My trip on the Pride of America and the Hawaii Islands.

chet the jet

Wed. December 8, 2010. Pasco – Honolulu

Brian and I did not sleep at all Tue night so we were both up at 2:30 in the mooring. Took off for the airport a 3:45 and got our tickets and were ready to board at 4:45. No pat down. We left Pasco at 6:10 because we had to have the wings deiced. Got to San Francisco at 8:45 and was on the other plane 15 minutes later. Our plane took off on time but was 10 minutes late getting into Honolulu but our ride to the hotel was there. We got to the Sheraton Princess Ka’iulani Hotel at 1:30. We were to have a room looking over the city but they upgraded us to a room on the 8th floor of Princess wing overlooking the pool. We can see part of the Waikiki beach also. This is great.

After checking in we went to the International Market Place to get something to eat. Then we started walking, walking and more walking. Got the shirt that I wanted and a few other things. Walked Waikiki beach all the way down to Kuhio Beach park. Then back to the hotel to just rest for an hour. We did more walking back to Kuhio Beach park and went out on a peer to watch the sunset. It was just beautiful. Now it was time for supper. Went to a place called Cheese Burger. Yes we had a drink. Brian had mild tiki tenders. I had a Kalua pig sandwich. It is a mouth watering Hawaiian sea salt rubbed Kalua pork on a grilled French roll. Served with island sweet potato fries and fresh crispy pineapple coleslaw. Then back to the hotel were we sat out on the balcony and watch the Hawaiian show. Now after be awake for 20 hours it is off to bed. Yes it was a great day for us.

Thursday Dec 9, 2010 Honolulu

We got up about 7:00 to start our day. Went to Dukes in the Outrigger Waikiki to have breakfast. It was a baffle that cost 14.95 each and we got our money worth’s. After that we started walking to the other part of town that we did not do yesterday. Walked all the way down to the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Then started back the other way. My camera battery went dead so I could not take any pictures. Charged it but some reason we were not getting electric to it. We stopped at the U.S. Army Museum and that was nice to see. Went though some of the shops in the Royal Hawaiian Center. Then back to the hotel to start charging my camera battery. Went back to the International Market place to look some more. Got some t-shirts and other items for gifts. Stopped at the Hagen Dash for ice cream. Back to the hotel to get my camera. FEET HURT. The rest of the afternoon we did more walking further up from the hotel About 6:30 we went to eat supper. Brian wanted to eat at Duke’s so off we went. Prime Rib at its best. I have never seen a piece that big. Stuffed is the feeling after that. Then back to the hotel for the night. Have a big day tomorrow as we are doing a circle island tour.

Friday December 10, 2010 Honolulu

Up at 5:00 AM this morning for our full tour day. The weather was not what you wanted to see. It was raining. Our tour was with Discover Hawaii Tours and was called Circle Island/Pearl Harbor tour. They picked us up at the hotel at 6:35 as we were the last ones on the list. We headed out the USS Arizona Memorial at a snail pace. The traffic here is worse the Seattle could ever come up with. We got there about 7:30. Our time to see the show and go out to the Arizona was 8:45 but because on of the theaters was not working we were able to get into the 9:00 showing. After the show we boarded a boat that took us out the where the ship lays and the memorial. This is something everyone that comes to Hawaii has to see. We then got back on the small bus at 10:15 and off to the Dole Pineapple Plantation. Purchased some t-****s and other things that we could have gone without (yes). Then off to Oahu’s north shore to see the surfers. Waves not that high but still good to see. Got to see some of the movie filming locations. Then stopped off at a golf resort for lunch. There were only the 14 of us and that was nice. Great food and then the weather quite raining. The next stop was Pali Lookout. This was great but for me the camera battery went dead again. Looks like I need a backup. Then did some stops by the ocean that were nice. As we got close to Honolulu he took us by the million dollar homes (5-20). Our last stop was at the Diamond Head Lookout but could not see Honolulu downtown from there. Got back to the hotel at 5:30. Nice trip and our driver Ken was the greatest. He knew his history and was funny also. Made for a great day. Then off for dinner. We ate at the Cheesecake factory. Great food. Now back at the hotel to get ready for the ship at noon tomorrow.

