Portofino: booking questions

We are cruising on Explorer of the Seas on July 21, 2011 on the 9-night sailing. DH and I want to go to Portofino one evening, just the 2 of us, while the kids are in the evening's camp activities. I know we can book Portofino some time before the sailing date, but I have some questions:

1. How far in advance before sailing date can you book Portofino?

2. How do I choose which night to go there? We love the MDR dinner too, and I would love to see the dinner menus in advance if possible, to make choosing the date easier.

3. Is it really difficult to get a 7:30pm reservation? The kids' camp (as far as I know) begins at 7pm for evening activities.

4. What happens if I have to cancel our reservation? Is there a penalty? (This would only happen if we couldn't leave the kids in the camp)

5. Does anyone know which nights are the formal nights on the 9-night cruise? We will be with extended family and friends too, and we all want to dine in the MDR on the formal nights.

I would greatly appreciate an answer to any of these questions if you could help. And if anyone has any other advice, please feel free to post that too! Thanks in advance! :)

We are cruising on Explorer of the Seas on July 21, 2011 on the 9-night sailing. DH and I want to go to Portofino one evening, just the 2 of us, while the kids are in the evening's camp activities. I know we can book Portofino some time before the sailing date, but I have some questions:

1. How far in advance before sailing date can you book Portofino?

2. How do I choose which night to go there? We love the MDR dinner too, and I would love to see the dinner menus in advance if possible, to make choosing the date easier.

3. Is it really difficult to get a 7:30pm reservation? The kids' camp (as far as I know) begins at 7pm for evening activities.

4. What happens if I have to cancel our reservation? Is there a penalty? (This would only happen if we couldn't leave the kids in the camp)

5. Does anyone know which nights are the formal nights on the 9-night cruise? We will be with extended family and friends too, and we all want to dine in the MDR on the formal nights.

I would greatly appreciate an answer to any of these questions if you could help. And if anyone has any other advice, please feel free to post that too! Thanks in advance! :)

Answers to when you can book seem to vary. We're sailing Jan 30 and booked Portofino on Oct 10th.

I believe you can cancel up to 24 hours prior without penalty but am not sure.

As for 7:30, you might get it online, if not you can take a chance and book on board. Or if you can't get that online you could book something close and try to change it once you're on the ship.

Nights 3 & 4 are typically my least favorite nights. Usually, formal nights are 2 & either 5 or 6 on the 9 night. 7:30pm is a popular time; I would try to book it online when dining opens. You can do a search for Portofino on the Royal website to see details such as cancellation penalties (I think it is 24 hours).

Archived