Sitka excursions

GORDONCHICK

In 1994 I did the Sea Otter Quest through the ship, and it is one of my all-time favorite excursions. Next time there (1999? 2000?) we just did the HoHo bus around and spent time at the state park. This year we did the Sea Otter Quest again through the ship, as I wanted a large-ish boat and help from shorex staff with my disabled friend. Again, the shore excursion was wonderful. Sea otters, gray whales, so many humpbacks it was unnerving, and some absolutely FABULOUS scenery.

So I recommend something like the Sea Otter quest. I'm certain Budget Queen and a few others have the names of independent operators. I don't -- used the ship excursion both times.

This past June, we went on a sealife excursion with Captain Davy (google Puffins and Whales). It was amazing! We saw our first ever blue whale, lots of eagles, some sea otters, and a couple of humpbacks. He's such an interesting guy - a teacher, I believe - and so darn nice! His wife and daughters dropped off homemade chocolate chip cookies for us before we set sail - and they were to die for! Water was rough so he offered us the option of trying to get out to St. Lazzaria (sp?) Island to see the huge puffin population or just hunting for whales, etc. We opted for the whales. Small, six person boat with comfy inside/outside area for viewing. It was an excellent excursion!

BTW - Sitka is one of the best ports to get that real Alaskan feel. We'd been there twice before - once did the 4X4 excursion thru the cruiseline (great fun!), and once did the kayak rental thru the cruiseline (also a ton of fun!). If you don't mind a walk, go out to the totem park following the path along the waterfront - its lovely, so peaceful and serene! Also check out the Raptor Center - seeing those huge birds of prey up close and personal is amazing!

Sitka is rich in Russian history - great little shops throughout the very walkable town, see the native dancers, visit the (free w/small donation requested) aquarium along the path to the totem park, have a reindeer hotdog from the little food cart on the corner - delicious! You're going to love Sitka - plenty to see and do for very little money if you choose. Enjoy!

I highly recommend an independent boat tour, as it is loaded with varied wildlife, which people enjoy. Wildlife is NOT as easily seen elsewhere in the numbers.

The Park Service has the Sitka Heritage Park and a nice mile loop trail past several totems. A guide book is available. The Raptor center offers close up eagle viewing, and this organization is worthy of their admission.

Get further details from Alaska travel guides and http://www.sitka.org

Harbor & Islands Guided Paddle with kayak Sitka was amazing. Its 2.5 hours and kayaing through the Sitka Islands and near the cruise ship where we saw bald eagles was exhilirating. Spend remaining time wandering around Sitka including Sitka Heritage Park and the historic Russian archtecture. I hear the Raptor Center was nice but never got there. Sitka is a gem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archived