OK... about teens...

Any tips, thoughts or advice about travelling with teens (mine will be 15 & 17) when we sail in March. Their last experience with RCI was Adventure Ocean - and are now both in the next age group up. This will be new for them and us parents. Please share......

First thing that comes to mind...let them have some freedom, but make sure they can be responsible in their actions and that they communicate there whereabouts.

If they make friends, up to you if you let them hang in another kid's cabin, my DD knows she is not allowed in any cabin but ours or a relatives if cruising with us...neve to another kids cabin. Kids sometimes forget to communicate they are watching tv/movie in another kids cabin (setting aside opposite sex kid visits which are a whole different chat) and then when they get tired or into the show and forget to tell parents where they are...mom and dad go into a panic when they can't find the kids...on occasion it leads to ship wide searches using lots of crew time, sometimes causing the ship to stop etc...all because kids go hang out and fall asleep in another cabin without ever telling mom or dad where they went.

First thing that comes to mind...let them have some freedom, but make sure they can be responsible in their actions and that they communicate there whereabouts.

If they make friends, up to you if you let them hang in another kid's cabin, my DD knows she is not allowed in any cabin but ours or a relatives if cruising with us...neve to another kids cabin. Kids sometimes forget to communicate they are watching tv/movie in another kids cabin (setting aside opposite sex kid visits which are a whole different chat) and then when they get tired or into the show and forget to tell parents where they are...mom and dad go into a panic when they can't find the kids...on occasion it leads to ship wide searches using lots of crew time, sometimes causing the ship to stop etc...all because kids go hang out and fall asleep in another cabin without ever telling mom or dad where they went.

Sounds like you are talking from experience, lol!

To the OP, check out the family board and try doing a search in that area. There have been some questions similar to yours in that forum too.

Hope this helps,

N.

Our kids' rules were (1) do not invite anybody into our cabins; (2) do not go into anybody else's cabin; (3) only eat or drink items you got for yourself; and (4) if you lose your S&S card, notify a staff member immediately, then notify us.

There were probably a few other rules, but I can't think of them right now. Also, there were curfews and rules about keeping in touch with us by knowing where we were and coming to see us at certain points during the day.

None of it really became much of an issue because the kids enjoyed being with us for the most part.

Any tips, thoughts or advice about travelling with teens (mine will be 15 & 17) when we sail in March. Their last experience with RCI was Adventure Ocean - and are now both in the next age group up. This will be new for them and us parents. Please share......

I agree with 'communication'. Only you know your children. They will meet same aged kids at the kids club the first night. Your kids will be in the same age group. There isnt much structured for them, but that age group seems to meet at the club then go off on their own, usually using the club to meet up to plan for the night or sea days.

Post it notes or cabin voice mail works well. Our kids are now 18 and 22 and they know the rules. They have a lot of freedom, but dinner is always family time, no question! We try to have breakfast together as well, but sometimes they sleep in later then we do! lol We allow them freedom to use their seapass for virgin drinks or (for the 22yo cocktails) and to go to Johnny Rockets, but they are respectful of this privlege and always ask anyway. :)

Use your judgement, only you know your kids. :D

Here is a list of 'rules' I have pulled together from reading various posts here on CC. Some actually have their kids sign this, we haven't taken it that far, but do review before each cruise. Take what you can from it, but my 2 main suggestions are set the rules BEFORE sailing and make sure they kids/teens know what they are and the consquences, and have them go to the meet and mingle they have in the teen center the 1st night (this is when most 'friendships' for the week are made).

First of all we want all of us to have fun. This should be a relaxing, enjoyable vacation. We hope that noting our expectations and rules before we depart will avoid any misunderstandings on-board. Note that violation of these rules will result in you being required to stay with us or in your cabin and therefore you will not be able to participate in any of the teen activities. These rules are not in place to say that we do not trust you, but to ensure we can all enjoy our trip.

• You are not to enter any cabins other than ours. It does not matter if it is the cabin of a new friend or someone we know (unless one of us expressly approves this).

