Falmouth businesses not prepared for first cruise ship.

bajathree

If it is too rough to tender at Grand Cayman then our cruise will be a bust. Royal Caribbean says they can provide a good experience even with the port unfinished. Sure, as long as you purchase an overpriced excursion from the cruise line that will whisk you back to MoBay or to Ocho Rios.

If it is too rough to tender at Grand Cayman then our cruise will be a bust. Royal Caribbean says they can provide a good experience even with the port unfinished. Sure, as long as you purchase an overpriced excursion from the cruise line that will whisk you back to MoBay or to Ocho Rios.

SO true, Deb! :mad:

Another article released today....http://www.gadling.com/2010/12/31/new-jamaica-cruise-port-to-open-finally-sort-of/

This article is just a re-hash of all the others. Except, there was a line in it I found humorous - It refers to Navigator of the Seas as a "smaller ship". Who would have ever thought..........

Taxi's run the routes between Falmouth and Ochi and Falmouth and Mobay as a main way people go to work and get around etc (using the highway). For this reason you will have no issues in getting a taxi throughout the day and night.

There are also several all inclusive resorts around Falmouth, which offer day passes to access their properties; which cater to both individuals and families.

odettemcf,

Can you give us names of all-inclusive resorts around Falmouth that offer day passes and their distances from the port by taxi? I am thinking that may be the way to go for us!

This article is just a re-hash of all the others. Except, there was a line in it I found humorous - It refers to Navigator of the Seas as a "smaller ship". Who would have ever thought..........

Maybe they decided to send Navigator as a test so to aggrevate only 3200 people instead of 5600.

The only all inclusive near the port of Falmouth is Breezes. It is not an all adult property so there will be kids there. FDR Pebbles is gone - Now an adults only nude resort. The other hotels listed on these links are in Mo Bay 30 min away or Negril 90 minutes from Falmouth. Not much choice unless you pay high taxi fares back to MoBay or take a ship's excursion. Breezes ain't so hot these days - read the Trip Advisor reviews.

@link99 Taxi's run the routes between Falmouth and Ochi and Falmouth and Mobay as a main way people go to work and get around etc (using the highway). For this reason you will have no issues in getting a taxi throughout the day and night.

There are also several all inclusive resorts around Falmouth, which offer day passes to access their properties; which cater to both individuals and families.

I havent been to Mystic Mountain, but I hear only good things about it... I really want to go, but just havent made it there yet... Hope you have fun!

Any reviews on these resorts?

I am disabled and will be using a mobility scooter. I am in the process of reserving a private tour guide that has a wheelchair van. There are two in Jamaica that both say they are going to be offering tours from Falmouth. My husband and daughter want to zipline, but they want to do the zipline in Montpelier Jungle Outpost outside of Mobay. I want to go to the bird sanctuary and hand feed the humming birds.

This is what one tour guide suggests: "I check out the bird feeding place, the road is very bumpy but i will take my time with you. The cost for it is $15.00, per person the cost for the zip line is $89.00, per person. I will take your family to the zip line first because it last for 2hrs, then i will take you to the bird feeding which last for about 45mns, after pickingup your family we head to the pork pit for lunch and a tour of Montego Bay, then we do some shopping and go to the Rose Hall Great House, after the Great we head back to Falmouth the duration of everything last for about 6hrs. The cost of that day trip will be $300.00, however if the ship happen to dock in Montego Bay the cost will be $250.00, and that will be for all three of you. Let me know if you need anymore info,i will be happy to pass it on"

So, I think the cost to have a private tour guide for the day is $300 plus the cost of activities and tips. We are looking for others to join us to help pay the cost of the van and guide. Anyone interested? Will be on Voyager OTS, sailing Jan 30th - Falmouth Feb 3rd.

This is what one tour guide suggests: "I check out the bird feeding place, the road is very bumpy but i will take my time with you. The cost for it is $15.00, per person the cost for the zip line is $89.00, per person. I will take your family to the zip line first because it last for 2hrs, then i will take you to the bird feeding which last for about 45mns, after pickingup your family we head to the pork pit for lunch and a tour of Montego Bay, then we do some shopping and go to the Rose Hall Great House, after the Great we head back to Falmouth the duration of everything last for about 6hrs. The cost of that day trip will be $300.00, however if the ship happen to dock in Montego Bay the cost will be $250.00, and that will be for all three of you. Let me know if you need anymore info,i will be happy to pass it on"

So, I think the cost to have a private tour guide for the day is $300 plus the cost of activities and tips. We are looking for others to join us to help pay the cost of the van and guide. Anyone interested? Will be on Voyager OTS, sailing Jan 30th - Falmouth Feb 3rd.

