What no Clotted Cream?

keithm

I know this will generate responses..some serious, some humourous. We noticed that they definately didn't use Clotted Cream(for scones) on our Nov.27th trip. It was a whipped butter. It was pretty good,but not the same. We were in Q-Grill, so I was a bit surprised. I actually plan on bringing a few bottles in my luggage the next trip. I'm sure it will get some looks in the Grills Lounge, but I'll have no problem sharing. The Caviar,however was actually quite good.:)

I know this will generate responses..some serious, some humourous. We noticed that they definately didn't use Clotted Cream(for scones) on our Nov.27th trip. It was a whipped butter. It was pretty good,but not the same. We were in Q-Grill, so I was a bit surprised. I actually plan on bringing a few bottles in my luggage the next trip. I'm sure it will get some looks in the Grills Lounge, but I'll have no problem sharing. The Caviar,however was actually quite good.:)

Where do you buy bottles of Clotted Cream Keith?

It has not been served in Queens Room for several years, just a white "mushy" blob, that looks as though it comes from a can IMHO.

About 2 years ago after much discussion, I spoke with the Head honcho in the Qieens Room at tea, and for a group of CC obtained a closer relatve of clotted cream from "behind the scenes". Still was not the "real thing" but was better than the kind served to all the others at tea that day.

Where do you buy bottles of Clotted Cream Keith?

It has not been served in Queens Room for several years, just a white "mushy" blob, that looks as though it comes from a can IMHO.

About 2 years ago after much discussion, I spoke with the Head honcho in the Qieens Room at tea, and for a group of CC obtained a closer relatve of clotted cream from "behind the scenes". Still was not the "real thing" but was better than the kind served to all the others at tea that day.

If you have a Wholefoods market nearby. They carry clotted as well as "Devonshire Double" cream. I know they have it in the grills, but I'll bring along my own supply.

Hi Keith, Like i suggested to Jims girl (Lynn) , why don't you guys find another cruise line???? Clooted cream give me a break!!!!

It appears to me that you people do more complaining than say much good. I also was also on the Nov 27th cruise and found it in all respects to be a marvelous cruise and cruise line. To your question to me on an earlier posting, this was our 15th cruise. We will certainlly sail Cunard again. CTCRUISERS2

P.S. No, I do not work for the Cunard Cruise Line

By the way, while we are on the subject has anyone ever tried "mock clotted cream"? I am giving a tea/baby shower and am going to Whole Foods to buy one jar, but it is expensive, so I am going to try to make the mock stuff. No one there will know the difference anyway and I would like to see if there is any difference myself.

By the way, while we are on the subject has anyone ever tried "mock clotted cream"? I am giving a tea/baby shower and am going to Whole Foods to buy one jar, but it is expensive, so I am going to try to make the mock stuff. No one there will know the difference anyway and I would like to see if there is any difference myself.

I've tried mock turtle soup, but mock clotted cream is well beyond my field of expertise I'm afraid. :D

J

Hi Keith, Like i suggested to Jims girl (Lynn) , why don't you guys find another cruise line???? Clooted cream give me a break!!!!

It appears to me that you people do more complaining than say much good. I also was also on the Nov 27th cruise and found it in all respects to be a marvelous cruise and cruise line. To your question to me on an earlier posting, this was our 15th cruise. We will certainlly sail Cunard again. CTCRUISERS2

It is Clotted cream not clooted

Why should we find another cruise line?

Cunard advertise with great hoohaa their afternoon English Tea, and that means Clotted cream for the scones.

So all we are asking for is that which Cunard advertises.

You may be prepared to accept entrees that come up cold instead of hot, service so slow you have to leave the dining room before being served desert, having a waiter that forgot to serve three diners their entrees etc all of which happened at my table first seating Britannia Nov 27th, but Ithink that very poor service for almost $300 pd I had to pay for an inside cabin. If it did not happen to you be thankful.

Every passengers has a different experience,depending on cabin cat, the deck, stewards attitude,their waiter, first or second seating, upper or lower tiers, Britannia , Club,Princess or Queens Grills, or the staffer at the Pursers desk.

Passengers /staff are not "wigets" as in manufacturing , each one a clone of the others.

