Crown & Anchor Society level changes

Do the same people whining about the priority access and special off limits area complain about priority lines at the airport for frequent flyers and those in F/J? Or the fact that they get to access the Admirals Club (or whatever it is called for different airlines)? If the Admirals Club is empty, should you get to walk in and use it?

Gosh, I wish my expensive concert tickets got me access to a private bathroom. I'd pay a little extra to avoid those lines!!!!

When paying for a suite you get a bigger, better space for more money. Understandable, just like a first class seat on an airline. Suite guests, D+, get perks of a special lounge. Frequent flyers get the "club". Neither affects other customers because they know that is psrt of the upgraded seat or cabin. However, if first-class flyers take over a lot of the luggage compartments in the regular section in addition to their first-class section, then that affects other paying customers who expect they can store luggage too. Same with the pool area and theater on a cruise. A customer books a cruise EXPECTING equal access to the pool, theater, eating areas, etc. Those public areas should not be used for "perks" that take away from other passengers' ability to the "first come, first served" idea.

When paying for a suite you get a bigger, better space for more money. Understandable, just like a first class seat on an airline. Suite guests, D+, get perks of a special lounge. Frequent flyers get the "club". Neither affects other customers because they know that is psrt of the upgraded seat or cabin. However, if first-class flyers take over a lot of the luggage compartments in the regular section in addition to their first-class section, then that affects other paying customers who expect they can store luggage too. Same with the pool area and theater on a cruise. A customer books a cruise EXPECTING equal access to the pool, theater, eating areas, etc. Those public areas should not be used for "perks" that take away from other passengers' ability to the "first come, first served" idea.

I don't care that they reserve the first few rows in the theatre but reserving an entire section at the pool which remains empty most of the day is crazy. Personally, I wouldn't want to sit in that tiered reserved section so if I were in a suite I'd be sitting somewhere else thus taking even more seats from other passengers.........LOL If they want to reserve a lounge chair they should do it by request only.

I don't care that they reserve the first few rows in the theatre but reserving an entire section at the pool which remains empty most of the day is crazy. Personally, I wouldn't want to sit in that tiered reserved section so if I were in a suite I'd be sitting somewhere else thus taking even more seats from other passengers.........LOL If they want to reserve a lounge chair they should do it by request only.

I never noticed any reserved seating either by the pool or the solarium. I did notice a special area on the Brilliance this past August , forward on either deck 9 or 11 with special yellow large soft towels. Is reserving by the pool new in the caribbean?

The whole change thing could easily have been leaked to CC members to see what kind of reaction may come. RCCL watches threads here so really it is one way to get a quick head count of a split between favor changes and not favor changes...from there they can play with other leaks until they get a level of response they want on a serious of changes that make business sense. Just a though from the Frozen South....

I would have a higher opinion of RCI if they DID leak some of these details in advance and noted experienced cruisers reactions to them. It is a lot easier to tweak the program before it's announced than after. If that means delaying the rollout of the program a few days, no problem.

Many organizations publish proposed changes in rules and ask for feedback. It's too bad that corporations can't seem to do that with their customers. It's as though publicly changing their minds is somehow admitting failure and they only do it in the face of angry protests.

Oh well ... I hope they are being careful and deliberative, and they do take these comments to heart.

Actually, RCI has decided that they will reverting back to a class/cast system. There will now be three steerage and an upper class category. Those in streerage will not be able to even interact with those in upper class. Only upperclass will have access to the pool and entertainment.

In an effort to cull the herd, those in steerage will not be eligible for any C&A credits. It wont matter for those in upper class because the will ALL get ALL the benefits.

Oh and this new program starts Jan 24...I have it on good authority.

This was all precipitated by RCI needing to take away benefits from one group to keep giving more and more to those "entitled" in another.

Greed is good!

it's so interesting to read all of the different "takes/reactions" to perks, VIP treatment, etc. Just goes to show you that whatever RCl does regarding changes, some of us may like them and others will not. there is no pleasing everyone.

VIp treatment. For suite guests.....I don't have a problem with giving suite guests some more perks. They usually pay more than double what a balcony costs! As for reserved seating, in the theater it's not very obvious and it's only a couple of rows. At the pool, it's also a small section (even if it ends up being the tiered area).

Before we got to diamond Plus, I was not even aware that there was

A CL. Then as we started to know more people (and use CC), I was more aware of the perks. I did not resent those that got to use the CL. I felt that ,like other loyalty programs, they "earned" it.

