Garment Bag Question

newtocruise11

Is it a full garment bag/suitcase type, or a thinner one for 1 or two hangers? For either, I would make sure the garments were in the thin dry-cleaners bags first.

Its just a plain long bag. Could hold probably 3-5 hangers with clothes on them. We are the type that dont wear that stuff much, so no dry cleaners. Just makes sense to have them in that, then folded up in a full suitcase.

I don't do dry-cleaners either (the chemicals used make me uneasy). But over the years, when we have purchased dresses etc, sometimes the stores put them in the same type bags. I just save them.

Do you have friends who might save them for you?

With a garment bag like that, I think I would try to get it into my suitcase. If is packed full, it should not shift, and be able to minimize wrinkles.

Just packing for our cruise. Was wondering how people bring on suits and dresses. We were going to have them in a long garmet bag to avoid wrinkling in a suitcase. Do you carry this on or check it?? Thanks!!

We used to bring garment bags for DH's suits and my dresses. Then the airlines started charging for luggage. Now, when I pack, I put all our clothing and stuff in the regular suitcases. I fold the suit slacks in thirds and lay it on top of everything in the suitcase. Then I take the suit coat, place it on the bed, front side down. I fold both arms in towards the middle, fold the bottom half up towards the top, and lay it on top of the slacks. I do the same with my dresses. No problems and no wrinkles. And no extra luggage anymore.

We always bring a garment bag, ours is one that folds also. We always have it as one of our carry ons. If it isn't too big you can do that and sometimes the flight attendents will put it up front and hang it for you. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Karen

We always bring a garment bag, ours is one that folds also. We always have it as one of our carry ons. If it isn't too big you can do that and sometimes the flight attendents will put it up front and hang it for you. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Karen

Depends on the airline and other variables such as number of passengers and space. We flew to Las Vegas to get married. I had my wedding dress as carryon in soft garment bag. This was United and first flight they didn't have the room to hang it - the closet held the pilots stuff. The flight was not full and was able to put in one of the overheads without having to share. The second flight was totally booked and again there was no room in any closet for them to hang it. By the time we boarded the overheads near us were already half conusmed - no empty ones. I didn't want to risk it and fortunately some kind passengers emptied theirs for the dress and moved their bags to other half full ones. We placed our other carry on in the seat in front of us.

As far as taking our dress clothes on flights and cruises - we use the garment bag that folds in half from our luggage set. We check it and let the porters handle it. Never had a problem yet. I hang each garment on a wire hanger and place in a tall kitchen size trash bag. (I never have enough leftover dry cleaner bags so I use the cheapest tall kitchen plastic bags I can find -they are thinner than Hefty- and I usually can find clear). They come out wrinkle free - and I usually pack about a week before we leave.

If you go to the/a dry cleaners, and you're a customer, they'll give you some for free. If you're not a customer, they may charge you a buck or so, but it's well worth it. The garment bag is the only thing I don't have packed, but everything's hanging together in the closet already in the dry cleaners bags/plastic

We usually take a soft garment bag and use it as a carry on. Most of the time we get stopped and are told that it will not fit through the scanner. We say Thank you and take it anyway and it always fits.

We have a very nice hard side garment bag that we check pier side.

We area little old fashion and still dress for dinner every night so we do tend to bring a lot of clothes but the bag I am talking about also works very well for anything else you want to pack in it along with shoes as it has seperate pockets

We carry on our soft-sided garment bag which folds in half. We are able to placelight weight coats in it, plus our formal wear. I also usually hang a few nice tops that would otherwise wrinkle if folded. We don't fly in to port so we have no experience taking it on an airplane though.

• 2 weeks later...
Explain about the drying cleaning bags. It helps keep the clothes less wrinkled? I have never heard of this.

Yes. Friction causes wrinkles, the plastic reduces friction. The bags also double for the trip home to presort dirty laundry in for washer loads or to put wet clothes in or etc...

Another helpful tip, put your socks and underwear in a gallon ziplock baggie - zip it to almost closed and then press the air out - then zip the rest of the way closed. Unbelievable how small and flat - and when security rummages through your bag, they don't pop out for those embarrassing Kodak moments.

We also have a garment bag that goes with our luggage. We just check it through. The clothes usually turn out fine. I know that the dry cleeaning bags do work, But I assume any plastic bag long enough will work. We have also found that the garment bags holds the fins well. They take up a lot of room and are heavy.

I don't do dry-cleaners either (the chemicals used make me uneasy). But over the years, when we have purchased dresses etc, sometimes the stores put them in the same type bags. I just save them.

Do you have friends who might save them for you?

With a garment bag like that, I think I would try to get it into my suitcase. If is packed full, it should not shift, and be able to minimize wrinkles.

You can go to a dry cleaners and just BUY THE BAGS. I do, sometimes 10 cents a bag, sometimes a few dollars for a bunch of bags, sometimes free.

I have special hangers for travel with clips for pants. I put a pair of pants on the hanger, then a dry cleaner bag. Then a shirt over that and another dry cleaner bag.

No wrinkles and I have to stuff my giant sized clothes into regular people sized luggage.

Explain about the drying cleaning bags. It helps keep the clothes less wrinkled? I have never heard of this.

Yes, the plastic bags keep your clothes wrinkle-free. It is a great tip that I learned from my mother years ago....and it really works. We too use a garment bag that folds in half, it is a piece of luggage, too big to carry on, but wonderful for better clothing.....and we put each hanger in its own cleaning plastic bag.....nothing ever needs pressing. Good luck!

Archived