You may have better luck finding others if you post this on the "roll call" section of cruise critic. People there will be on your specific sailing. Have fun in Jamaica.

Been there, done that. I think everyone is in "wait and see" mode, or just planning on staying on the ship. Thanks.

That pretty much is what we are doing. We are scheduled to be in Falmouth on Jan. 12 on the Freedom and don't have anything planned on this day. I suppose I could use the time to bring out the camera and try to video the area.

That pretty much is what we are doing. We are scheduled to be in Falmouth on Jan. 12 on the Freedom and don't have anything planned on this day. I suppose I could use the time to bring out the camera and try to video the area.

Will apprecitate any pics or video - am disabled and have anxiety venturing into unknown territory. Thanks!!!:)

odettemcf,

Can you give us names of all-inclusive resorts around Falmouth that offer day passes and their distances from the port by taxi? I am thinking that may be the way to go for us!

Hey! The ones I would recommend are:

Starfish (now re branded to Breezes)... this is a great family orientated resort... located right outside the town.

Grand Lido Braco (also rebranded to Breezes Rio Bueno).. .This is an adult only resort...(one of my favourite) as it has a more Jamaican feel about it... with all the quality amenites you'd expect...and great food!... located about 20-30mins away

Iberostar.. there are 3 resorts on one property.. very highend (Grande), adults (Suites) and family (beach) resorts... I love this resort too.. it is Spanish owned, beatiful property with a very lond stretch of beach.... located about 20mins from Falmouth.

Rose Hall Resort & Spa - A Hilton Resort.. beautiful grounds another great resort, best balance of adults and kids IMHO and they have a really good set up for day pass guests... showers, lockers etc... located a few mins further along the road than Iberostar.

I would advise that you call the resorts directly for day pass prices. I had seen on another thread on CC that the cruise packaged price for these types of resorts, were way more than what a taxi and paying direct would cost!

You can also find reviews/info of these resorts on something like TripAdvisor/Expedia

Hope this helps!

I never really understood why people get off of a multi-million dollar cruise ship to go visit a resort? Isn't the ship a floating resort? If people just want to visit a resort would it not make more sense to just go stay at one or just stay on the ship?:confused:

If I am going to be in a foreign country, even if I don't think much of the Port of Falmouth, I would certainly do my best to take in a bit of the country and culture.

I never really understood why people get off of a multi-million dollar cruise ship to go visit a resort? Isn't the ship a floating resort? If people just want to visit a resort would it not make more sense to just go stay at one or just stay on the ship?:confused:

If I am going to be in a foreign country, even if I don't think much of the Port of Falmouth, I would certainly do my best to take in a bit of the country and culture.

Depends on if they've been to that port stop before. I know lots of people who have been to Jamaica dozens of times during a cruise and would rather enjoy the day at an all-inclusive. Or, they can have a port-intensive cruise and opt to have a lazy day at an AI. We did something like this in St. Lucia- we toured the island during one cruise, and planned to visit Sandals the second time we were there. We had considered the Sandals for our honeymoon a few years back and went to Bermuda instead. So, we felt like that would be the perfect time to spend the day there by ourselves (we had sailed with a group, so this was our day alone). It happened to rain that day so sadly we didn't have a chance to go. Just an example.

Hey! The ones I would recommend are:

Starfish (now re branded to Breezes)... this is a great family orientated resort... located right outside the town.

Grand Lido Braco (also rebranded to Breezes Rio Bueno).. .This is an adult only resort...(one of my favourite) as it has a more Jamaican feel about it... with all the quality amenites you'd expect...and great food!... located about 20-30mins away

Iberostar.. there are 3 resorts on one property.. very highend (Grande), adults (Suites) and family (beach) resorts... I love this resort too.. it is Spanish owned, beatiful property with a very lond stretch of beach.... located about 20mins from Falmouth.

Rose Hall Resort & Spa - A Hilton Resort.. beautiful grounds another great resort, best balance of adults and kids IMHO and they have a really good set up for day pass guests... showers, lockers etc... located a few mins further along the road than Iberostar.

I would advise that you call the resorts directly for day pass prices. I had seen on another thread on CC that the cruise packaged price for these types of resorts, were way more than what a taxi and paying direct would cost!

You can also find reviews/info of these resorts on something like TripAdvisor/Expedia

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much! I'm interested in the Breezes that is right out of town mostly because of its location. I'm assuming that it's a short taxi ride from the pier? It doesn't get great reviews on TripAdvisor, but when I skimmed the negative comments it seemed like most of them were about room issues (lack of hot water and things like that.) If they have a good beach and reasonable rates, they would be a good fit for us. Has anyone been there?