Someone mentioned special lines, etc. used by other companies like airlines.......they have a first class only line and it's usually empty. I don't resent that either! Actually, I wish I was able to afford to fly first class too!

As for the special lines at check in for boarding....the last several cruises the "special" lines are really not very special when they include everyone fro gold to diamond plus......they are usually longer than the "regular" lines.

My thoughts exactly. :) Can't understand all the jealousy or resentment or whatever of so many people out there. :confused:

No customer who does their homework on current policies/procedures should be booking a cruise EXPECTING equal access to the pool, theater, eating areas, etc. That's like the people who book a Royal Caribbean cruise and then complain because there are no self-laundry facilities, or smoking is allowed on balconies, or they're not allowed to bring wine on board.

I have a different take on this idea. To me, "first come, first served" is a false concept anyway.

It just benefits the chair hogs and/or people who are willing to give up hours of their vacation time to go to the theater or pool hours before they actually want to be there - just to get and hold these supposedly coveted seats. Or give up their towels, flip flops, old paperbacks etc. for hours to hold the seats. :rolleyes:

At least with a "perks" system I have the option of either paying more (suite) or waiting my turn (crusing enough to become D+) and then knowing that - at that point - I will be able to enjoy these seats, etc. :)

No customer who does their homework on current policies/procedures should be booking a cruise EXPECTING equal access to the pool, theater, eating areas, etc.

I agree if it is a return customer. However, a new customer might not know to go to the C&A area that details the perks, especially since they can't sign up to be C&A until they are actually on their first cruise.

The policies for wine, smoking, etc. are clearly indicated in the FAQ and then there is this boarding procedure:

6. If you're a Platinum, Diamond or Diamond Plus member of our Crown & Anchor Society, be sure to take advantage of priority check-in and the private departure lounge.

But I don't think that anywhere in the rccl site (which may be the only place a new person would know to look) (outside of the C&A section) that says there may not be full access, for example, to the pool area and theater. I could be wrong, though, since there are dozens of places to look and perhaps I missed one or more.

No customer who does their homework on current policies/procedures should be booking a cruise EXPECTING equal access to the pool, theater, eating areas, etc. That's like the people who book a Royal Caribbean cruise and then complain because there are no self-laundry facilities, or smoking is allowed on balconies, or they're not allowed to bring wine on board.

There is that small detail..... :D

Actually, RCI has decided that they will reverting back to a class/cast system. There will now be three steerage and an upper class category. Those in streerage will not be able to even interact with those in upper class. Only upperclass will have access to the pool and entertainment.

In an effort to cull the herd, those in steerage will not be eligible for any C&A credits. It wont matter for those in upper class because the will ALL get ALL the benefits.

Oh and this new program starts Jan 24...I have it on good authority.

This was all precipitated by RCI needing to take away benefits from one group to keep giving more and more to those "entitled" in another.

Greed is good!

Tsk tsk ... we're debating the appropriateness of programs to encourage return customers? I don't interpret these perks as differences in moral worth or social class. And I don't begrudge them for those who have given one company regular business. It's a relationship, and deeper relationships have additional bonuses tied to them.

Tsk tsk ... we're debating the appropriateness of programs to encourage return customers? I don't interpret these perks as differences in moral worth or social class. And I don't begrudge them for those who have given one company regular business. It's a relationship, and deeper relationships have additional bonuses tied to them.

Oh, please.

Did they completely confiscate your sense of humor in MBA school?

New cruisers are in for a few other surprises, too, then aren't they? Like paid venues, including coffee and ice cream. A first cruise is a learning experience unless someone has read the complete web site. There are so many other places to sit - better locations in my opinion - I don't think a new cruiser will be mad that they can't sit in the few rows near the pool or in the theater. In fact, they can sit in those theater rows if they get there just before the show starts and the seats are empty, which many of them are.

I've seen people try their key in the CL door to see what's in there, only to find it doesn't work and they just don't have access. They move on.

I really don't think most people are that sensitive. NO ONE as suggested by some on here are jealous of a diamond pin any more than they are jealous if someone is carrying around an RCI logo beach bag.

Gina

You've got it. A first time cruiser learns a lot. I love seeing first time cruisers in the naughty room trying to retrieve their luggage. They did their research on filling water bottles and mouthwash bottles with booze but didn't get so far as to find out that the luggage is scanned and that vodka in a water bottle has "legs". :rolleyes: :) Live and learn, cruise and learn.

