Beach Day

NANCYR2

Kauai is season-dependent. the north shore beaches (Haena, Hanalei Bay, Tunnels) are wonderful wonderful - in the summer. But in the winter they can be very rough, and the Marriott beach or Poipu is a better choice in winter.

Maui? If you want a combination of shopping, strolling, snorkeling, and a great beach you can't beat Kaanapali. For sheer "beach" days, I prefer Napili, Polo, Kapalua, Or Pu'ulenalena (among many others!), but Kaanapali has so much to offer that it's a great 'one beach only' beach.

While we do love some relaxing time on the beach we aren't ones to spend the whole day there. In most cases we will spend a couple of hours, and if we can snorkel - so much the better!

In Maui we plan to spend a couple of hours snorkeling at Black Rock, if conditions permit in the afternoon. If I am correct that is also at Kaanapali as mentioned by sceptic?

In Kauai we plan to spend them morning until about 1 PM at the Marriot by the ship just because it is convenient. I hear it is very nice, too. We have a tour planned at 2:30 so we don't want to go too far away - and by that time we figure we will be exhausted and will appreciate a few hours of pure relaxation.:cool:

Yes, Black Rock is next to the Sheraton, which is at the north end of the Kaanapali development that has the beach walk, which extends all the way to the Hyatt at the south end. Beaches and condos extend to the north as well, but what most people consider the Kaanapali area is from Hyatt to Sheraton. It's quite easy to spend a day -- or a week, for that matter -- at Kaanapali.

There's a lot to see in West Maui. Like you, my 'beach day' is typically 3-4 hours, whereupon I look for other interests. The area from Honokawai to Kapalua is interesting (to me, at least), there's Lahaina to the south a few miles, or Ma'alaea as well. Plenty to occupy you.

Yes, Black Rock is next to the Sheraton, which is at the north end of the Kaanapali development that has the beach walk, which extends all the way to the Hyatt at the south end. Beaches and condos extend to the north as well, but what most people consider the Kaanapali area is from Hyatt to Sheraton. It's quite easy to spend a day -- or a week, for that matter -- at Kaanapali.

There's a lot to see in West Maui. Like you, my 'beach day' is typically 3-4 hours, whereupon I look for other interests. The area from Honokawai to Kapalua is interesting (to me, at least), there's Lahaina to the south a few miles, or Ma'alaea as well. Plenty to occupy you.

On Day 1 in Maui we plan to leave the ship, pick up our rental and go to Iao Valley State Park, then on to Lahaina. We would go to Black Rock and check that out, then back to spend the rest of the day at Lahaina. If the surf is too high for snorkeling we will probably just explore the Lahaina area before we meet my cousin and his wife for dinner somewhere. They live on Maui, so will let them pick the spot!

Is there anyone who can provide information about spending some time on a beach on Maui and Kauai? We have been to the islands before, but we wanted a recommendation for a beach.

We were thinking of Maui for our beach day. Any suggestions near where the ships dock?

Besides renting a car...what is the best way (if any) to get to the beaches?

Pretty much need a car on Maui, especially given the ship's schedule.

On Kauai Kalapaki is within walking distance of the ship.

Besides renting a car...what is the best way (if any) to get to the beaches?

Pretty much need a car on Maui, especially given the ship's schedule.

On Kauai Kalapaki is within walking distance of the ship.

Are the car rental agency's near where you dock? Can you reserve a car ahead of time?

Archived