silly ? about the train ?

DONNALAKA

ty john ...

and is it necessary to purchase tickets ahead of time ?

We were on a cruise tour so there was not a ticket issue, but I suggest booking ahead. You will be there in the heart of the season and the last thing you want is to try to get tickets while you are there only to find it sold out (or have the schedule not fit yours).

Have a great cruise!

It is my understanding from another post on this board that the only train to Whittier from Anchorage is 10 AM, arriving 12:20 PM. We are spending a few days pre-cruise in Anchorage and are planning on going to Whittier the day the ship departs.

BQ, is 12:20 too late to arrive at the ship the first day to settle in and make any reservations for dinner or deal with any surprise problems, etc? We could keep the rental car and drive it to Whittier but my husband would rather rest and ride at this point and leave it in Anchorage. Also, is that drive mountainous at all?

NO, I am never in a rush to get on Alaska southbound ships and rarely am on before dinner. No mountain driving if you are referring to the Arm?? It's only 60 miles, Anchorage/Whittier. Extremely scenic and not the best via bus in my opinion. :) But if you have a car- then I would definately make this drive before cruise day. I often drive it 4-5-6- times. It is that enjoyable for me. :)

We considered a rental car to Whittier, but here are some drawbacks that we discovered to that idea: The drop-off fee is extremely high to leave the car in Whittier and there is only an Avis rental company I understand. Also, there is a tunnel between Anchorage and Whittier that is one-way alternating northbound and southbound, so you must plan that. I was told by someone in Anchorage that the tunnel is one-way for 2 hour intervals, so if you didn't hit it at the right time you would have quite a wait. I believe this info to be correct based on my research, but it is not first-hand experience, so take it for what it is worth.

We considered a rental car to Whittier, but here are some drawbacks that we discovered to that idea: The drop-off fee is extremely high to leave the car in Whittier and there is only an Avis rental company I understand. Also, there is a tunnel between Anchorage and Whittier that is one-way alternating northbound and southbound, so you must plan that. I was told by someone in Anchorage that the tunnel is one-way for 2 hour intervals, so if you didn't hit it at the right time you would have quite a wait. I believe this info to be correct based on my research, but it is not first-hand experience, so take it for what it is worth.

NOPE- the tunnel on average is open 15min/hour in each direction. http://www.dot.state.ak.us/creg/whittiertunnel/schedule.shtml

And the Avis rental car is an excellent option for those who are short on time. Being able to stop several times along the ARM is well worth the $125 drop fee compared to a transportation only bus.

Archived