April 2006 Regal cruise ??

MI-DI

This cruise will make several stops in Brazil. We disembark in Brazil to fly home. Question...Will we need a visa ????? Called Princess..no help...told me to check with Brazilian consulate....Thanks for your help !!!

Brazil in the past has been very fussy about requiring visas.

On a trans-Atlantic, Mar 98, Buenos Aires to Bacelona, with a couple of stops in Brazil, one group of passengers (I believe it was a party of 4) were denied boarding in Buenos Aires as they did not have Brazilian visas, and Princess refused to give them passage, stating that Brazil would fine the ship and captain if they were aboard, even though they would be "in transit".

To say that they were unhappy would be understatement, but pre-boarding documents did state the necessity of Brazilian visas.

We obtained our Brazilian visas at the Brazilian Consulate, in San Francisco, repeating the process from our Amazon trip in 1991, also on Princess.

MiDi, are you talking about the FLL to Manaus April 7th, 06 cruise on the Regal? We just booked that cruise, well really booked back to back cruises returning to FLL..I am so excited. I read on the South American ports of call board that visas are required for Brazil...they were also required for Australia on our last cruise and Princess obtained them for us...I am going to do a little more investigating about this and will post what I find out. I started a Roll Call for this cruise, but so far I am just talking to myself...Sissy

I did some checking and it looks like visas are necessary for entry to Brazil.. I just entered "obtaining Brazilian Visa" into search engine and there was tons of info. I finally found the site for the Brazilian Consulate in Houston, that is the one that would issue one for Oklahoma where we live. www.brazilhouston.org

The charge is a $100.00 reciprocity fee, seems that is what the U.S. charges Brazilians to enter our country, and a $10.00 process or handling fee....they also have a form you fill out and certain mailing requirements. The scary part is that you have to send your passport to them.:eek: You must enter Brazil within 90 days from the date of issue of the Visa or it is not valid. I still want to check with other posters that have done this and with Princess to verify this information. Sissy

Yes... you will definitely need a visa for Brazil as well as a yellow fever innoculation certificate. This has nothing to do with Princess but with Brazil, which is very, very particular about anyone entering the country, even tourists.

Not only that, but the visa is pretty expensive at $100/pp. You can go to the Brazilian Consulate to get the visa but that means two trips: one to drop off your documents and a second trip to pick up your passport with the visa. It is a royal PITA, taking an hour or two each time, waiting in line. Princess suggests a visa service which charges an additional $50/pp to process the visa. They will provide the information in your precruise documents.

You can't get the visa too far in advance because you must use it within 90 days. You must also provide your transportation (including flight numbers) and list the places you'll be staying.

We're on the Manaus to Rome cruise on the Royal in April and I weighed the cost of going into Boston twice and the time and aggravation and just went with the visa service.

Yes a visa is required. Were sailing on the Royal Florida to Manaus. We have just sent in paperwork to a visa service. Cost $316.00 for 2. Dont forget yellow fever shots, card is required.

Thanks to all for the info. Think I will try and cancel this cruise !!Looks like xtra cost would be in the $600 range. Made 1 call about yellow fever shot ..130.00 dollars each. Would be nice if TA or Princess would give you a hint but I guess they wait till they have your money and then tell you.....MI-DI

It's up to your TA to give you the information since they know you'll be traveling to Brazil. The Brazilian visa is common knowledge and has been for many years. Princess does give you the information in the pre-cruise docs but assumes that the TA is doing their job.

MI-DI,

Don't give up yet! I agree, Princess should have been able to give you an answer when you called and asked them a specific question. I do not think you will be required to get the yellow fever shot if you are sailing Santiago to Buenos Aires. I believe it is only required if you are going to ports in the north of South America. (Manaus - Amazon)

Get the visa for Brazil yourself, (by mail) instead of using a service, then it would be $100 per person, plus another $10 processing fee. I think this itinerary will be worth it! :) We will be going next January and the more I read about the ports - and the scenic days cruising - the more excited I get about going.

Julie

Archived