Are you "pro" or "anti" blog

Sea King

Curious

are you in favor of or "against" blogs

when you post on CC or another message board, your observations, opinions or points of view are "subject" to comment from readers and other posters

but, when you "opt" for a blog, it's totally one sided and completely biased since the "host" controls what feed-back is made public

if you want to "really go after" a particular crew person (captains and hotel managers are among the most popular "targets"), for example, it's so easy to do

and the "best" (or worst part) is you get to be the director, producer, actor and critic

just wondering: any comments or thoughts on this subject

I don't pay much attention to blogs in general, but I this this forum/blog (whatever) is a valuable resource for those interested in cruising.

There is an incredible amount of knowledge held by the members here. Sharing it helps a lot of people.

IMO

I'm so glad you brought this question forward as I've found blogs to be utterly unfair and leaves targets of viciousness or outright lying with no way to defend themselves or present their side of the story.

On message board forums such as CC, anyone who abides by the rules can register and post their opinion and state their experience.

On a blog, it is a soapbox that goes unchallenged as the person who owns and operates it will never permit a varying opinion or opportunity for whoever or whatever they choose to attack to be 'outed' as being less than fully truthful.

This is something I've had on my mind for a while.

Sorry for the rant.

[What makes it pertinent to this forum IMO is there are several blogs out there that deal with HAL, HAL issues, people and some here know about some of them. Clearly I am not referring to informational, sharing, helpful and fun blogs. I refer specifically to a few which exist mostly for the purpose of negativity, it seems. If they attack some people, those people or those who know them and the situation have no way to respond as the 'blogster' blocks their message.)

I am not sure how one is "anti" blog ... does that mean you believe in censoring the Internet?

If one is "anti" blog ... then just don't read any!

Naturally a blog is going to be one-sided.

But you are free to start your own blog too - one-sided as well! ;)

There are so many blogs out there, some good, some not.

They exist for all kinds of reasons.

There are high-profile people who are the subject of blogs ... "I hate so-and-so" ... what are you going to do?

It's not surprising that there are blogs about cruising and HAL.

Didn't many of us follow Karen's blog on her wonderful cruise?

You can't limit the blogosphere to just the blogs you like, or just the positive ones. So my advice is to ignore the blogs you find offensive. Out of sight, out of mind.

As for me, I like to read some blogs and have bookmarked my favorites. A few of my friends have blogs, and I enjoy their writing.

What makes it pertinent to this forum IMO is there are several blogs out there that deal with HAL, HAL issues, people and some here know about some of them. Clearly I am not referring to informational, sharing, helpful and fun blogs. I refer specifically to a few which exist mostly for the purpose of negativity, it seems. If they attack some people, those people or those who know them and the situation have no way to respond as the 'blogster' blocks their message.)

The underlining is mine. I've recently come across one of those blogs - I was horrified to see what's been posted about specific people. I'll not be reading there again.

I prefer to read blogs. Many "live from" threads on CC are cluttered with well-wishers and "We did that" comments that make them hard to find and read the author's updates.

That said, I do not read "editorial" blogs that are written as if the author's opinion is the only one that counts and disses ship personnel by name. I do like to follow KweenKaren and others who stick to what they see and do.

I was horrified to see what's been posted about specific people.

that's what I was referring to

blogs can be informative

however, some have taken on what can only be called "a specific mission": to hold up to criticism and ridicule specific ship's officers knowing full well there's nothing that can be posted as a "retort" since the host controls what gets published

the blog then "just happens to make its way" to the ship's company, and in case of HAL, all the way to Seattle

it's that kind of use of the blog I was referring to

do you think that's right or simply put, it is fair

IMHO when the blog is aimed at specific officers on board a specific ship, that's 'cruise related" and is a topic that can be discussed on CC

blogs can be informative

however, some have taken on what can only be called "a specific mission": to hold up to criticism and ridicule specific ship's officers knowing full well there's nothing that can be posted as a "retort" since the host controls what gets published

the blog then "just happens to make its way" to the ship's company, and in case of HAL, all the way to Seattle

IMHO when the blog is aimed at specific officers on board a specific ship, that's 'cruise related" and is a topic that can be discussed on CC

I rather suspect that GMA pajama was referring to the blog that names CC posters and rips them apart. I have never seen the one that names officers.

I've enjoyed reading some blogs. Kween Karen's Tahiti blog is one that springs immediately to mind. Her blog exemplifies the best of blogging -- sharing information willingly, and accurately. That kind of blog gives the reader a chance to experience someone else's experiences, that the reader may never experience him/herself. I follow a couple of blogs about specific interests, and find them informative and helpful.

Then there are other blogs that are used for personal agendas, mockery, cruelty, retaliation and such -- whatever the blog owner and commenters want to say. IMHO those do not improve the world at all. Those kinds of blogs, though, do reveal the truth about the author and the people whose comments are permitted to be published. So in some way, the "hate blogs" perform a sort of public service -- permitting others to see the vileness, pettiness, and lack of character of the author(s). For example, there are hundreds of blogs dissing ebay sellers. In fairness, though, that kind of behaviour is NOT limited to blogs; there are many chat forums that indulge in similar pathetic behaviour.

