Uniworld - Moscow to St Petersburg May 20th, 2011

seabee22

When we were in Moscow last year, we had problems trying to spend money. No one had change. We tried to buy lunch at a place on the Arbat, and they would not give us change. We left our trays and walked out. We were buying something for (I think) 150 Rubles & I gave them 160. They could not find change. Finally they go some next door. So hoard your small bills.

I would definitely have preferred the Ritz to the Riverboat. And to avoid the Moscow traffic. That would definitely have been a plus!

On our cruise - we also felt rushed and had no free time (on Amadeus). I would have preferred a land trip and spent time more leisurely at the museums and sites.

I had no problems paying for items in rubles. I used up the last rubles for tips. There were some situations when we needed rubles such as fees for taking photos in churches, etc...

I did not use my Russia by River book - I wish I had not bought it. I didn't find it easy to follow.

Thanks for your report. I'm taking this trip on July 19th. Could you tell us more about the meals? Did you use the laundry service? If so, how were the prices? What kind of entertainment was there on the boat itself?

Sojac

Thanks for your report. I'm taking this trip on July 19th. Could you tell us more about the meals? Did you use the laundry service? If so, how were the prices? What kind of entertainment was there on the boat itself?

Sojac

Hi :

Good Luck, and I hope you have a better trip than we did. The first cruise is always the worst ... as many of the Crew did not know what was going on. The confusion, and their lack of English was tremendous.... The meals were buffet Breakfast - same thing almost each day ( scrambled eggs - almost raw bacon, some small wieners, potatoes, sometimes French toast - sometimes pancakes ) lunches were also buffet - mainly sandwiches, but sometimes hot foods, lots of vegetables and salads ( which made my wife ill ) possible Ecoli ??? - as she does not eat meat - The dinners were better and had a choice of items each night - ( "fried cheese" was one entry one night) - fish, meats in gravy, and one night was steaks... (Captains Dinner Night). -OK to poor - service, but again the crew was new !!! We did not use the laundry...hear that it was expensive.. We had purchased Maggiians (on line) was n' wear items and hand wash a few items - brought the rest back home to clean. The guys that took pictures on the tours (2) did a "little entertainment" in the Sun Deck lounge in the evening... nothing else. I would say the average age on board of 176 passengers was either late 60s- and mid 70s..... My wife was the youngest person (passenger) on the boat. Everyone tried very hard to do their best - it simply was not enough to suit us ... very small cabins...

We will stick to Cruise Ships from now on....

Seabee:(

Hi :

Good Luck, and I hope you have a better trip than we did. The first cruise is always the worst ... as many of the Crew did not know what was going on. The confusion, and their lack of English was tremendous.... The meals were buffet Breakfast - same thing almost each day ( scrambled eggs - almost raw bacon, some small wieners, potatoes, sometimes French toast - sometimes pancakes ) lunches were also buffet - mainly sandwiches, but sometimes hot foods, lots of vegetables and salads ( which made my wife ill ) possible Ecoli ??? - as she does not eat meat - The dinners were better and had a choice of items each night - ( "fried cheese" was one entry one night) - fish, meats in gravy, and one night was steaks... (Captains Dinner Night). -OK to poor - service, but again the crew was new !!! We did not use the laundry...hear that it was expensive.. We had purchased Maggiians (on line) was n' wear items and hand wash a few items - brought the rest back home to clean. The guys that took pictures on the tours (2) did a "little entertainment" in the Sun Deck lounge in the evening... nothing else. I would say the average age on board of 176 passengers was either late 60s- and mid 70s..... My wife was the youngest person (passenger) on the boat. Everyone tried very hard to do their best - it simply was not enough to suit us ... very small cabins...

We will stick to Cruise Ships from now on....

Seabee:(

Sea how old or young is the wife??

Sea how old or young is the wife??

My young bride (of 30 years_ is 53 ... and I fit right in as I am 71.... and still felt younger than most of the other passengers...

Hard for some to get on and off the tour buses.... and there were many many steps on most tours.:(

Hi seabee22,

I just found your post about the sightseeing and I am truly sorry your cruise was so disappointing. I know how excited you were to go to Russia.

Sheila

Sheila :

So when are you going to Russia ? - I need a favor from someone going soon, as I bought a Red Fake Fur Russia ( square ) hat for my Grandson from a Vendor in Moscow. How would I know my 33 year old Son would want one as well - and asked why I did not bring him one? Could you do me a large favor and purchase another for me ?? ( it was around $ 17.00 I think ) I will gladly repay you, and also what ever postage you may have from your home to me when you return. Please let me know here - or email me at seabeepope@yahoo.com -

Actually all the sights and tours were great - it just seemed so rushed ... compared to our Trafalgar Tours in China last October... The guides in Russia were good, however the time was limited in each spot, so we were very rushed. Now that we are home and reviewing pictures, etc... It truly was a wonderful experience - even with the " start up " problems of Uniworld and The Riverboat Victoria.

