Walking around Belize City

JoeKewlCruisn

Good morning all,

My dad and I will be sailing to Belize on the Carnival Valor next May and are looking to keep things on the cheap by not booking too many (if any at all) shore excursions. Now I know the common thought here is that Belize is not the safest place with pushy vendors and everybody trying to get your attention, etc. Although I have been to Belize once I did not get off the ship so while I have been there I havent actually been on the land itself so I cant say. What I am trying to find out is if it is safe for two fairly large guys to be walking around the outskirts of Belize City by ourselves? If anybody could help me out with some advice it would be much appreciated. Thanks and Happy Holidays!

And a VERY Happy Holidays to you too joe!! :) Let me start off by saying I've been to Belize twice. First time, stayed on the ship and second planned to visit their Flea Market shops at the pier. The second time, we were put off by the fact that while walking around the market place, locals were allowed to hang over the walls, some with signs, trying to get you to come outside for a "Carriage Ride". My first thought was, OK, if it's OK to go outside, why are the walls so high? My second was why are there walls to BEGIN with?? We stayed in the market place for about an hour before venturing back to the ship. As we passed the check-in area at the top of the gangway, there were a group of 3 passengers talking to security and other Carnival personnel and I had over heard them saying they were robbed at gunpoint on one of those carriage rides and lost EVERYTHING! The only way they were allowed to re-board was because they had their S&S cards on lanyards around their necks. The point I am trying to make is when it comes to a DUMP like Belize City, you have 2 options, stay within the confines of the market place or do a supervised excursion. I would NOT recommend just deciding to check out the local scenery (not that there's much to see anyway). Remember, 2 "Large" guy's or not, you would probably be outnumbered and when it comes to a gun or a knife, size does NOT matter!! THINK SAFETY!!! Next time, If my cruise stops in Belize, I'm just gonna stay onboard again (that would be a 3rd option). :cool:

I think That to be a bit extreme... I found Belize on a cruise and have lived here for two and a half years now.

Once you get passed the vendors tryin to sell you. A firm no thank you should do, You will be fine. Although there is not much to see in the City...

I go shopping in the city about twice a month. I go into the heart of the city, by the bus station. I take taxis where I need to go. I do shop at a store just outside of the cruise terminal as well. I do get my share of offers for tours also.

I would look into the Cayes for a real look at Belize.

You will be fine in the City if that is what you choose to do.

Belize City isn't the safest city in the world, but chances are that you can take a walk around the city staying on the main roads and be fine. Honestly, most people will not feel safe doing so more because it is so far out of their comfort zone rather than any real danger. Will you be comfortable walking around a poor, third world country with a mostly black population? Lots of people do it and many find it interesting. However, most people will not be comfortable with that idea. You might have a better time by taking a $20 round trip water taxi to Caye Caulker and enjoy walking around there.

timh111-I completely understand what you are saying and hope I didnt come off as cocky because that was not my intention. I completely understand that if we were to be out numbered or be on the wrong end of a weapon then yes we have a problem lol. I guess what I was driving more to was being a deterrant to your average thug walking the streets, not necessarialy a gang/weapons or anything. Be that as it may, I thank you for your input and will definietly keep it in mind.

wadethegringo-Thanks for your 2 cents. From a local's view, if we were to venture into the city, is there anywhere or anything specific that would be a must see/do? Any specific streets in the area to see/avoid?

2112-Thanks for helping me out and I completely understand your point about being comfortable.

I would be perfectly content with the extended tender ride/cruise area and then back to the ship but it is my pops that expressed a specific interest in the city itself. I am trying to make this vacation all about him so I am trying to do anything/everything he wants but of course within the means of our safety. I was looking at the Carnival excursion that is the City Tour + Mayan Temple Complex visit (or something like that) which could satisfy he Belize tooth but hurt the budget so I really dont know.

Thanks again all and feel free to keep the suggestions flowing if you have any!

We just came back from our second cruise that included Belize City. We were bussed straight from the port, but thought the inner city area which we saw coming back looked pretty interesting actually. Very gritty of course, poor, but I was struck by the resourcefulness that folks have in places like this. I can't comment on safety because I was (safely) on a bus, but I think I would try it, as long as I wasn't carrying anything valuable other than a few bucks, and didn't stray too far. But I would research this more widely first.