Saturday December 11, 2010 Honolulu

This morning woke up to nice sunny weather. We did all of our packing so we were ready to go. For breakfast we went to Burger King as it was next to the hotel. After eating we did some walking to shops as our ride to the ship was not until 10:30. Got back to the hotel and checked out and no other charges to our bill. Our ride was about 10 minutes late and then we had to wait for 2 other people that we still in there room. Driver was not happy at all. We got to the ship about 11:25 which work out for us. You have to go thought security before you check in. This is where I had to take off my suspenders or the alarm goes off. When I went to put them back on my shorts, yes you are right the shorts went to the floor. There was no need for a pat down and the people got a good laugh. Check in took about 10 minutes. We were able to board at noon. Brian got reservations for a dinner on Monday. We then walked around the ship. At 4:30 we had the muster drill and sat with a couple from OR. We decided to have dinner at 5:30 at the Skyline Restaurant so that we could be on deck for sail away at 7:00. The people that we meet from Or were in front of us and they asked us to join them for dinner. I had chilled Peach soup, tiny shrimp and a steak with French fries. It was dark out when we left and the city lights were great as we left the harbor. At 9:00 we went to Showtime tonight, the comedy of Tim Kaminski. I never laugh so hard. Then back to our room for the night.

Sunday December 12, 2010 Kahului, Maui

Road to Hana.. We toured HANA...In style; then continue our excursion on the magnificent road beyond Hana with Maui's #1 Luxury Tour Company. Valley Isle Excursions took us on one of the most breathtaking drives on earth through Maui's tropical rainforest. 617 curves, 54 one lane bridges to Hana, pineapple fields, spectacular cliffs, bamboo jungles, waterfalls, tropical streams and pools, colorful and fragrant island flowers and rainforest vegetation were all to be enjoyed on our way to "Heavenly Hana".

The tour included pick-up and return to our ship, a very nice picnic lunch served on glass plates with metal silverware and a Hawaiian print tablecloth, and complimentary beverage service throughout the day. We viewed waterfalls, the Keanae Peninsula, "Heavenly Hana" Town, and spectacular sea cliffs. This tour make between 10-12 stops including Wainanapanapa State Park where you can walk around on a black sand beach. The tour also stops for an hour at the Pools of Oheo (also known as the Seven Sacred Pools) where you have the opportunity to swim under a waterfall.. This tour goes all the way around the Haleakala side of the island, including the road beyond Hana where the rental car companies do not allow you to drive. This is very bumpy and if you have any back problems this is not for you This area includes Charles Lindbergh's Gravesite, the majestic gorges near Kaupo, the rugged lava coastline of South Maui, and wine tasting at the Tedeschi Winery. In all the tour is 132 miles long and we started at 8:15 AM and got back to the ship at 5:00 PM. Tom our driver was just great. Would do this again. The thing that made this tour special is their luxurious Comfort Cruisers. These air conditioned vehicles hold 12 people, each with an ultra-comfortable individual reclining chairs. From the elevated view from your Comfort Cruiser you see more than the views from a rental car that sits lower to the ground.

We ate dinner at the Skyline again tonight because you do not have to dress up. I had Chicken alfarado. After dinner we went to the Showtime tonight called Aloha Polynesia. This was good and the dancers were good also. Then off to bed for the night as we spend the night in port.

Monday December 13 ,2010 Kahului, Maui

At breakfest in the Aolha café again. Same things to eat. At 9:30 we took a bus over to Lahaina on the other side of Maui. The bus droped us off at Hilo Hattie’s and from there we walked down front street and went into lots of shops. We had lunch there and then walked some more. Got to see the big Banyan tree. An 8-foot Indian Banyan Tree was planted on the site in April, 1873, to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Christian work on Maui. It now stands almost 70 feet tall and covers just about the entire acre park. In addition to the main tree trunk, there are 12 major trunks branching out with roots going down to the ground. It's beautiful at night -- and at Christmas is filled with multi-colored lights. We were to get the bus back at 3:00 but do to so many people wanting to get on the same bus they had to bring another in. So we did not get on that one till 3:35 and that made some of us mad. That night we ate at Teppanyakes on the ship. That is a Japanese restaurant that they do the food right in front of you. It was $25.00 per person more but the food was out of the world. After dinner we just walked around the ship and then off to bed/

Tuesday December 14, 2010, Hilo on the Big Island.

