What is a Dry Bag and Where do I Purchase One?

I'm on an excursion in Tortola to Josh Van Dyke that will require us to swim/wade the last 30 - 50 feet from the catamaran to the shore. Some have mentioned that they had a "dry bag" with them to keep their money/towel dry.

Anyone familiar with such an item? And more importantly...where can I purchase one?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Most outdoor supply stores carry them - ones that sell hiking, camping, backpacking, canoe/kayaking items such as REI.

They are made of various materials - some can be rigid plastic like a bucket with a watertight sealed lid, to very flexible fabric that folds tightly at the ends to keep them totally waterproof. They also come in a wide range of quality which usually relates to a large price variance.

They come in various sizes from small enough for just your ID to big enough for sleeping bags, food, etc. We have quite a few as we like to do extended canoe trips where we are gone for up to 2 weeks and portage through some spots. It is imperative that we have something to keep food, bedding, cameras, etc. dry in.

For a trip like yours or snorkeling trips where you want to keep your basic valuables safe, the best would be a soft side fabric bag (think rubberized) just big enough for your camera, ID, and maybe a towel. When shopping for it, take your camera with you to make sure that it is easy to get it in and out of the bag you choose. When you aren't using it, it should fold up pretty small so it doesn't take up much room. But make sure you get one of a good enough quality that you don't have to worry about the fabric deteriorating. When you are trusting your camera to it, you want to be able to depend on it.

Also, play with putting your camera in and taking it out a few times, including sealing it up. This way you should be able to tell if the method of closure will work for you to have quick and easy access to your camera if you need it. Also, does it have a carry strap on it? The one we have for our camera is a thick soft side with a screw on lid and a carry strap. It is very dependable and hasn't let us down in the 12 years we have had it.

Here are a few links to sites that will give you an idea about what they are like.

http://www.rei.com/category/4501503

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CFPage?mode=article&objectID=30264&storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1

We feel they are a good investment and well worth getting for day trips when cruising. They can make a big difference when adding an expensive camera to a water trip! I hope you can find one that meets your needs. Enjoy! :)

A dry bag is used to keep your dry stuff, dry. Basically a waterproof bag. There are lots of different sizes. You can put things like towels, cameras, etc. in them.

You can see some examples here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/sporting-goods/3414201

Thanks for the quick reply.

Do you think a 25 liter size would be big enough for 2 beach towels, 2 wallets a camera, a bottle of sunscreen and an ipod?

Most outdoor supply stores carry them - ones that sell hiking, camping, backpacking, canoe/kayaking items such as REI.

They are made of various materials - some can be rigid plastic like a bucket with a watertight sealed lid, to very flexible fabric that folds tightly at the ends to keep them totally waterproof. They also come in a wide range of quality which usually relates to a large price variance.

They come in various sizes from small enough for just your ID to big enough for sleeping bags, food, etc. We have quite a few as we like to do extended canoe trips where we are gone for up to 2 weeks and portage through some spots. It is imperative that we have something to keep food, bedding, cameras, etc. dry in.

For a trip like yours or snorkeling trips where you want to keep your basic valuables safe, the best would be a soft side fabric bag (think rubberized) just big enough for your camera, ID, and maybe a towel. When shopping for it, take your camera with you to make sure that it is easy to get it in and out of the bag you choose. When you aren't using it, it should fold up pretty small so it doesn't take up much room. But make sure you get one of a good enough quality that you don't have to worry about the fabric deteriorating. When you are trusting your camera to it, you want to be able to depend on it.

Also, play with putting your camera in and taking it out a few times, including sealing it up. This way you should be able to tell if the method of closure will work for you to have quick and easy access to your camera if you need it. Also, does it have a carry strap on it? The one we have for our camera is a thick soft side with a screw on lid and a carry strap. It is very dependable and hasn't let us down in the 12 years we have had it.

Here are a few links to sites that will give you an idea about what they are like.

http://www.rei.com/category/4501503

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CFPage?mode=article&objectID=30264&storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1

We feel they are a good investment and well worth getting for day trips when cruising. They can make a big difference when adding an expensive camera to a water trip! I hope you can find one that meets your needs. Enjoy! :)

Thank you for such a thorough response.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Do you think a 25 liter size would be big enough for 2 beach towels, 2 wallets a camera, a bottle of sunscreen and an ipod?

Personally I would bring a garbage bag and twist tie for the towels. Who cares if they get a little wet? They probably will anyway. If they do get wet while you are on Jost, how are you going to get them back? You don't want to put wet, sandy towels in a dry back with stuff that needs to be dry.

A bottle of sunscreen isn't going to care if it gets wet.

Why two wallets? I never bring a wallet on an excursion. Just maybe some cash, an id, a credit card, ship card. None of that takes up much space.

For the IPOD and camera, I might consider an Otterbox or two. They make a variety of sizes including small. You do want to be careful with electronics.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dsporting&field-keywords=otterbox&x=0&y=0

Dry bags can be bulky and you do have to pack them in your luggage. You also don't want to load yourself down with stuff unless you are sure you are going to use it.

For swimming/wading 50 feet, I would get 2 or 3 big ziplock bags, and nest them. Put stuff in one, squeeze air out and seal, then put into a second and maybe a third.

First person into water. Holds hands up. Second person hands him bag. 1st person walks/swims awkwardly to shore, but stuff stays dry.

You can get BIG ziplock bags, usually from camping section of Walmart, etc. Like 3, 5 and 10 gallon.

This link shows you pictures of what you can expect to get in various sizes of dry bags. Click on the picture of the 3 different bags for a visual reference. 25 liters should be roomy.

http://www.basspro.com/XPS-Lightweight-Dry-Bags/product/101836/-1385296

First person into water. Holds hands up. Second person hands him bag. 1st person walks/swims awkwardly to shore, but stuff stays dry.

Sounds awesome. :) I bet others will be doing that too. I don't think I'd be spending money on something I might not use on a regular basis (that's my decision).

You might also want to consider a small one that you can put your money and id in. This type has a cord that you can wear it around your neck and keep your valuables with you at all times...even while you are swimming. You can find them on the internet and the gift shops on the ships usually sell them as do most ports.

After losing or almost losing my underwater cameras,on our last cruise the guide showed me a cute trick. He unbuckled the top buckle on my life vest, put the buckle through the camera strap, and than hooked the buckle back. I was embarrassed I did not think of that!

Archived