• No one else is to enter our cabins.

• If you are in your cabin alone – hang the do not disturb sign on the door. This should prevent any RCCL employee from entering. Please ensure you remove it when you leave the room.

• You are not to drink any beverage unless it is handed to you by a family member or an RCCL staff member. You are not to drink from anything you have let out of your sight. Some people have been known to slip drugs into other people’s drinks. This is a lifelong rule that should be followed in any social situation.

• We expect to know where you are on the ship. We will use notes in our cabin to let each other know where we can be found.

• You are not to loiter or play in the stairwells, hallways, or elevators. Activities such as “knock and run” or calling other cabins to hang up will not be tolerated.

• We will decide on a curfew each night. The ship’s curfew is 1 AM since you are under 18. We have the right to require you to be in the cabin earlier if we feel the need.

• Your Sea Pass is tied to my credit card. It is to be used only by you. You may not buy other people drinks, snacks, arcade games, or souvenirs. You have a budget of $xx. If you exceed this budget without our approval, you will need to reimburse us.

• If you loose your Seapass you are to immediately notify one of us.

• We expect to eat dinner together most nights. There is flexibility if there is an alternate activity you would prefer to attend as long as we have discussed it in advance (at least that morning).

• If there are kids you would prefer to hang out with instead of the teen club, I need to meet them.

• If you order room service, you must tip the delivery person. We will provide a small amount of money for this.

• If we arrange a check-in time and you miss it then you are “grounded” for the next 24 hours. This means that you must stay with us or in your cabin.

• No visits to the outside areas of the upper deck at night alone.

• Put anything of value into the cabin safe. Cell phones are only to be taken out of the safe when we ask you to. Texts and calls are expensive and not in your budget.

• Do not leave the ship without one of us.

WOW! Very good info everyone.

My teens are really quite well mannered and basically good kids, however, I do know that when on a cruise vacations, sometime common sense 'disappears'. It is a different and sometimes intense environment (even adults lose their common sense on cruises). I basically had many of the same ideas posted here in mind to chat with them about, but have gleaned a lot more and very useful info that I will also communicate with them. We are a family that communicates a lot anyways so I think we'll be good.

Thanks for sharing everyone.

I have had my son on 2 cruises...one at about 11 and one at 14. He found really great kids to hang out with and had a great time with the teen groups. He was told not to go in other peoples rooms or allow others in his room. He did end up introducing us to several kids and you see them all over the ship. It is fun to watch them when they dont know you are there!! I was scared but very happy last year to see my 9 yo running around with groups from kids camp. They let them run around and do hunts and stuff. It worked out great.

This year our son will be in the 15 yo group...but from everything I witnessed on our last cruise...Im not too worried! I think he will have a great time.

I do really like the list of rules that you listed!! Thanks. I will make sure and share those with my children!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, i am a teen myself, 16 basically just give your kids some space, yes they will probably hanging out with a lot of kids there is nothing to worry about, just have them always tell you where they are, and you tell them where you will be. I have seen a lot of kids with walkie talkies those probably help. What ship will you be going on?

Also, you can put a limit for spending on your child's seapass card down at guest services. We give our teen a soda card and a $50 budget to spend in the arcade or for whatever, so that they know to budget plus it blocks any unpleasant surprises on your credit card. We learned they hard way several years ago when my husband happened to check our charges and saw that our son had spent $100 over 2 days in the arcade without even realizing it or the consequences. Much better to head off problems.

Also, you can put a limit for spending on your child's seapass card down at guest services. We give our teen a soda card and a $50 budget to spend in the arcade or for whatever, so that they know to budget plus it blocks any unpleasant surprises on your credit card. We learned they hard way several years ago when my husband happened to check our charges and saw that our son had spent $100 over 2 days in the arcade without even realizing it or the consequences. Much better to head off problems.

This is why we check daily what my son is spending (most ships you can do this right on the TV). He has a budget and if he goes over spending is cut off!

Archived