I do suggest that you read the reviews for all three ships, for the past two/three months, and you will see that the same poor service due to untrained staff has occurred on all three ships.

You are I fear a classic example of an old proverb,

There are none so deaf as those that do not want to hear, so blind as those who do not wish to see, so dumb as those that do not wish to speak , nor so stupid as those who do not wish to learn.

I love clotted cream as much as anyone, but I must speak up for the excellence of American cold heavy cream that has been whipped to perfection with just a touch of real vanilla and perhaps a teaspoon of sugar. In a pinch it will "do," as we say. Very, very good on shoe leather.

Lord Kay of Shandon.

It wouldn't be a Cunard cruise without the clotted cream and scones and those cucumber sandwiches.

Oh dear - cucumber. As we used to say in Scotland "I like it, but it doesn't like me"! Other than that I'm quite partial to afternoon tea.

J

Just got off Queen Elizabeth Festive Debut cruise today

The scones during the whole time are not even worthy of being called scones much less warrant clotted cream

Sadly either Carnival Influence is wrecking the joint or the new Exec Chef is simply not up to the job

Cannot say any of the Dinner Menus in Brittania were exhilarating ang glad i am not on the 104 day World cruise

It wouldn't be a Cunard cruise without the clotted cream and scones and those cucumber sandwiches.

At my one (pretty awful) lunch in the Britannia restaurant, I was seated at a large table of six. One of the women at the table went on and on and freakin' ON about the cream being the wrong sort, and the cucumber sandwiches failing to be denuded of their crusts, and I think there was something else that set her off. Somehow these terrible violations of accepted social norms were due to Cunard catering to its American customers.

For just a minute I thought I was back here reading CruiseCritic:eek:

Just got off Queen Elizabeth Festive Debut cruise today

The scones during the whole time are not even worthy of being called scones much less warrant clotted cream

Sadly either Carnival Influence is wrecking the joint or the new Exec Chef is simply not up to the job

Cannot say any of the Dinner Menus in Brittania were exhilarating ang glad i am not on the 104 day World cruise

Careful phillipahain, or a certain poster. will tell you to go on another cruise line.

How dare we imply Cunard is anything other than "wonderful" or "fabulous" and all the staff are absolutely first class!!!!!' The food is "oustanding" . It is our own fault if we do not have a great cruise!

So now you know,- you are the one who ruined the scones not the chef. As for the menus, it is not the fault of the chef if you did not find the food "outstanding" , it is that you are too picky, too demanding, etc etc.

Sadly I have to agree with you, soneone in HQ is wrecking Cunard, and it is not passengers like myself, who simply report "how it was" .

Having read reviews of all three ships, it is obvious the something has gone seriously wrong in the last two/three months which is affecting all three ships.

We were on QV in October and the cruise and food etc was great

and following previous Cunard cruises at last thought we had found the level of food /service/dress codes etc we enjoy

Could not have had better cabin or resturant staff on this latest cruise but the standard of food and strange menus and the attitude from Pursers desk etc was awful

Entertainment was somewhat mixed the Guest Entertainers were either truly excellent or absolutely appalling

The internet was an almost non existant joke for most of last 10 days too

Perhaps if you read my review, you would see how grand it was. That all aside there have been some "cheap" takes as of late. We had Clotted Cream in '09 in the Queens Grill lounge. This year it was "whipped" butter. If you look at past menus you'll see things such as "Sweet Breads,Foi Gras" are no longer on the Grills menu. We venture off menu frquently. These aforementioned items were available to us. What would happen to those who are a little less adventuresome? They miss out on a lot of fine things. I knew to venture off menu, however most don't. Did you know those in Britannia are entitled to a fruit basket? You'll find my reviews of Cunard are mostly very favorable. Try reading them instead of judging others!

I love clotted cream as much as anyone, but I must speak up for the excellence of American cold heavy cream that has been whipped to perfection with just a touch of real vanilla and perhaps a teaspoon of sugar. In a pinch it will "do," as we say. Very, very good on shoe leather.

Lord Kay of Shandon.

Vanilla and sugar in cream? You're killing me. Good cold dairy cream doesn't need anything added.

But then I wouldn't put maple syrup on my pancakes or sugar on my oatmeal. I've lived in California for twenty years but some habits I just can't "assimilate."

Archived