Uniworld - Moscow to St Petersburg May 20th, 2011

seabee22

To Seabee22,

Great! Hopefully, I'll get my book soon. I ordered it around the same time as you did.

Sheila

Sheila ;

I have already read completly through the book ... ( while walking on the treadmil ) - and found it very interesting... I am more excited about our trip now that I know a few things, and places - We are truly going to make a list of places -( must see check list ) and mark it off along the way.

The one I received was a 2006 edition, and also gives a web site to go to for other infromation, etc. - www.rivercruisepromotions.com

Seabee22:cool:

Hi seabee22,

That's the website where my check came back "no one here by that name".

Got to Fodors, Frommers and Tripadvisor for the lists of things to see in St. Petersburg and Moscow. They are tops.

Please report back here when you return.

Happy travelling!!!

Sheila

• 2 weeks later...
Sheila ;

I have already read completly through the book ... ( while walking on the treadmil ) - and found it very interesting... I am more excited about our trip now that I know a few things, and places - We are truly going to make a list of places -( must see check list ) and mark it off along the way.

The one I received was a 2006 edition, and also gives a web site to go to for other infromation, etc. - www.rivercruisepromotions.com

Seabee22:cool:

I just went to that website to order the book. I will pay by check and got an email in response to send the check to some place in Ridgway CO not CA! I'll let you know if I get it.

Shelia :

Hope you get the book as it is excellent ... and I am now more excited about the trip than I was before I read it... I also went on the Uniworld.com site and have entered all our data, etc. ( except for the visa's ) and the Itinerary and other information they show also is very interesting.

Sunshine here the last few days ...... Nice !!!

Ron

Hi Seabee22,

My copy arrived today from Barnes and Noble used books! So glad it is small enough to put in my purse as I'll probably read it on the airplane since we aren't going until September. So glad to hear you found it interesting.

To cruzingrama,

Go to barnesandnoble.com or alibris.com, since the website you found is old and should be taken down. My letter and check came back from the website's address.

Sheila

Hi again Seabee22,

Just took a look at the cover of my book and there is a label on it from Uniworld in Encino, CA. The funny thing is that I live one mile from their office and the book was sent to from a used book store on the East Coast via Barnes and Noble Used Books site. Has anyone going on Uniworld asked them if they had any copies left? That would be the easiest way to get it.

Sheila

I second this recommendation! I was the only one on our Viking Russian River trip with this book, and made lots of friends! - people were always asking where we were and wanted to check out the maps/information. It added greatly to our trip with little bits of information/history about the sights we were passing. You will be happy to have it with you!

I also purchased this book. I have to take a magnifying glass to read it I'm getting old and eyes are not what they were years ago.

Janetcbl we will be on Viking this June and if you have any reviews on line or anything you'd like to share please do. I also always include my email if you care to send any info that way.

Hi again Seabee22,

Just took a look at the cover of my book and there is a label on it from Uniworld in Encino, CA. The funny thing is that I live one mile from their office and the book was sent to from a used book store on the East Coast via Barnes and Noble Used Books site. Has anyone going on Uniworld asked them if they had any copies left? That would be the easiest way to get it.

Sheila

Hi again Sheila;

Who know's where this stuff comes from... I tried to order the book via Uniworld web page, but they did not have any available. I received mine from a "Goodwill Store" in San Francisco via Alibis.com.....I have since ordered other books from them as they are selling them at $2 & $3 each...+ shipping.

We ordered several travel items today, from Magellan's web site - off the Uniworld email received (confirming our cruise), and received a 20% discount on everything. Lots of wash & wear stuff, as well as disposable items. Due to weight and # of bags restrictions, we are trying to only take one bag each + a carry on.... Unlike the last Cruise in December where we took three bags each.... But it was for a 11 night S. Cab. Cruise on Celebrity. ( Formal wear, etc. ) We are getting excited as it is getting closer every day.

Ron / Seabee:)

I heartily recommend packing cubes and packing folders to everyone with luggage concerns.

Target sells packing cubes that are quite nice. Magellan has them as does e-bags.com. For the folders, Google "packing folders" I found a company in Texas that has Jansport's version of them at half the price of some of the others. I ordered them and they are every bit as good as the more expensive ones that I got from Magellan.

I can't say enough good things about folders and cubes. I don't even do a weekend without at least a couple of cubes. Right now, two are in a weekend bag for a Yoga retreat this weekend on South Padre Island.

Oh yes! ...and for going home, Target and other discount stores sell travel vacuum bags that expel the air when rolled without the necessity of a vacuum cleaner. These are my preferred laundry bags. Stuff everything into one or two of these bags, roll to expel the air and pack. When you get home, dump the contents in the washing machine.

Now you have all of my valuable packing secrets ;)

Well, I got my Russia by River guide book from the place in CA! Now I need to figure out where to send the check! They e-mailed me they would not send the book til they recieved the check, so I ordered one from Amazon. Now I have this one from CA with no bill or other info? and it doesn't say it is from Amazon. It is a really good book, and if I get a second one I will just send it to the couple we are travelling with.

Now that is strange - to be able to get a book sent to you with no invoice and not having to pay for it in advance.... Glad you got one, as it will become a valuable tool when you are on the Riverboat.

