Waiting at the airport after the cruise

txcruise75

I am using the DCL transportation and am assuming that we will be arriving at the airport about 10:30 - 11:00 AM. My flight is not till 4 PM. We have 6 kids and 6 adults with us. Should we rent a car and go somewhere, or take a taxi? I am just worried that kids are going to go crazy with such a long wait. Any thoughts on what to do? How far is Downtown Disney? Also, could we check in our luggage that early?

YOu are going to have to rent a couple of cars! Another option might be a few day rooms at the Orlando Airport Hyatt. The last time I saw the sign they were $89 and then you could use the pool there.

If you leave MCO remember that it's known for security issues. I always allow two hours at this airport!

You do have a lot of time to play with, but, remember getting thru security at Orlando international can be SLOW.

This past summer we were in line close to one hour from the time we got in the line leading to the TSO screaners. Over crowded, and 3 lines checking your airline tickets merge into 1 to get to the screaners.

Not many friendly people that would let you merge in. Many rude people.

So if you get off the ship at 10am. about 45 min to airport one hour thru security (on a bad day) how much time would that leave you to have fun doing something?

Safe travels.

You can't check luggage until four hours prior to your flight, and MCO doesn't have a left luggage office.

You'd need to be back to the airport by 2:00 pm to allow that large of a group to get checked in and get through security.

I wouldn't leave luggage in a van or SUV where it can be seen at any of the malls, unless you plan on valet parking at Millennia.

Because you've got such a large group, I think the most convenient thing to do would be to get a few day rooms at the airport Hyatt and spend the time swimming.

There isn't much right at the airport. Budget 45 minutes to get to Downtown Disney (though it can be quicker). If you want to leave, I'd investige some sort of limo/car service rather than a rental car.

But MCO is a decent place to kill time. There are many shops, inlcuding big Disney and Universal stores. There's also some sit-down restaurants. Note that most of the good stuff if before you go through security.

There isn't much right at the airport. Budget 45 minutes to get to Downtown Disney (though it can be quicker). If you want to leave, I'd investige some sort of limo/car service rather than a rental car.

But MCO is a decent place to kill time. There are many shops, inlcuding big Disney and Universal stores. There's also some sit-down restaurants. Note that most of the good stuff if before you go through security.

The biggest problem with the idea of just killing time in the airport is luggage for 12 people that can't be checked until noon. Schlepping that around for a couple of hours is completely unfeasible considering six of the 12 are children.

I am using the DCL transportation and am assuming that we will be arriving at the airport about 10:30 - 11:00 AM. My flight is not till 4 PM.

We had the same thing. It is a long time. I would see if you can get a room for the day. There really is not much time to do much else.

The amount of time this question is raised both by Cruisers and general Orlando visitors is amazing. The Hyatt is (IMO) the right thing to do. If you go to Down Town Disney, at best you would only have a couple of hours which I would way wasn't worth it.

If I had a couple of Million to spend, I would buy some land near the airport and build an indoor water park/ entertainment centre with left luggage and free MCO transfers. It would make so much money!!! If anybody fancies going into business with me PM me ;). My idea is copyrighted BTW ;)

We had the same thing. It is a long time. I would see if you can get a room for the day. There really is not much time to do much else.

With a group of 12 they will need three rooms. Even though they are day rooms, the Hyatt still has fire code responsibilities.

I don't know if you are aware but check to see if your airline participates with Disney and the "luggage program." Not sure what they call it. But if they do, when they take your bags the last night of the cruise they will check the with the airline for you (you won't see them until you arrive at home, or need to handle them). Worth looking into if you're not sure.

Archived