So in summary :) I'm neither "pro" or "anti" blog. I am, however, in some instances, very "anti-blogger" :D

I rather suspect that GMA pajama was referring to the blog that names CC posters and rips them apart. I have never seen the one that names officers.

I have seen the one that names specific officers and it infuriates me the blogster can say whatever they wish full well knowing there is no way it can be balanced with 'the other side of the story'. To know they send it to Seattle only proves to me their sole purpose in writing what they do is viciousness. It all comes down to 'what do they want'? It's probably their unique version of 'give me something'. Is this the new method of begging compensation........ my very least favorite word !!

I can't imagine wasting a second of my life worrying about what some stranger says about me or about anyone on a blog, or on a forum for that matter. Who cares. I haven't seen any blog about HAL officers, but if so, I'm sure HAL and those written about get a good laugh at it. They are big boys and know it means absolutely nothing. Blogs are what they are and to get upset with anything said on them is taking the internet way too seriously.

As someone who writes a blog and posts here, it's disheartening to hear that there are blogs out there that single out either posters or specific officers/crew members on ships. I haven't personally come across anything like that as of yet.

At best, lampooning individuals on a blog is vicious and unwarrented. At its worst, its potentially libellous and many corporations do take close note about what is being said about them in public forums, blogs, etc.

Most dishearteningly, every blog that is set up as a rant-filled soapbox robs blogs that are credible and informative and paints them with the same tainted brush. And that's a shame.

I have seen the one that names specific officers and it infuriates me the blogster can say whatever they wish full well knowing there is no way it can be balanced with 'the other side of the story'. To know they send it to Seattle only proves to me their sole purpose in writing what they do is viciousness. It all comes down to 'what do they want'? It's probably their unique version of 'give me something'. Is this the new method of begging compensation........ my very least favorite word !!

I'm always surprised at that tactic. But many people do it. When I worked in retail, quite often someone would come in and scream bloody murder until a manager would come over and give in, regardless of the situation (this was over a $4 rental movie, by the way.)

The number of people looking for something for nothing is staggering...

Some blogs are so boring I read one or 2 posts and never go back. Some, like Kween Karen's keep me wanting more:)

So I am neither anti nor pro blog, just anti BAD blog and very PRO Good Blog:)

Edited to add: I, thankfully, have not run across the type of blogs that both GmaPajamas and CowPrincess speak about!!

Joanie

As a blogger myself, I guess I'm pro blogs! But there are blogs and there are "blahgs";). As for blogs that are hurtful, nasty, critical, etc., I just skip them. Bunch of people preaching to the choir, very one-sided and basically stupid. What does anyone care about some faceless group of people criticizing either a person or another group of people? They're just people hiding behind a keyboard too frightened to show themselves for who they really are in a realistic environment so they form their own little group ... or maybe they're just bitter about someone or something.

You can always fight back with a blog all your own where you can control the comments:). That's one great way to fight fire with fire.

blogs can be informative

There is no "fair" on the Internet.

People can post pretty much whatever they want out there.

You can't compare it to a message board, such as this one, which has rules and moderators.

Blogs are really a free-for-all.

There are tons of "I hate xxx" blogs aimed at various politicians and some vile stuff gets posted. Does it harm the victims? Not really ... well, maybe their egos, if they were to read the posts!

I have to think a blog aimed at HAL officers has to have a very small following. How many people even know the officers? I'm a 3-star Mariner, I've taken a dozen cruises, and I can't name a single officer! :) I don't think a high percentage of cruisers really interact with officers at all. They're there for the ride ... not to get to know the driver!

I also have to think the people in Seattle are wise enough to know that any blog, along with anonymous postings (as most hateful things on the Internet tend to be anonymous!), means nothing.

HAL is not about to measure its officers according to a handful of negative comments or the rantings of an angry blogger. That's silly. Give Seattle some credit.

I am sure that if the officers maligned on this blog are aware of its existence, they're probably shrugging their shoulders and shaking their heads. They know they can't control the Internet, they can't control what others say about them, and it's better to ignore the negative stuff.

Breathe in, breathe out, move on.

Check your email.

But then aren't you giving the bloggers exactly what they want - more of an audience?

If no one is directed to the blog, then its effect is minimal, no?

I once saw a funny T-shirt: More people have read this T-shirt than your blog.

I have also never run across those negative blogs. I assume people post a link in their signature if they write a blog?

Probably not!!! LOL ... not the type of blog that people are referring to here anyway.

Like Oceanwench, I'm a little surprised to read there's a blog somewhere criticizing HAL officers. I also think that sort of blog would have a very small following since kthe majority of cruisers are really not invested in the officers and wouldn't know one from another.

While I've only been on 6 HAL cruises in the last 7 years or so, I never remember a single officer anymore than I remember the manager of a resort I might stay for a few weeks. They are staff and unless the ship sinks, they're okay in my book:)

Archived