Good morning all,

My dad and I will be sailing to Belize on the Carnival Valor next May and are looking to keep things on the cheap by not booking too many (if any at all) shore excursions. Now I know the common thought here is that Belize is not the safest place with pushy vendors and everybody trying to get your attention, etc. Although I have been to Belize once I did not get off the ship so while I have been there I havent actually been on the land itself so I cant say. What I am trying to find out is if it is safe for two fairly large guys to be walking around the outskirts of Belize City by ourselves? If anybody could help me out with some advice it would be much appreciated. Thanks and Happy Holidays!

JKC...if my tiny SIL and I can wander around Belize City unmolested by vendors and muggers, 2 big guys can do so too. BC is a working city so it isn't high on tourity thhings to see, but here's a quick guide...

First, eithe rsearch the internet or go to a goo travel book store and get a recent map of Belize City. The Tourism Village is on Fort Street.

Go out the gate of the TV and hang left, stay on the sidewalk next to the TV. In that first block you may be accosted by vendors trying to get you to take their excursion. Jus tsay NO Thanks and keep walking to Front Street, hanging left. In about 3-4 blocks you'll come to Quenn/Albert Street and to your left will be the "Swing" bridge. Go over the swing bridge and then down Regents, which has several shops including Brodies Hardware/General Store, kinda interesting to walk through, used to be where you could buy Marie Sharp's hot sauce, but you can get it in the TV now so no need to lug it around with you. Continue on down to the St John's Church, at east walk around and see the building if you can't get inside. Then cross the street to the Cultural Center. This used to be the Governor's Mansion and you can see it from the tender on the way in. A really nice overview of the British colonial history. Once done, head right out of th ecultural center and walk back to the swing bridge, og over the swing bridge and down Queen Street til it Ts into a small lane, turn left to Huston Street, the Americna Consulate will be on your left, and take Huston to Marine Parade, right along the malecon past the park and the lighthouse and back to the TV. The flea market alluded to in one of the posts is on Cork Street and Park. You can get to it by taking So Park from the Marine Parade or going up Cork Street from Marine Parade. Going along Marine parade and by the lighthouse to the TV will avoid running into the vendors. Once inside the TV head for the Wet lizard, for some Belikins and cronch fritters. That tour is about 5-6 kilometers long, and unless it's morbidly hot, should be an easy stroll for a couple of hours. There used to be a couple of places along the way to stop for refreshment, but outside of buying fresh fruit from one of the stands, I can't recommend any place. The Smokey Mermaid, near the lighthouse, is okay for lunch but more expensive than Wet Lizard.

Enjoy your stay in Belize.

JKC...if my tiny SIL and I can wander around Belize City unmolested by vendors and muggers, 2 big guys can do so too. BC is a working city so it isn't high on tourity thhings to see, but here's a quick guide...

First, eithe rsearch the internet or go to a goo travel book store and get a recent map of Belize City. The Tourism Village is on Fort Street.

Go out the gate of the TV and hang left, stay on the sidewalk next to the TV. In that first block you may be accosted by vendors trying to get you to take their excursion. Jus tsay NO Thanks and keep walking to Front Street, hanging left. In about 3-4 blocks you'll come to Quenn/Albert Street and to your left will be the "Swing" bridge. Go over the swing bridge and then down Regents, which has several shops including Brodies Hardware/General Store, kinda interesting to walk through, used to be where you could buy Marie Sharp's hot sauce, but you can get it in the TV now so no need to lug it around with you. Continue on down to the St John's Church, at east walk around and see the building if you can't get inside. Then cross the street to the Cultural Center. This used to be the Governor's Mansion and you can see it from the tender on the way in. A really nice overview of the British colonial history. Once done, head right out of th ecultural center and walk back to the swing bridge, og over the swing bridge and down Queen Street til it Ts into a small lane, turn left to Huston Street, the Americna Consulate will be on your left, and take Huston to Marine Parade, right along the malecon past the park and the lighthouse and back to the TV. The flea market alluded to in one of the posts is on Cork Street and Park. You can get to it by taking So Park from the Marine Parade or going up Cork Street from Marine Parade. Going along Marine parade and by the lighthouse to the TV will avoid running into the vendors. Once inside the TV head for the Wet lizard, for some Belikins and cronch fritters. That tour is about 5-6 kilometers long, and unless it's morbidly hot, should be an easy stroll for a couple of hours. There used to be a couple of places along the way to stop for refreshment, but outside of buying fresh fruit from one of the stands, I can't recommend any place. The Smokey Mermaid, near the lighthouse, is okay for lunch but more expensive than Wet Lizard.

Enjoy your stay in Belize.

Thanks for the tip! Regardless of what we do, I am going to print this out and bring it along. Thanks again and Happy New Year!

Archived