Gina

You've got it. A first time cruiser learns a lot. I love seeing first time cruisers in the naughty room trying

Gina

I never even heard of the "naughty room" until recently. Really: where is it? I am curious.....I know what it is, but I don't know where it is....

You've got it. A first time cruiser learns a lot. I love seeing first time cruisers in the naughty room trying to retrieve their luggage. They did their research on filling water bottles and mouthwash bottles with booze but didn't get so far as to find out that the luggage is scanned and that vodka in a water bottle has "legs". :rolleyes: :) Live and learn, cruise and learn.

Gina

Hey Gina...what were YOU doing in the naughty room :confused:. I thought you knew all the tricks - lol ;) :D

Hey Gina...what were YOU doing in the naughty room :confused:. I thought you knew all the tricks - lol ;) :D

LOL I KNEW someone would ask that. Actually I was looking for Francisco, the head of security. I wanted to say hi since I had seen him on Serenade in August and he told me he'd be back on Radiance in December. They told us we'd find him down there. Then along came Juan Diego. So we ended up talking a while right there by the naughty room. This was the last time I was there.

We were there once because my husband brought some hair cutting scissors that were confiscated. He didn't know they weren't allowed. We were doing a B2B so he picked them up after the first cruise and just walked right through security with them the next cruise - right through the x-ray machine they went with no questions asked.

I once had a little bit of flavored rum we didn't finish in San Diego. When I pulled it out of my suitcase, they said, "oh, that's not enough to take, you can keep it." :D

It's a fun place to go sight seeing. VERY entertaining. People go nuts down there. Unlike when they see reserved seating and move on. :p

Gina

I never even heard of the "naughty room" until recently. Really: where is it? I am curious.....I know what it is, but I don't know where it is....

In the bowels of the ship. Usually deck 2. On Radiance there was a line stretching for miles! :eek: Sigh.....

All I have to say is that it is a good thing that you meet the most fun people in the naughty line.:D And that I had already a glass of wine in my hand when I found out that I had to join that line.;) Because I was NOT naughty!!! :mad: They pulled out 2 of my bags and when they checked them they agreed that there was nothing illegal in either of them. So they closed them and sent me on my way. I think electrical cords also can get dinged by the scanner. I had my laptop and Kindle cords in one of the bags and my hair straightener and steamer with cord in the other. They looked at the steamer and when they determined that it had no hot plate they put it back.

Next cruise I put anything with a cord in my carry on. Figured I would rather show them when boarding ship than waiting for an hour in a naughty line for nothing later......

Just go there to watch. It's a fun way to start a cruise. People eventually find it when their luggage doesn't show up for various reasons - innocent reasons sometimes, sometimes not. :)

All cruise lines have their perks, special lines, gifts, etc... and all cruise lines have their rules. It's hard to keep them all straight.

Gina

Well I was reading about the closed off area's for the elite (suites, and or D+) I have been on 5 RCCL cruises on 2 ships the Monarch and the Freedom and here is what I noticed

Monarch - Theater had special seating in the back about 20 rows from the stage. Did not notice any special area at the pool. If I had a special pass to be in the VIP area at the theater I would not sit there.

Freedom - Theater VIP area center stage Upper deck. again better areas for general admission. Ice Show the Center area. I sat on the side right at ice level, The only area at the pool was at an elevated area that I would not even go to.

From my own experience being a gold member that the Genearal admision area were better that the VIP areas.

I never noticed any reserved seating either by the pool or the solarium. I did notice a special area on the Brilliance this past August , forward on either deck 9 or 11 with special yellow large soft towels. Is reserving by the pool new in the caribbean?

There was a roped off area next to the pool bar on Freedom. It was part of the tiered area that goes up to the next deck, and it was usually empty.

I've seen people try their key in the CL door to see what's in there, only to find it doesn't work and they just don't have access. They move on.

Gina

I have also seen this and folks just trying to open the door. When I see them and it is not during breakfast or Happy Hour I have no problems opening the door and offering a brief explaination about the room. Most folks seem to appreciate it.

There was a roped off area next to the pool bar on Freedom. It was part of the tiered area that goes up to the next deck, and it was usually empty.

On our May 2010 Freedom cruise, this area was roped off for suite guests, but on our August 2010 Freedom, it was open to everyone.

Archived