Can I display American Flag on our balcony

1937olds

I don't think a flag would be considered flammable. If so, so would a towel or a shirt, table cloth etc.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to as long as it didn't hang over the railing.

b

Yes they are flammable. Which is why they ask you on the PA not to leave any of those items unattended on your patio.

During the muster drill, they tell everyone not to keep anything on the balcony---clothes, towels, etc. Despite the no smoking rule, people are still smoking on balconies and throwing their butts overboard. I know because I was hit on the head by a lit butt on my Solstice cruise, and I woke up every morning to find at least 3 butts on my balcony. Any fabric is a fire hazard and imagine what would happen if a cigarette butt flew onto that flag. It would ignite in an instant. If you want to fly a flag, see if you can hang it inside your cabin from the balcony window.

I don't think a flag would be considered flammable. If so, so would a towel or a shirt, table cloth etc.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to as long as it didn't hang over the railing.

b

If flags aren't flammable, why have there been fights about flag burning and Constitutional amendments to allow flag burning? Flags are made of cloth, and cloth burns.

I have never heard that at a muster drill, ever. I couldn't get through a week if I couldn't dry undies out there, not to mention wet bathing suits and my husband's workout clothes. Of course we always secure everything by sticking them through the slats in the chairs.

I have never heard that at a muster drill, ever. I couldn't get through a week if I couldn't dry undies out there, not to mention wet bathing suits and my husband's workout clothes. Of course we always secure everything by sticking them through the slats in the chairs.

Then you haven't been paying attention. They've clearly stated this during every muster drill of every X cruise I have taken. And it makes good sense too.

Can't you just picture each balcony having the national flag of the occupant? The ship would certainly be colourful!

Better than what we saw in Barcelona one day on a B2B. Someone had hung their undies, lots of undies, on the balcony --- on the side of the ship facing the cruise terminal. As people were boarding they were treated to a display of all white "flags" waving in the breeze :)

Better than what we saw in Barcelona one day on a B2B. Someone had hung their undies, lots of undies, on the balcony --- on the side of the ship facing the cruise terminal. As people were boarding they were treated to a display of all white "flags" waving in the breeze :)

I hope those flags didn't have homemade stripes on them!!

I don't think this is a patriotic/not patriotic discussion, but more of a what is appropriate on a ship balcony question, so OP, the post asking you how you plan to 'display' the flag is important. But even with that, ships state very clearly (at least all the ships Ive been on which includes the Millie) not to leave items on the balcony: towels, clothing, books, etc. An argument can be made about fire hazards and so on, but mainly (please don't take offense, but....) the ship considers it inappropriate to use the balcony as a laundromat or storage area. It looks bad when seen from the pier or other ships, and items do come lose and fly around, especially if you have a balcony that faces forward. Standard balconies can get a lot of wind action and even ones facing aft.

Its kind of like hanging stuff from a hotel balcony - most hotels don't allow it and neither do ships. I've been to a number of foreign ports where hanging laundry from the apartment's balcony is done - looks very tacky.

And since clothing and such aren't to be hung from a balcony, neither will a flag, not matter how 'patriotic' it may appear to some. Why not display my college or sports team flag....a flag depicting my personal views on some subject....?

I guess you could 'display' the flag while you are on the balcony, but I suggest you show your patrotism in your actions such as treating others kindly, and speaking well of our hosts in the various ports and such.

Denny

Archived