Cayman Motor Museum

JoeKewlCruisn

Good evening all,

My dad and I will be stopping at Grand Cayman in May on the Carnival Valor. We have been to Grand Cayman several times so in an effort to do something new we decided that we want to go to the Cayman Motor Museum on North West Point Road in the northwest end of the island. I had an idea of instead of taking a taxi up there that we could rent a couple bikes and pedal up there and back. What I am trying to find out is if West Bay Road that runs up past the 7 Mile Beach to the northwest end is safe to bicycle along. I tried looking at it on Bing maps satellite view and it looked to me like there was not a sidewalk. I am a former bicyclist so I understand how to ride in traffic and along the side of the road and I also understand that there are roads that you just plain avoid. Does anyone know if this is a road to avoid on a bike or if it is safe to bike up there and back? Also, is renting a bike near the cruise tender dock easy? I assume it would be...

Thanks for any help!

Renting a bicycle would be a difficult proposition in Cayman.

It would be around a 15 mile round trip from the port to the Motor Museum and back.

West Bay Road does not have bicycle lanes. There are sidewalks along part of the road but those are strictly for pedestrians.

Thanks for heads up everyone. I was not worried about the distance (I used to ride 50 miles at a time and legs are still a go) so much as the logistics of riding up that road. I will take your advice and we will take a taxi and then maybe rent a scooter (or two!) for zipping around Georgetown. Thanks again and Happy New Years to all!

I do not think you will do much zipping in GT ...last time we were there the cars were going so slow you could walk faster :D

Oh ya, wow. I dont remember it that way but has been a good few years since I have been there so I take your word on it. We could always just plain walk for a while if it's slow plus it is better on the budget!

From a small place about a mile walk from the pier. We took off on the bikes, and had to return right away as the one for my DH was awful. He got another one that barely worked, and we took off again. We did bike a bit on the road towards Hell, but it was difficult as bikes are not well respected there. We then returned to the shop when we had about an hour before boarding time, and the shop was closed with our Drivers' licenses in it! The shopkeeper next door said she had gone to her sister's for lunch as she did every day. The other guy called her sister and shortly we were taken care of, but would never do it again.

• 7 months later...

Has anyone been to the Cayman Motor Museum? Last time we were in Grand Cayman it was pouring and we had no place to go. Since we are going next week in the rainy season, trying to come up with a rainy day plan of something to do with the kids. Is this a worthwhile place to take them??

Archived