Prepaid DSC...

jarz85

Hi we just paid off our May cruise and chose to 'prepay' the DSC, all up it was $264 for 11 days. My question is how do the staff etc know we have prepaid it? Will they notice that its not being charged daily?

Thanks

99% of the staff will not know anything.

The accounting dept should know, and it will show as a credit.

I am glad this works for you.

for others thinking about doing this, here is my thoughts.

I would never pay off a cruise until shortly before the final payment date. I trust them, but why take any chances something could happen to your money, and that you can get it back if needed?

And I would never prepay the DSC. What if we did not cruise, cruiseline went under, etc etc etc. I will pay them on the last day.

I would never pay off a cruise until shortly before the final payment date. I trust them, but why take any chances something could happen to your money, and that you can get it back if needed?

And I would never prepay the DSC. What if we did not cruise, cruiseline went under, etc etc etc. I will pay them on the last day.

If you don't cruise, the DSC is fully refundable.

My understanding is that a list of those who've prepaid the DSC is made available to the crew, especially the cabin stewards, so that they know that they can therefore keep any additional cash tips given them.

I would think you could pay the DSC when you get onboard ( the first day)?

You can pay cash toward your onboard, why not pay your DSC?

We paid ours up front on our last cruise and all was good.

And yes some of you bashers will come back with "what if you are not happy with the service" well then Don't pay it up front.

My thoughts exactly. I never prepay anything unless there's a tangible benefit to be had (e.g., discount, giveaway, etc.). My thought is that I would rather hold onto my money as long as possible just in case there's an emergency and I need the cash. Once you give it up, it's never as easy to get it back. I can understand it in the case of non-U.S. cruisers taking advantage of fluctuations in currency exchange but that's about it. I have never understood the psychology of not wanting to see a big bill on the last day. What's the difference - you're paying the same total either way. I'm not denying that some people feel better doing it this way since many people have expressed that feeling. But I just don't understand it.

And since it's part of the discussion, FYI, I have never reduced or removed the DSC. I just prefer paying it at the end of the cruise.

...I have never understood the psychology of not wanting to see a big bill on the last day. What's the difference - you're paying the same total either way. ...

I am with you on this one. Especially since you still see that big bill at the end of the cruise. The only difference for some people that pay upfront is they see a credit on the bill, but all the charges are still there.

In our case it goes to the credit card and I then just pay it in full when we get home. The cost/expense/bill is the same.

Hi we just paid off our May cruise and chose to 'prepay' the DSC, all up it was $264 for 11 days. My question is how do the staff etc know we have prepaid it? Will they notice that its not being charged daily?

Thanks

I have my PCC send me a Amenity Confirmation which shows On-Board Credits, World Points, PSC (Prepaid Service Charge) etc. I bring this paperwork with me to avoid problems.

Enjoy

Hi thanks for all the replies. The main reason we chose to do this was because of the US/Aussie dollar exchange rate. Plus we want to pay as much stuff off as possible before our trip, we are spending around $25000 for a 6 week trip and the cruise is only a part of that. We also have purchased our return flight from Paris as well as our flights to the USA.

I understand you can just wait to pay it, but we want to get as much stuff paid for so we know how much spending money we have!@

Archived