We are in the process of obtaining our Visa's for Russia, and getting all the other things together for the trip, as ours will be here soon... Getting excited more every day... :D

Ron / Seabee22

Yes we are thinking about that VISA thing. Need to get the photos first. we have papers from ZVS and it looks pretty straight forward, but just a little nervous to make sure I don't make any mistakes. Any tips anyone? Since you all are a month ahead of me I will look to you for guidance.

Hey Everyone :

Just received another "Russia by River " book in the mail - plain envelope - just a return address of Russia by River, Los Angles, CA 90067 - no invoice and no other information ... I had already received one I ordered from Aibilis.com --- so now I have two ?????

Also, we went on magellans.com and ordered some really cool stuff for the trip.... most of it is hand washable, and even some "throw- away's" thingys.....

Getting excited more everyday .

Seabee & Shipmate

Hey Everyone :

Just received another "Russia by River " book in the mail - plain envelope - just a return address of Russia by River, Los Angles, CA 90067 - no invoice and no other information ... I had already received one I ordered from Aibilis.com --- so now I have two ?????

Also, we went on magellans.com and ordered some really cool stuff for the trip.... most of it is hand washable, and even some "throw- away's" thingys.....

Getting excited more everyday .

Seabee & Shipmate

I'd be happy to relieve you of one of the two books. You may email me at: kelliepoodle@yahoo.com.

Hello :

This is Shipmate - ( Seabee22' s wife) - and I am new to CC - but I see the enjoyment my hubby gets on the four "Roll Calls" he is presently on, so I decided to join in. WE are truly excited about our Russia Riverboat Cruise - and hope that we can meet some fellow CC people on our trip.

I guess I waited too long. There were no deals on used copies of the book but I went to this site: http://www.russiabyriver.com/ and found it there along with a reasonably priced phrase book for the Moscow to St. Petersburg cruise.

My books should be here in a few days. Next week we get our passport photos and start filling out the visa forms. We also have to make final payment.

Can't believe that we'll be going to Russia in a bit over 3 months!!!

• 3 weeks later...
We traveled to Russia with Vantage in 2007. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU GO TO WWW.RUSSIABYRIVER.COM AND BUY THE BOOK “RUSSIA BY RIVER”. We received the book as part of our tour. It normally costs about $18. It gives a description of every thing you see as you glide along the canals, rivers, and lakes. It’s pocket size and includes maps, pictures, and info about each town visited. We loved it and other passengers we traveled with often expressed the wish that they had known about the book. Have a wonderful trip. It was one of the most memorable trips we've ever been on and loved every minute!

Resurrecting this thread.

I ordered two books from them on March 11. They never came. I tried emailing twice and didn't get a response. Today I filed a resolution request with PayPal and got another email address, so I used that one.

Has anyone else had a non-delivery and non-communication from this web site?

I ask because I'm hoping it's just me and I'll get my books. I'd rather have the books than the refund from PayPal.

Kellie;

The same web site that is in your posting is where I first ordered my book.... and when it did not come for a long time, I went to a on-line book store called Alibis and ordered another --- ( that is how I ended up with two )........ It took so long to get the one from RussiabyRiver.com site that I had given up. I actually received the book from them eventually and is the one I gave to my friend who is going after us.

If you do not receive your order in a few weeks, I know you can get one on line at some of the bargain book stores. When are you going on your trip? We get back from Russia in early June, as we depart May 19.... and if you are going after June 5th or so, I will send you the one we have - and are taking with us.

Seabee22:D

Hi Seabee22,

Going on the same cruise on June 25th. Please don't forget to post a review of the ship and cruise when you return!

Hi :

We are very excited about this Russia BY River Riverboat Cruise .... and my wife is starting to pack already ... We purchased some travel wear from Magellan's on the Uniworld wed site.... Great stuff... We will write a review and also post some pictures - when we return in early June.

Seabee22 & Shipmate :D:)

Kellie;

The same web site that is in your posting is where I first ordered my book.... and when it did not come for a long time, I went to a on-line book store called Alibis and ordered another --- ( that is how I ended up with two )........ It took so long to get the one from RussiabyRiver.com site that I had given up. I actually received the book from them eventually and is the one I gave to my friend who is going after us.

If you do not receive your order in a few weeks, I know you can get one on line at some of the bargain book stores. When are you going on your trip? We get back from Russia in early June, as we depart May 19.... and if you are going after June 5th or so, I will send you the one we have - and are taking with us.

Seabee22:D

We leave home on June 22. Cruise starts June 23. I'd be happy to pay you.

email is legit.

Kellie :

If you do not get yours before then .... you can send me your address by email ( not on CC ) to seabeepope@yahoo.com - and I will mail you our copy when we return.

Seabbee22:D

Thank you. That is very gracious of you, Seabbee22.

I am looking forward to a report about your trip, too. Did you send for your visa yet?

I heard from the Russia By River People yesterday using the email address PayPal had provided. They offered a refund but I asked for the books. Their excuse was "database problems" and they didn't know that I had ordered and paid for the books. :confused:

Got an email back today from Russia by River and they have (said) they have shipped the books. They told PayPal that they have shipped the books.

I'm not closing my PayPal resolution number until the books have arrived and I have posted that in the resolution thing.

Keep your fingers crossed for me that I get them. If I do, I'll pass them along after my cruise.

Archived