Time to Rhyme! Cruisinetta's building the Rhymedam!

Spinner2

Cruisinetta is aboard the Ryndam, and she's started building her newest creation. She writes, "It's a small ship compared to my latest ones. Tonight is the all nighter for the sides."

If you're new to this activity, model-shipbuilding is an activity often offered on HAL ships. (You sign up early in the cruise, build what you like, and everybody's creations are tested for sea-worthiness in the ship's pool or jacuzzi on the last sea day. Materials must be gathered up on board or perhaps purchased while in port; the rules don't allow the bringing of materials or partially-completed models with you when you come aboard.)

Cruisinetta's an expert at this--most people don't build anything at all like this!--and it's traditional fun here on CC to watch her in action via the photos she sends as she goes. She says the ship is "small" but that's a relative term! Notice that the frame is longer than the glass-topped coffee table it rests on; you can count up how many cartons long it is.

Apparently once she starts on the sides she needs to keep going until that part's done; thus the "all-nighter" she speaks of. We'll probably see the results tomorrow, assuming that she has an internet connection to send me the photos.

rhymedam1.jpg

When Cruisinetta sent me this photo this morning she wrote:

"This is what the sides look like before they go up on the ship."

I enlarged a section of one so you could see the detail. I think this is the first time she's shown us the flat cutout that she makes before it becomes part of the actual model.

Next I'll share the photo she sent of how those flat pieces were put into place and I've enlarged a bunch of sections so you can see all the detail.

First, though, the flat sides:

rhymedam3.jpg

rhymedam3a.jpg

I don't think she eats very often. I've only been privileged to sail with her one time and I only saw her eat an ice cream cone during that entire voyage. However, she writes:

"Got the sides up late morning. Working on the front later today. Having surf and turf delivered to my cabin tonight, so no work tonight."

So, here's the photo and then several details. Are you looking at the photos and wondering what she's using to create these pieces? Remember, she has to find the material on the ship or purchase it while in port. Post your guesses here! Cruisinetta reads when she can, and she'll comment on your ideas.

rhymedam4.jpg

rhymedam4a.jpg

rhymedam4b.jpg

More in the next post . . .

If you participated in guessing how she made the little lifeboats when she built an earlier ship, do you think these were made the same way?

rhymedam4c.jpg

rhymedam4d.jpg

rhymedam4e.jpg

And that item in the background on the last photo--Cruisinetta uses a lot of those for every ship! Do you recognize it?

Thanks Joanie!

FYI for the newcomers; Joanie is the other photo-handler for Cruisinetta; sometimes one of us is on a cruise and can't do it and Joanie will handle Sheepledam because . . . well, it's hard to explain, but Joanie just got such a kick out of the absurdities of that whole discussion!

Here's the next one, and then I'll post some enlargements of interesting sections of this photo. As you can see, this is the aft pool and it's about ready for the chair hogs to come and claim a favorite chair.

As the top part is not yet in place you can tell that the sides are not made out of exceptionally thick paper; they are buckling a bit. Despite Cruisinetta's saying this is a "small" ship, most people will be amazed at its size when she carries it to the Lido pool on sea trials day!

rhymedam6.jpg

OK, I know how Lynn sometimes changes things around a bit to keep even Marney and I both guessing, right along with everyone else. So, I am going to guess that the lifeboats are made out of Cotton Candy from Canaletto:D:D

Anyone else??

How about guessing how many people it will take to get that baby up to the Lido Pool???

I'll start that one with a guess of 4 people. 2 people to carry it, one to guard them as they are carrying it to the pool and one to direct them how to move it:D:D

Joanie

And here are some enlargements, so you can see the details:

rhymedam7a.jpg

I've pulled a close-up of the sides up near the bow so you can see the painstaking detail of the windows:

rhymedam7b.jpg

And this one shows more work in progress; you can see where she's still crafting the details:

rhymedam7c.jpg

This shot shows the side pieces she first showed us, when much more work has been completed:

rhymedam7d.jpg

And finally, for now, this is an "inside the model" shot so you can see how she created the detail at the top of the ship:

rhymedam7e.jpg

There should be more later today!

Comments? Questions?

Archived