Dress code on Insignia- January South America

truffle2010

I read the dress code is "country club casual." Is that just on board? When we're on excursions in South America in January it will be very hot. Can we wear shorts and short sleeve tops and sandals? Or will we stick out too much? On board, will nice slacks and a nice short sleeve shirt work? Should I even bring long sleeve tops? Will it get chilly on board?

We're age 45 and 50 and new to cruising (obviously...) Thanks!

The dress code is also just for the evening on the ship. During the day, shorts. tee shirts, sandals, jeans, etc. are fine, even on the ship.

You don't mention where you will be going in South America, but if you are on the cruise that goes around Cape Horn, you will be very chilly when you're in Chile (pun intended) and the rest of the far south regions, But, anywhere from Beunos Aires and north should be hot. Having said that, I wore long sleeves at the Equator because I was warned against bugs, but we never saw a bug on our entire Amazon cruise. I also pack long sleeve dress shirts for evening, just because I like them. Short sleeves are fine. You will see both.

Regent calls the same dress code "elegant casual". Think of it as going to a casual party where you are trying to impress your boss or new clients. It's casual, but you make a real effort to look nice. Think about it that way and worry less about the technical terms.

Very true about the weather. We did Buenos Aires-Valpo in January 2002 and yes, it was hot in Buenos Aires and Santiago. But we needed jackets down at the bottom of the continent. So don't think just because it's summer time you'll always be wearing shorts ...

Depending upon your ports of call "Layer" and you will be fine. Got off the ship with jacket, scarf, hat, etc and by the time I ended up to our destination to see the Penguins, I had strip teased, very tastefully in shorts and a Tshirt. :)

Archived