Thanks for your consideration..... Seabee / Ron Pope - Plano, Texas.:)

Hi Seabee22,

I would be happy to purchase the hat for you while we are in Moscow in September. I'll email you before hand and maybe you can send me a photo of the hat so I get the right one.

Sheila

Hi Seabee22,

I would be happy to purchase the hat for you while we are in Moscow in September. I'll email you before hand and maybe you can send me a photo of the hat so I get the right one.

Sheila

Hi again :

I would greatly appreciate you getting the Russian Red Square Hat for me as they are all over the place in all Vendors stalls, and most shops as well. I sent the one I bought to my Grandson ( in WI ) and now my grown Son wants one ???? - So, when you go - please put it on your shopping list. I will repay you and any postage to send to me when you get home.

They are a fake fur - and come in lots of colors .... I think they are considered a military style hat? - send me your email address at seabeepope@yahoo.com and I will email you a picture I have of my grandson with his on...

Which boat are you going on ? - as I said the Uniworld Victoria was an older boat ( as they all are owned by the Russia Company, and leased to the tour companies ) totally redone inside. However not as nice as the Viking boats we saw ( and walked through ) while docked.

Seabee / Ron Pope - Plano, Texas:)

Hi again :

I would greatly appreciate you getting the Russian Red Square Hat for me as they are all over the place in all Vendors stalls, and most shops as well. I sent the one I bought to my Grandson ( in WI ) and now my grown Son wants one ???? - So, when you go - please put it on your shopping list. I will repay you and any postage to send to me when you get home.

They are a fake fur - and come in lots of colors .... I think they are considered a military style hat? - send me your email address at seabeepope@yahoo.com and I will email you a picture I have of my grandson with his on...

Which boat are you going on ? - as I said the Uniworld Victoria was an older boat ( as they all are owned by the Russia Company, and leased to the tour companies ) totally redone inside. However not as nice as the Viking boats we saw ( and walked through ) while docked.

Seabee / Ron Pope - Plano, Texas:)

Hi Seabee/Ron.

Another Texan from The Lower Rio Grande Valley (Harlingen) here. We think of Plano as being "upstate" ;)

I am leaving on June 22. Our cruise starts in Moscow on June 23. Can you email me a photo of the hat? kelliepoodle@yahoo.com I'll try to get it for you. It's not heavy, is it? damnable weight restrictions on luggage and all that.:(

I will be on AmaKatarina a/k/a Rostopovich. This is also a leased boat, however it has just been completely rebuilt from the "steel hull up" and my TA told me that the son of the president of AMA Waterways was aboard for the initial sailing to make sure things were up to company standards. Since the Viking boats are also leased, I'm hoping that AMA did a better job with their leased boat.

Our cabin has a real little balcony with a table and chairs and the cabin is 238 sq, ft! The photos I've seen of the ship are beautiful and I'm very excited to sail.

So far no one has posted on Cruise Critic about prior sailings so I have to believe there were no problems. Most people don't bother to post if they are happy.

I will post as soon as I can, either from the ship or when I get home. I'll take photos, too.

BTW, we sailed on Uniworld's River Princess in 2008 (before refitting) and it wasn't much to look at either. We walked through Viking, Avalon and European boats that were much prettier, but our cruise was awesome. The staff was well-trained and accommodating and the food was "to die for" The guides were excellent our cruise director was superb, the excursions were delightful and everything except the weather, which was too cold for my South Texas blood, was close to perfect. Our cabin was comfortable and clean, though a little tight, but the physical nature of the ship did not interfere with our enjoyment. It hooked us on river cruising.

I'll wait or your email.

Hi Seabee/Ron.

Another Texan from The Lower Rio Grande Valley (Harlingen) here. We think of Plano as being "upstate" ;)

I am leaving on June 22. Our cruise starts in Moscow on June 23. Can you email me a photo of the hat? kelliepoodle@yahoo.com I'll try to get it for you. It's not heavy, is it? damnable weight restrictions on luggage and all that.:(

I will be on AmaKatarina a/k/a Rostopovich. This is also a leased boat, however it has just been completely rebuilt from the "steel hull up" and my TA told me that the son of the president of AMA Waterways was aboard for the initial sailing to make sure things were up to company standards. Since the Viking boats are also leased, I'm hoping that AMA did a better job with their leased boat.

Our cabin has a real little balcony with a table and chairs and the cabin is 238 sq, ft! The photos I've seen of the ship are beautiful and I'm very excited to sail.

So far no one has posted on Cruise Critic about prior sailings so I have to believe there were no problems. Most people don't bother to post if they are happy.

I will post as soon as I can, either from the ship or when I get home. I'll take photos, too.

