the underlovelies trick for my next cruise. Less laundry upon my return is always a good thing.

(hi cru!:))

OK, I may have to try the tossing the underlovelies trick for my next cruise. Less laundry upon my return is always a good thing.

Hi Kerry!

Long time no speak!!! Are you a FB friend of Pete or Toni?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!

i am in the over-packer to pack enough just in case range....never will be a LIGHT packer dont want to be...i need CHOICES and i dont like to wear alot of things more than once....to those that are travelin LIGHT...GOOD FOR YOU...but its not for some of us!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'd have to stop cruising if I had to worry about heavy bags. And another benefit is that it carry-on-only bags prevent us from picking up too many souvenirs. You really have to think twice about finding a post office and mailing things home - always an option tho if it is a really special find. Finally, I just feel so FREE when all my week's belongings are with me. I love the simplicity - the room stays uncluttered, things are easy to put away, no wondering which of the bags all the non-essential stuf is in.

for one thing, once we arrive, we can unpack in about ten minutes flat; and at the end of the vacation, repack in less; i love that aspect of packing lightly;so many less things to worry about; we are leaving on a cruise next week and i packed al of our clothes for the two of us in one carry on; in the other carry on, i put all of our snorkel equipment, and shoes and a few other little things. it's chalenging to pack light, but well worth it. binoculars and work out shoes wil go in hubby's backpack. we rewear lots but don't mind--sometimes i just do a load of laundry, if need be. grams98

What about toiletries? You can't even take toothpaste in hand luggage on a plane. This is the absolute minimum I'd need:

Deodorant

Toothpaste

Shampoo and Conditioner (I always save the last bits in the bottle, so I can just bin 'em).

Moisturiser

Sunscreen

Showergel (again I just take enough for the holiday and bin it)

I won't waste valuable holiday time shopping for essentials like these so what's the answer?

I did it for 10 days in late October! Since I needed some cold weather gear it was a hoot when I boarded the plane wearing my heaviest sweater, a blazer with my winter coat over all that (plus wearing my heaviest pair of shoes -my athletic ones!). I had plenty of variety as I like jersey knit pants and tops that I can just roll up in my suitcase. I also LOVE Onesole shoes. Brought two soles with a good varity of tops and it looked like I had a full shoe wardrobe.

For a seven day cruise, we have no trouble packing in a roll-aboard a piece, a duffel (that we use for our pre cruise hotel stay stuff and anything we need before the bags get delivered to the room) and a backpack that has our travel docs, ipod, camera, etc. The backpack is great as we use it for our day bag on excursions.

For our longer cruises, we usually end up with one roll-aboard and a larger rolling suitcase - not a huge one but maybe a 25" one?

For those who talked about taking a larger bag for souvenirs they pick up, we have two small duffles made out of very thin material that are designed to fold in on themselves and fit very easily in the pockets of our suitcases.

Last reminder - always a good idea to divide up your clothes between your bags just in case they don't make it to the ship!

I traveled to overseas once for 2 weeks and was advised to pack light by bringing 2 pairs of pants (and wearing one of the 2)! I can't tell you how I agonized about which pants to pack! Since then I've learned to travel lighter. Love Chico's travelers and clothing from Travelsmith. Just take stuff that does double duty and clothing that mixes and matches. Now, it's not the clothing I agonize over, but which shoes!

Chrispb - you can find small sizes of all these toiletries at a Target or Walmart. I usually bring 2 tiny toothpastes and two tiny sunscreens to last me a week. You can get creative (cream or powder make-up) and you can jam a lot of stuff in those quart sized zip lock bags. It all works. Even if you couldn't get it all in, for the price (and hassle) of a checked bag you can buy LOTS of toiletries in the ship's store. Remember too that your hair won't fall out if you use the complimentary shampoo and body wash for a week. It's an adventure worth attempting. Must admit tho that I use a portion of the room in my dh's zippy for my stuff. If he weren't along (or willing) I'd find a way. Oh - we pack his aftershave in old shampoo sample bottles - he brings two of those as well.

Archived