Anyone pay the extra for early bird on Southwest?

kiraryker

As long as you can check yourself in - or have someone check in for you - 24-hours ahead of time, there's no reason to pay for it. I fly SW all the time, have never used the service, never had a problem.

If you are going to be somewhere at the 24-hour mark where it's difficult to check yourself in, and you don't have anyone to check in for you, it might be worthwhile.

So if I purchase the EB for all 5 of us - we do NOT have to check in until we get to the airport and it won't make a difference on our getting on earlier? Or do we still need to check in before our flight? Sorry just have never used SW before

True. You would not have to check in ahead of time. Southwest will pick your boarding order prior to the general public being able to check in.

You ask if it "really" makes a difference. Well, yes, obviously. You'd be in the earliest group, with a lower number than those who jump on their computer at 24 hrs. before the flight. I think what you're asking is whether it's worth the cost. Up to you, again obviously. If you can't check-in online right at 24 hrs., and you don't want to risk being in a late group (e.g., having just middle seats left), you may want to pay the $10 pp. If it's not a big deal for you (e.g., the flight is short and/or you aren't worrying about getting 2 or more seats together and would not worry about getting stuck in separate middle seats), then probably not. I doubt most people pay the fee.

On one trip this year we took two Southwest flights. In one case we did not pay the extra, and ended up with numbers in the low 30s (and that was checking in right at 24 hrs. before the flight). We found a window and middle seat next to each other. In the other case I paid the extra, and we got numbers in the low 20s. Still not at the very front, but early enough that we scored exit row seats. This can obviously vary widely from flight to flight (with more of a difference existing on flights that are very popular). One reason we paid the $10 for the second trip was that it involved two separate flights.

We use it if we are flying home the same day we get off of the ship. No reason to mess with the slow shipboard internet connections to get checked in. Another way is to have a friend or relative at home check you in at the 24 hour mark and then print your boarding passes at the airport.

I think I will pay the extra $10 for all 5 of us as we would like to sit next to each other or very close - I don't want my kids scattered all over the plane.

Since middle seats are not desired by most people, unless you really want only windows and aisles with a stranger in between (yes, I have traveled that way on other airlines, since neither me nor my travel companion wanted the middle seat), you might pay for early bird for just four of you. Claim window and aisle seats with two empty middle seats. Chances are pretty good if you do this, especially toward the back of the plane, that one of the two middle seats will stay free until the fifth person boards.

I know some will cry "foul" but anyone is welcome to sit in either of those middle seats. They are not "reserved."

I am flying home with a connecting flight. Will the one $10 fee cover me for both returning flights? Or would I have to pay $10 twice? Thanks...Kathy

$10 per person per direction.

We used the EB last October when we were traveling with a toddler. Paying the $10 put us in the first 3rd of the passengers, DIL and the baby were in the 2nd 3rd with 24 hr ahead checkin.

It put us ahead by about 40 passengers, so there was a much larger selection of seats available. We chose it so that we could get the carseat installed before the baby boarded. SW does not early board families like other airlines do. DH took a row and worked on the carseat, I took the aisle seat directly across from him, giving us the 4 seats together we needed.

Of course people saw the carseat and moved as far away as they could from us.;)

We used the EB last October when we were traveling with a toddler. Paying the $10 put us in the first 3rd of the passengers, DIL and the baby were in the 2nd 3rd with 24 hr ahead checkin.

It put us ahead by about 40 passengers, so there was a much larger selection of seats available. We chose it so that we could get the carseat installed before the baby boarded. SW does not early board families like other airlines do. DH took a row and worked on the carseat, I took the aisle seat directly across from him, giving us the 4 seats together we needed.

so,,in other words,,, you SAVED seats for people who were boarding later?

In some cases and in some cities I have done early bird. I like it because it is all taken care of in the initial transaction and I don't have to remember to get on the computer at a certain time. Even if I am on-line at the exact moment that is 24 hours you sometimes don't get a very early number because so many "earlybirds" business or people with apps on phones or computers that can be programed to automatically dial in. For me it is worth the $10 to not stress out about getting a number. I try to get special fares and then feel that $10 is just a bit of a reward for finding the cheap fare. Best thing about early bird is that the early bird gets the bin space near their seat. Often continuing passengers on the flight get some of the most desirable seats so the early bird gets you the best of what's left. You can also go business class which is even more expensive but gets you on the very earliest. Families board between A and B (after the first 60 numbers + business class). Usually early enough for seats together in the rear of the plane.

We always pay the EB rate for Southwest. And have always boarded in the first 5-6 passengers. It has saved a lot of waiting in line, and we can pick the seats that suit us best. Works great when flying home from a cruise where you might have a problem checking in at the 24 hour mark (or just plain forget to do it). I would not fly SW without paying that $10 pp for the EB boarding passes, we find it GREAT.

I used EB for the first time for an early return flight from FLL. We knew we would be unable to check in from the ship 24 hours in advance, so we paid the $10 pp one way only. It worked out great as our flight was full and I never had to worry about having a seat next to DD. I will do it now for each return flight if departing from a ship the following day...no stress.

I am flying home with a connecting flight. Will the one $10 fee cover me for both returning flights? Or would I have to pay $10 twice? Thanks...Kathy

According to the Web site, "EarlyBird Check-In options can be purchased for $10 one-way (origin to destination). You can purchase EarlyBird Check-In on either a one-way or roundtrip basis." Origin to destination, so that would mean $10 covers both flights. If you want to test it, you could go to the Web site, and reserve the flights; you should get a full price, with the $10 extra, before you have to pay, so you'd know for sure. If in doubt, call the airline. We paid $10 pp from PDX to BUR, but while our flight involved a stop, in LAS, there was no change of planes. Flights with connections, as in a change of planes, seem to cost more on Southwest, but the $10 should cover you.

I do think that wanting to increase the chances (not guarantee, of course) of boarding early enough that you can find multiple empty seats together is one sitaution where the $10 is worthwhile. Getting the exit row seats was great for us. My wife felt there was as much leg room as in the FC domestic. flight on US Airways we'd taken earlier on the same trip.

Just to confirm - I did purchase the EB for the 5 of us for each way - so I DO NOT have to check in online or print anything off in advance???? Just show up at the airport - no passes or anything?? Do I need to show anything that I did early bird?

I like the idea of not having to get to a computer or print any passes.

Just to confirm - I did purchase the EB for the 5 of us for each way - so I DO NOT have to check in online or print anything off in advance???? Just show up at the airport - no passes or anything?? Do I need to show anything that I did early bird?

I like the idea of not having to get to a computer or print any passes.

The airline will check you in. You WILL need to print boarding passes at the airport.

so,,in other words,,, you SAVED seats for people who were boarding later?

Nope, never once did we tell someone they could not sit in those seats. We actually thought we were being considerate - by boarding early we did not block the aisle while installing the car seat.

Funny! I know this well when we walk our 160lb Great Dane on the trail everyone that comes upon us seems to take the grass off the trail or actually turn around.:confused: He's actually a big baby

Archived