This was the day Brian was wateing for. We left the ship about 10:30 in the morring and took a cab to the airport. We had book a helicopter flight with Blue-Hawaiian Helicopters. It was called Circle of fire plus waterfalls. The weather was not the best as there was rain. We flew over the ship and then to some waterfalls. Then mostley just land to the volcanoes. We did see some Lava flows but not that many but you did see lots of steam coming from below and some land that was on fire. Then over the coast line were the lava flows into the ocean. It was not as good as I wanted but still a great ride. Then back to the ship. We took a little nap before dinner. We ate again in the Skyline Restaurant at 5:30. We both had prime rib and it was not bad. At 7:00 we went to the Hollywood theater for the magic of Chip Romero. Now this guy was good. Still don’t know how he dose the things he did. At 9:45 we went by the Kilauer Valcano so we could see the lava flows at night. There was lots of red out there but to far away to get a good view. It was a fun day and then off to bed.

Wedensday December 15, 2010. Kona on the Big Island

This is a port that you have to tender into the city. We left the ship about 10:00 and when we got on land we went to find the office of the UFO Parasail. We had booked a time of 3:30 but this was going to make it back to the ship on time very hard. We were able to change the time to 12:30 so that made us feel good. We then walked the town shops till it was time for the parasailing. There were 6 of us on the boat. The other 4 went before us as we were the last. We went up 800 feet for 12 miniuts. It was a blast. I did have a problem sitting while doing this and most of the time I could not see the water below. I was to heavy and was leaning back. Still had fun. After the parasailing we walked more of the town. Then back to the ship about 4:00. We ate again in the Skyline restaurant for supper. It was fish and lobster night. The fish was not bad but the size of the lobster was the smallest I have ever seen. I have had bigger shrimp. Not to my licking. Then off to the 7:00 show in the Hollywood theater. It was called Oh What a Night. It was 4 guys that sang a musical tribute to Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. Songs like Sherry, Big girls don’t cry, Walk like a man and others. These guys were good and I loved the songs. After that we went to improv conedy of SecCity in the Club Mardi Gras room. It was ok. Then back to our room for the night.

Thurdays December 16, 2010 Nawilliwilli, Kaua’i

We got off the ship an took a trolly to the Harbor Mall. We looked at some shops before we check in the Blue Hawaiian office. They than took the 6 of us to the airport. WE flu in a first-class ECO Adventure over the Garden Isle of Kauai in the incredible new American Euro copter ECO-Star. This state-of-the-art marvel gives you 23% more interior room, individual Business Class style seats, two-way communication with your pilot, and expansive glass for outstanding sweeping views of Kauai's incomparable natural beauty.

Kauai Helicopter Tours at their finest. Our journey begins with a flight to spectacular Hanapepe Valley, and then continues on to Mana Waiapuna, commonly referred to as "Jurassic Park Falls." Next it's up the Olokele Canyon before moving on to eye-popping Waimea Canyon, the famed "Grand Canyon of the Pacific." Then, the sculptural masterpiece of the Na Pali Coast gives way to the Bali Hai Cliffs, and the pristine blue waters of Hanalei Bay and the Princeville Resort area. Finally, we visited Wailua Falls and, Mt Waialeale, the heart of the ancient volcano. This is the wettest spot on earth, with an average rainfall of 450-500 inches annually! Flying into the center of the crater with its 5000-foot walls towering above and its 3000-foot waterfalls surrounding you, is a truly awe-inspiring finish to our ECO Adventure over the Garden Isle. This was by far the best thing we did on our whole trip. Then back to the office and more shopping before we walked back to the ship. At 5:00 we borded a bus to go to the Kuau Kalumaku Plantation for a Luau and show. It was something that Brian wanted to do. The show was good and the food not that bad. Yes we ate poi. Then back to the ship and call it a night.

Friday December 17, 2010 Nawillwilli, Kaua’i

This would be our last day on the ship. After breakfast in the Aloha café we just wake the ship to see some of the things we had missed. O yes the basketball court to shot some baskets. Getting to old for this. Next the golf driving net. Brian could not hit that little white ball at all so I had to show him. LOL. I did 3 for 3. Then off to the video game room. They were not working so we saved money. We went to the some of the shops to see what was on sale. Then to the card room were we played two games of checkers. We each won one. We went back to the cabin to pack all of our stuff. We ate lunch at the Cadillac Dinner. Then at 2:00PM we left port. About 1 hour later we ran into lots of wheals jumping. Then we sailed by the Na Pali Coast that gives way to the Bali Hai Cliffs. They sure look big and because we seen them yesterday made it more meaning full. Back to the Skyline Restaurant for supper. We had a table on the aft of the ship with a window. What a view for the last time. I had carved roast beef plus desert. Then off to the Hollywood theater for the last show. They had the comedian Tim Kaminski, Magician Chip Romero and the four guys that did tribute to Frankie Villi and the Four Seasons. What a way to end your trip. Then some last rounds of the ship before going back to the room. Put out our luggage and then just sat out on the baloney for the last time. Off to bed.