BTW, we sailed on Uniworld's River Princess in 2008 (before refitting) and it wasn't much to look at either. We walked through Viking, Avalon and European boats that were much prettier, but our cruise was awesome. The staff was well-trained and accommodating and the food was "to die for" The guides were excellent our cruise director was superb, the excursions were delightful and everything except the weather, which was too cold for my South Texas blood, was close to perfect. Our cabin was comfortable and clean, though a little tight, but the physical nature of the ship did not interfere with our enjoyment. It hooked us on river cruising.

I'll wait or your email.

"Kellie Poodle" - Thanks for the offer ... and I would really appreciate it if you could do this for me , (as Sheila isn't going until September) ... I will email you right away a picture of my Grandson wearing his hat. Who would know a 33 year old would want a stupid Red Hat from Russia ??? - But I need to try, as some hurt feelings are involved. We truly wish for you and yours a wonderful trip and great adventure. We did love what we saw - and the History is marvelous. We are still being blown away by the pictures we took and are now trying to decide which ones we should print for a scrapbook - (as we took over 1, 000 pictures) Seabee / Ron - Plano.:)

Hi Seabee22,

Sheila

Hi again Sheila :

"Kellie Poodle" did offer to pick up a hat for me since she is going next month - I have asked her to do it for me. Thank you for your offer, but since some hurt feelings are involved, I truly need it sooner than later to mend things.

Ron :D:D

Don't worry! Kellie (Janet) and I communicate on the internet and I have your email address now. If she can't get it, I will. We'll "talk" after she returns.

Sheila

I'm gonna try my best.

Leaving a week from tomorrow. Still haven't put anything in a suitcase.

Hi Kellie Poodle,

Want to wish you Bon Voyage and all the best of experiences on the new Katarina. I really believe your review will be the very first. I have googled the name of the ship and there wasn't any press coverage or reviews on ANY site except for that Russian newspaper article which, of course, I couldn't read.

We'll all be with you in spirit.

My DH just bought me an iPad and I'm taking lessons at Apple. I'll be interested to know if it will work on the ship. I'm taking it to Europe July 8th for our trip with our granddaughter. I know you have a netbook (which I really wanted).

Sheila

Hi Kellie Poodle,

Want to wish you Bon Voyage and all the best of experiences on the new Katarina. I really believe your review will be the very first. I have googled the name of the ship and there wasn't any press coverage or reviews on ANY site except for that Russian newspaper article which, of course, I couldn't read.

We'll all be with you in spirit.

My DH just bought me an iPad and I'm taking lessons at Apple. I'll be interested to know if it will work on the ship. I'm taking it to Europe July 8th for our trip with our granddaughter. I know you have a netbook (which I really wanted).

Sheila

Thanks, Sheila.

I might try to put that article into Babelfish.

I actually did some packing activity today. Nothing in suitcases, but piles of stuff are clean pressed and ready to be cross-packed. Folders and cubes are out.

I will be keeping a travel journal on my netbook. If I have decent internet access, I'll post here.

I have to believe that if no one has posted anything bad about the boat and the cruise, that all is well. Most people don't bother to post a comment if they are happy with the cruise.

I do know that the son of the president of Ama Waterways was on the first cruise to make sure everything was up to standards.

I promise to take photos of the ship including our cabin, the balcony and the gym.

I can't hardly believe that we leave a week from tomorrow! Color me anxious! Oh well the flight gear (a/k/a valium) is packed.

Janet...have a wonderful trip....it has been nice chatting with you over the past couple of months. I can't wait to hear how you enjoyed your river cruise. Are you going to post your write-up under this thread or start a new one as I will be looking. Can't wait to hear and have a safe and wonderful trip.

Corinne

Janet...have a wonderful trip....it has been nice chatting with you over the past couple of months. I can't wait to hear how you enjoyed your river cruise. Are you going to post your write-up under this thread or start a new one as I will be looking. Can't wait to hear and have a safe and wonderful trip.

Corinne

I will start a new thread and do a review on the review board, too.

Nice chatting with everyone here. I still have a week to go before we leave.

K Poodle,

**CruisinGrandma and I are on Uniworld right now ? Hit me up with any questions you may have for us and we will do our best to help out. Same trip as you but with Uniworld. We are in day 5. * What a wonderfull trip so far, *you will love it. Using wifi on the ship right now painfully slow and drops you but that's satalight and better than nothing. Yours ship was not in while we were in Moscow but I did ask around and all said your is more upscale than ours. Ours is very nice from service, *food and ship. I am in delux room so I do have more space. Mark

K Poodle,

**CruisinGrandma and I are on Uniworld right now ? Hit me up with any questions you may have for us and we will do our best to help out. Same trip as you but with Uniworld. We are in day 5. * What a wonderfull trip so far, *you will love it. Using wifi on the ship right now painfully slow and drops you but that's satalight and better than nothing. Yours ship was not in while we were in Moscow but I did ask around and all said your is more upscale than ours. Ours is very nice from service, *food and ship. I am in delux room so I do have more space. Mark

Thanks for the post, Mark. Can you tell me a little about the weather?

Archived