NCL Jade

JHol

We are thinking of booking a new year cruise on NCL Jade for 2011-2012. We have only sailed on P&O ships before so would appreciate any honest comments about Jade;). We like to dress up for dinner so this would be a must for us:). How formal/informal is Jade.

Looking forward to your replies

We are thinking of booking a new year cruise on NCL Jade for 2011-2012. We have only sailed on P&O ships before so would appreciate any honest comments about Jade;). We like to dress up for dinner so this would be a must for us:). How formal/informal is Jade.

It is fine for you to dress up on any NCL ship, but don't expect others to do the same. NCL has a very liberal dress code and they suggest resort casual for the dining rooms, but allow jeans and shorts in some of the dining venues.

They also have a "dress up or not" night when many like to dress up to have pictures taken, but again, it is not required. They allow you to choose your type of attire.

We have not sailed on Jade but other NCL Ships. All were informal and we loved it! We sail Jade this April. We booked our cruise early 2010 (Jan/Feb). This time last year NCL had a great sale. I received an e-mail this morning and it appears they are having a great sale again. We received a balcony at oceanview price. As we followed the price of the cruise through 2010, the prices only increased. I say pay the deposit to hold your price while you continue your research...:)

Have fun!

We sailed on the Jade this past Nov. I also like to "dress" for dinner - black skirt, dressy top, etc. You will see everything but it didn't bother me. Alot of people also dressed up a little each evening but there were always some that didn't. The one dining room (I think it was called the Grand Pacific) seemed a little more formal than the Alizar.

We have only sailed on 1 p&o ship ,ventura,didnt enjoy it v much,scruffy,down market as im sure you have read. However it is still much more formal than the Jade. We luv the jade( 4 cruises) but it truely is freestyle cruising,many passengers do not dress up at all, it is not a traditional cruise as brits think of a cruise, it is casual. We dress up by choice but are in the minority. Try the jade you might enjoy just how relaxing it is.

Compared to P&O you will find the drink prices extortionate, as well as the tips which are double what P&O recommend. You can, of course, either reduce the tips or remove them entirely.

No problem dressing up for dinner, and Grand Pacific is best for that. Just don't expect others to be similarly dressed!

We find NCL is overall comparable to P&O, some aspects better and some not so good. Generally the cruise costs less on NCL, mitigating against the higher tips. We tend to cruise according to itinery, and our 3 most recent cruises were NCL....the three planned already for 2011 do not include NCL, and one of them is P&O.

Give NCL a try, and make your own judgement!

We just got off the Jade, but have not sailed P&O so cannot make much of a comparison, but we have sailed several other lines. We were on a 12 day cruise just prior to Christmas and they had 2 "Dress Up or Not" nights on the Jade and we did choose to dress up each of these nights as did over half of the other passengers who chose to eat in the dining rooms. There are more photographers available during these nights and you will not feel out of place. The other nights were a little more relaxed, but there were some who dressed up each night. I think overall with the Mediterranean itinerary people were certainly better dressed than if you cruised the Carribbean during the middle of summer. There are also several upcharge options dining options if you choose, which all appeared to be a little fancier than the MDR. Overall we enjoyed our cruise and the dining was up to par with other lines almost every night.

We just got off the Jade, but have not sailed P&O so cannot make much of a comparison, but we have sailed several other lines. We were on a 12 day cruise just prior to Christmas and they had 2 "Dress Up or Not" nights on the Jade and we did choose to dress up each of these nights as did over half of the other passengers who chose to eat in the dining rooms. There are more photographers available during these nights and you will not feel out of place. The other nights were a little more relaxed, but there were some who dressed up each night. I think overall with the Mediterranean itinerary people were certainly better dressed than if you cruised the Carribbean during the middle of summer. There are also several upcharge options dining options if you choose, which all appeared to be a little fancier than the MDR. Overall we enjoyed our cruise and the dining was up to par with other lines almost every night.

I also just got off the Jade and agree that passengers tended to dress a little better.

However, I disagree about the food. There were many good dishes, but there were others that were among the worst I have had on any cruise ship including several that were so badly oversalted that I could not eat them. I also found that the menus were often repetitive - very similar salads 3 nights in a row, strip loin twice in 9 nights, etc. In fact, I began to wonder if they were purposely doing it to encourage you to go to one of the alternative restaurants.

I have to ask... We leave on the Jade for a 12 day cruise in three weeks. This is my first NCL cruise. I was happy about forgoing the suit and tie this trip (mainly due to luggege space) and planned on khakis and polos most evenings. Will this be alright for the whole cruise?

We were on the Jade Istanbul to Barcelona in 2008 and have booked Rome round-trip by way of Alexandria in December 2011. I think it is a little more formal than Star, a little less than Sun, but there isn't a lot of difference. We think it is a great ship. Should you decide on the December sailing from Rome, join the rollcall and maybe we'll share a table on dress-or-don't night.

I have to ask... We leave on the Jade for a 12 day cruise in three weeks. This is my first NCL cruise. I was happy about forgoing the suit and tie this trip (mainly due to luggege space) and planned on khakis and polos most evenings. Will this be alright for the whole cruise?

Your attire will be acceptable anywhere on the ship at all times.

We were on the Jade Istanbul to Barcelona in 2008 and have booked Rome round-trip by way of Alexandria in December 2011. I think it is a little more formal than Star, a little less than Sun, but there isn't a lot of difference. We think it is a great ship. Should you decide on the December sailing from Rome, join the rollcall and maybe we'll share a table on dress-or-don't night.

Is it the Dec 28th sailing? We are on that sailing as well!:D

Absolutely. The first "dress up" night we did not even notice that it was one so we wore slacks to dinner as did many others.

Archived