First timer with DCL

rockinmlb

Hello all .. we just booked our "DREAM" cruise for December 2011.

Ive got some questions about the cruise .. any help and/or tips would be greatly appreciated!

*how much are the photos on board? Is it worth it to buy the picture package online?

* how much alcohol are you allowed on board? (Not that Im preparing to get sloshing drunk, but wine in the evenings on our balcony would be nice and maybe a mixed drink for hubby)

* how much extra do you actually spend on board? do you have a sail and sign like on 'another' cruise line?

I know these have been asked before but its hard to read all 10+ pages of that other thread. Makes me go cross eyed

Hello all .. we just booked our "DREAM" cruise for December 2011.

Ive got some questions about the cruise .. any help and/or tips would be greatly appreciated!

*how much are the photos on board? Is it worth it to buy the picture package online?

* how much alcohol are you allowed on board? (Not that Im preparing to get sloshing drunk, but wine in the evenings on our balcony would be nice and maybe a mixed drink for hubby)

* how much extra do you actually spend on board? do you have a sail and sign like on 'another' cruise line?

The photos are rather expensive; I really can't estimate how much, but they are expensive enough that we usually only buy 2 or 3 particularly good ones. We've never used the online package.

You can bring on as much alcohol as you can fit in your carry-on bag; DCL does not allow alcohol in checked bags. From their FAQs ~

Alcohol is permitted on board. However, be aware that any fragile items (including bottled alcohol) must be hand-carried on board in a day bag and/or carry-on bag, the dimensions of which cannot exceed 22" wide, 14" high and 9" deep. Guests who request a Wine Steward to open and serve a bottle of champagne, wine or liquor that has been brought onboard will be charged a corking fee of $18.00 per bottle.

Please be advised: Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to remove fragile items (including beverages) from luggage. In such cases, items will be stored and returned at the end of the voyage. Beverage containers are considered fragile and have previously caused damage in checked luggage. All fragile items must be transported inside carry-on luggage.

Extra expenses are really an individual thing; you can spend as much or as little as you wish. All purchases onboard and on Castaway Cay are 'charged' to your overall bill via your room keycard, usually referred to as your KTTW - Key To The World. Your final bill is delivered to your room the last night of the cruise.

Thank you so much for answering.

What are some of the extra's that we would spend money on? On our other cruise, we had to pay x amount for just about anything we did. For an inside cabin for 2 people we ended up paying $1600 for that cruise. It seems as if you get 'more bang for your buck' here on the Disney cruise.

Also, I am reading 2 different things on the passport issue. Am I correct, that as long as its a closed loop cruise, we DONT have to have passports? We didnt use them on our other cruise (that went to Mexico) and we didnt have a lick of trouble with that. I just want to be prepared and get them if we have to. Or will our Birth Cert work just fine?

Extras would be things like:

Wine/Beer Tastings

Specialty coffee

Beer/wine/alcoholic beverages

Palo (and/or Remy if on the Dream)

Spa services

Some snacks/sodas depending on where purchased (sodas are free in the dining room and at the drink station but there is a charge from a bar, room service, or at the movie theater)

Excursions

Pictures from Shutters

Jim

I am pretty sure a Passport is required for all cruises now.

Not yet. An ID and a certified birth certificate will still get you aboard but the Passport is always a better idea in the event that something goes wrong and you miss the ship or have to leave the ship.

More here at Independent Traveler, our sister board: http://www.independenttraveler.com/resources/article.cfm?AID=70&category=6

Archived