Acapulco

turtlemichael

Please do not interpret this as a troll. I just want some facts.

I have heard from "friends of friends of friends" some negative things about Acapulco in terms of personal security (pickpockets, not walking in quiet streets even in broad daylight) and pleasantness (agressive touts, taxi drivers hoping to pay for a college education just on your fare, generally being "ripped off").

Is this all an exaggeration? Is security etc the same as anywhere else?

On our Summit trip in October we hoped to maybe wander around town, window shop, people watch, have a nice lunch somewhere, maybe visit the cliff divers and spend some time on a beach. Is all this achievable without feeling threatened and "on guard". I recall last year being able to do such things in European ports without being constantly on guard that I was about to be mugged or fleeced.

Reassuring words would be appreciated as would views on how others see the situation. Thanks.

Okay, let me start off by saying there is crime and pickpockets anywhere you travel in the world. Just be alert and don't put your wallet in your back pocket, etc. Sounds like you have traveled and know the basics so....

Now that I've said that....we were in Acapulco last month and did not have any problems. Are vendors and taxi drivers sometimes aggresive?--yes, but not anymore so than many other ports I have been to in the Caribbean and Mexico. We felt very comfortable and safe, in fact more so in Mexico than in Europe or the Caribbean. When people get aggressive a simple no thanks works there, unlike Jamaica. Before you get in a cab, settle on the price of the fare and make sure the quote is for all in your party and not per person.

We did a ship's tour in the morning and saw the highlights and cliff divers and then went on our own for lunch. I know others have hired a driver to take them for a tour as they departed the cruise terminal. As far as wandering around streets, well I don't even do that at home unless I have researched the area. Acapulco was not the type of town where you walk around quaint little streets and window shop, atleast not from what we saw. It is a big, bustling city that has many places to see and eat but spread out all over. I think the beach idea is a good idea..a lot of the resorts will let you hang out on their property for a nominal fee or maybe free. We went to the Mayan Palace Hotel and WOW! It was beautiful and they have a pool alongside the ocean that is 1 mile long! As far as lunch, we took a cab out to Senor Frog's. It was a $15 cabride from the pier but well worth it. It was nothing like the party atmosphere we have experienced at other Senor Frogs in other cities. It has a million dollar view over Acapulco Bay in a old stone building. We are in our 30's and we were the youngest people there. The food was authentic Mexican and seafood. Delicious! They had wonderful fresh fruit magaritas too! It did not open till 1pm and there was no problem getting a cab back from there even though it is a ways out.

Well I have rambled on, but as you can see, we enjoyed ourselves in Acapulco and all the ports we visited on the Mexican Riviera. If you have any questions I will be more than happy to answer. Hope this helps!

I totally agree with the previous post. Acapulco is a huge city with the same types of crime as any large city that has tourism as its main business.

I also would not recommend just wandering around because there really isn't much right around the port area. Check out the thread by ACAPort Authority in this forum. Roberto is a wealth of information and can answer any questions you have about his city.

We spent two days pre-cruise in Acapulco last year and will spend another day there this month. I can't wait- we had a great time. Go with some street smarts and an open mind and you will also find it an exciting place to visit.

I just got home yesterday from 10 day Riveria Cruise with Mercury. This was my first time in Acapulco and was I ever glad that I booked a tour with the ship. I chose the Walking/San Diego Fort/"Authorized Shopping Tour". The guide was very informative, we started at the Fort which is across the street from the dock, then to a Mask Museum, to the town square to see a church and then to the over priced "Authorized Store" for some shopping and free beer and drinks. It lasted four hours and only cost $24.00. I felt the money for the excursion was well worth it.

Several of my table mates (who went on their own) were scamed from a taxi driver claiming to be with the goverment tourist office and his taxi was no charge. He began following them until they finally gave in only to find him taking them to where he wanted them to shop and would not leave them alone once they were out of his cab. They finally gave him more money to leave them alone.

Other people had complaints as well, I never did feel comfortable walking by myself, it was obvious I was not from this. Others stayed close to the boardwalk and shops near the port with no complaints, just ahhs from the beautiful warm beach.

Thanks guys. I have travelled extensively. All over Asia, Europe, North America and South America. I am aware of the precautions one takes and I try not to put myself in dangerous situations.

But situations vary and being in the middle of Paris at lunchtime is different from being in Mumbai! Hence my questions about Acapulco where, as I said, I had heard some very negative things. I feel reassured now and will plan accordingly. Thanks again.

Archived