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I've always enjoyed visiting Jamaica on cruises. Its a fun and laid-back place where you can relax. You do have to be cautious of your safety but no less than anywhere else.

Having said this, I'm not looking forward to our stop at Falmouth. When I originally booked the trip, it sounded as if Falmouth was going to have historic sites or something to visit nearby. I'll be travelling with my 5 year old son in May on the Allure and he's not old enough or tall enough to do any of the active tours (i.e. atvs,zip lines, rafting, the falls, etc); and I can't imagine him sitting through a minimum 1-hour bus ride, each way, just to go shopping in the neighboring town. So for right now my plans are to spend the day on-board the ship.

Mind you, I don't mind being a guinea pig with new ports of call but I at least want something to see/do while I'm there. Heck I was in Costa Maya in 2003 right after it opened and even I have to admit it was a ___hole back then:o. There was nothing there but the port shop/pool and Mahajual - the seaside beach area within walking distance that, at the time, lacked indoor plumbing (don't ask how I figured that one out). Hubby and I chanced the short walk to Mahajual and had a great time on the beach drinking beer and eating with the ship staff and the locals. But the point is there was at least something to do in relatively safe environment within a short distance from the ship.

Maybe we'll get lucky and Oasis Class ships to Falmouth will be delayed, yet again, until after my scheduled trip on Allure in May.

Thanks so much! I'm interested in the Breezes that is right out of town mostly because of its location. I'm assuming that it's a short taxi ride from the pier? It doesn't get great reviews on TripAdvisor, but when I skimmed the negative comments it seemed like most of them were about room issues (lack of hot water and things like that.) If they have a good beach and reasonable rates, they would be a good fit for us. Has anyone been there?

Haven't been to Breezes Trelawny but we're thinking about doing the day pass when we're in Falmouth on the 20th of January on Voyager. Like you, I read the reviews on TripAdvisor and most of the negative ones were pertaining to room issues, etc. which would not affect us. The day pass is $60 each for adults (10:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.) ..not sure what they charge for children. You don't need to book ahead which is a plus!!

We're still debating whether to go to Breezes or take a ship excursion (which we don't normally do) :confused:

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I've always enjoyed visiting Jamaica on cruises. Its a fun and laid-back place where you can relax. You do have to be cautious of your safety but no less than anywhere else.

Having said this, I'm not looking forward to our stop at Falmouth. When I originally booked the trip, it sounded as if Falmouth was going to have historic sites or something to visit nearby. I'll be travelling with my 5 year old son in May on the Allure and he's not old enough or tall enough to do any of the active tours (i.e. atvs,zip lines, rafting, the falls, etc); and I can't imagine him sitting through a minimum 1-hour bus ride, each way, just to go shopping in the neighboring town. So for right now my plans are to spend the day on-board the ship.

Mind you, I don't mind being a guinea pig with new ports of call but I at least want something to see/do while I'm there. Heck I was in Costa Maya in 2003 right after it opened and even I have to admit it was a ___hole back then:o. There was nothing there but the port shop/pool and Mahajual - the seaside beach area within walking distance that, at the time, lacked indoor plumbing (don't ask how I figured that one out). Hubby and I chanced the short walk to Mahajual and had a great time on the beach drinking beer and eating with the ship staff and the locals. But the point is there was at least something to do in relatively safe environment within a short distance from the ship.

Maybe we'll get lucky and Oasis Class ships to Falmouth will be delayed, yet again, until after my scheduled trip on Allure in May.

I found this last night- this port may just surprise us. http://blueholejamaica.ning.com/

I guess I am in the minority too. Does everyone want an overdeveloped area that looks the same as other ports. Oh My God, what will we do if Diamonds International and Del Sol are not there!:D

Here is a good article with a lot more detail about the port development status.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/New-Falmouth-cruise-ship-pier-not-ready_8262380

Haven't been to Breezes Trelawny but we're thinking about doing the day pass when we're in Falmouth on the 20th of January on Voyager. Like you, I read the reviews on TripAdvisor and most of the negative ones were pertaining to room issues, etc. which would not affect us. The day pass is $60 each for adults (10:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.) ..not sure what they charge for children. You don't need to book ahead which is a plus!!

We're still debating whether to go to Breezes or take a ship excursion (which we don't normally do) :confused:

Good luck deciding! It's hard when there's not a lot of info. for Falmouth yet! It's nice that you don't have to book Breezes ahead; then you can play things by ear if you want to.

Whatever you decide, please report when you get back. We don't go until April, so I'll be looking forward to hearing about your experience.

Archived