Friday December 17, 2010 Honolulu

We were able to disembark the ship at 8:20. Picked up our luggage an waited for our pickup ride to the Hilton Hawaiian Village. We had a day room booked there from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM. When we checked in they upgraded us to on Ocean view suite. We were on the 22nd floor of the Rainbow Towers. What a view we had, even Diamond Head. We did try to swim in the ocean but the bottom was rough. Then to the Lagoon to swim there. Did not like so off to the nice super pool. Then back to our room to change and head out to eat lunch. What better then a Big Mac.? We walked some more before returning to the hotel. We check out of our room at 4:45 and stored our luggage until we got picked up at 8:00 that night. From 5 to 8 we just took in the people and sat watching the beach. Out drive was late picking us up so we did not get to the airport until 9:00. There was a line a mile long to get to the ticket counter. By the time we got all this done and into the main part of the airport all the eating places were closed. Yes we waited to eat at the airport. No dinner for us. Out flight was one hour late so we did not leave until 1:00 in the morning. Yes I slept all the way to San Francisco. We got to Pasco about 12:45 to snow. Picked up the dogs at 3 and they were happy to see me.

I hope this will give you some insight on just all the fun we had. Just being Father and Son was something special this Christmas vacation.

Information on the Pride of America as I seen it. Smaller then the Oasis of the Sea’s but larger then the Tahitian Princess. Ship was nice and clean. Lots of places to eat while on board. Did not eat in the Liberty Dinning room. At most of our dinners in the Skyline Dinning room because we did not have to dress up. At one dinner in the Teppanyaki room and was worth the extra $25.00. At all breakfast in the Aloha Café. This was always packed at 8:00 AM so took our food into the Gold Rush Saloon to eat. Nice and quite there. Also used the Cadillac Dinner. Loved the fudge brownie with ice cream. Food as for me was not that bad. Endearment for me was great. There is not any big production shows as on the big ships but was just what I wanted to see. Did not go to any of the bars or the gym. Also did not swim or use the hot tubs. The staff on the ship was great and very helpful to us. Only one night in the dinning room was the service slow but the rest of the time was great. We had room 10682 of the aft of the ship. Was small but everything got put away ok and had no trouble. Room Stuart keep the room up great. Balcony was almost as big as our room. Would I go again on this ship. Yes and seeing the Islands, this way was a must.

If you want more information on the ship we were on go to. http://www2.ncl.com/cruise-ship/pride_amer/overview

Pictures are posted on this other site but have not put the captions on them yet.

My smugmug pictures of trips I have taken

Thank you for your review! I want to go to Hawaii on a cruise very badly!!!!!! Maybe one day.

Yeah, me too. We cancelled one for my birthday in August before we realized how much they have gone up in the past two years.:(

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Loved your photos. Thank goodness you got the camera battery situation fixed before you cruised. The stern balcony photos are great, just what we need for future cruise planning.

Thank you for posting an indepth review of your cruise. This is very timely for us as we are considering taking a Hawaii cruise in 2012 and we are considering all cruise lines but NCL's looks the best so far.:)

How long was your helicopter tour? Thanks for the review it was helpful!

They took about 50 min of actual flying. You have to get there about 45 min before so they can go over everything. We also got the vidio of our actual trip with some inside shots. Well worth the 25.00. That way you can see some of the other side that the other riders got to see. This is a must for you to have. Would I do this again. YES.

Thanks to the people that have read my review and looked at my pictures.

The Hawaii cruise was the first cruise we ever took, it was the best cruise we ever took, cruising the hawaiin islands was the show, i dont even think there were shows on the ship just crew talent, dont know if it is like that now, we cruised about 4 years ago, when ncl tried three ship in hawaii, their mistake was our gain on cheap cheap cheap prices, prices are five time higher now than what we paid for the balcony room, if anyone is going, have a great time, just amazing to see the volcano at night, and the napoli coast, best vacation we ever took in our lives.

Archived