Pompei, Herniculanum, Naples Museum from Sorrento

swifs

We are cruising with Seabourn in April and will dock in Sorrento. We are thinking of taking the Circumvesuviana to visit Pompei and Herniculanum on our own (last time I went to Pompei the tours didn't spend as much time as I would have liked and stopped at a cameo-making factory which was annoying). I have always wanted to get to the museum in Naples and was wondering if we might be able to do all three in one day or if this is totally unrealistic.

It's certainly easy enough from a transportation strandpoint - one train line (Circumvesuviana) and the subway in Naples to and from the train station to the museum.

Time is the issue. The entrance to Pompeii Scavi is only steps from the train station, so that's easy enough. The site is enormous, however. To see all three would mean limiting your time at each place, which may lessen the experience.

Herculeneum is about one third of a mile (eight blocks) walk from the train station. You could, of course, grab a cab. I don't know how easy it is to get a cab back to the station.

I would say pick either Pompeii or Herculenum, if you want to get to Naples and the museum. Either that, or see both archelology sites and forego the museum.

Having done all 3, I'd suggest you pick either Pompeii or Herculaneum, plus the museum (and a little time in Naples for pizza or wandering). I think doing one site and the museum gives you more of a well-rounded picture than just doing two sites, because all of the best pieces from both sites (as well as many others) can be seen in the museum.

We did Naples on our own. We got to Pompeii fairly promptly having been lucky not to have to wait too long for a bus and not wait at all for a train. We started exploring at 9:15 and, with a 5 minute break, went until 1:15 and only saw 1/2 of what I wanted to see. We took the 1:37 train back (which was late), had a quick lunch of pizza sitting on the steps, took the Metro to the museum. We got there at 3:15, and this was without wasting time. I had only an hour at the museum and did not even scratch the surface. The first floor of Farnese sculptures is jaw dropping. I regretted having to leave. But it was already getting dark (it was November). We walked for 1 hr. back to the ship - 4:15 to 5:15. I wanted to walk for the challenge and because traffic is horrendous at that time. So my advice is to skip Herculaneum on this trip. You must plan another cruise that stops in Naples and do Herculaneum and the rest of the museum.

I had only an hour at the museum and did not even scratch the surface. The first floor of Farnese sculptures is jaw dropping. I regretted having to leave. But it was already getting dark (it was November). We walked for 1 hr. back to the ship - 4:15 to 5:15.

Wow - do you think you made a bee-line for the port, or did you sightsee and shop along the way? I ask because it's only a mile and a quarter from the museum to the port, most of that downhill, so an hour seems like a long time unless you're taking in the scenery (which is pretty interesting) along the way.

Wow - do you think you made a bee-line for the port, or did you sightsee and shop along the way? I ask because it's only a mile and a quarter from the museum to the port, most of that downhill, so an hour seems like a long time unless you're taking in the scenery (which is pretty interesting) along the way.

I didn't have a decent map with me - I think I went too far straight south. Anyway...it was too dark to sightsee. We did stop a couple of times for purchases. And I kept asking..."Scusa...Piazza Municipio?" probably about 10 times. That took time because the lovely Neapolitans had to show me with their hands where to go. Fun.

Archived