Busy day tomorrow, 5 Jan. 2011.

trevgbb

5 ships in Southampton, QE, QV, Arcadia, Balmoral and BlackWatch, over 8000 passengers to embark, is this a record?

Hope everything goes smoothly and no one gets on the wrong one!!

Can someone let us know how it went?

Six ships leaving will be very impressive, and I also wonder if that is a record.

It would be good to stand at the end of Hythe Pier and watch the procession, pity it gets dark so early, still the lights on each ship will be superb I'm sure as they pass, I'm annoyed I shall miss it!

The greatest number I've witnessd leaving on one evening was five... Queen Elizabeth 2, Queen Mary 2, Oceana, Saga Rose & Saga Ruby.

To everyone on board, and to those simply waving, I hope the weather is fine and the occasion truly memorable!

You missed one. Also Saga Ruby. Six altogether. I'm not sure which berth 104 is?

In the late 1970s I arrived or sailed from berth 104 (beside what is now the Mayflower Cruise Terminal - berths 105/106) three times on the Union-Castle Line. It was a very basic shed, and although there was supposedly a waiting room I never saw it. We just went directly to or from the boat train. In those days check-in was simple. A customs officer looked at your passport and asked you how much cash you were taking out of the country, then at the next table someone took your ticket - and that was it; you went aboard. There was no security check, credit card imprint or boarding card issued. I recall a lot of Outspan orange crates around. To my knowledge, this pier has not been used regularly for passenger ships since then. From what I see on the Google and Bing aerial views, it has been substantially rebuilt since then.

We will be joining Queen Elizabeth in LA, going to Sydney, but would like to see her and QV sailing off from Southampton today. Anyone know the best place to watch the sailaway? And, what time will it happen?

We will be joining Queen Elizabeth in LA, going to Sydney, but would like to see her and QV sailing off from Southampton today. Anyone know the best place to watch the sailaway? And, what time will it happen?

Hi

The end of Hythe Pier

http://www.hytheferry.com/

is my favourite spot, you get to it from Southampton via the Hythe Ferry (or use the pier railway from Hythe itself).

Usual sailing times are from 1630 onwards, get there early for a good spot, the ABP (Southampton) website

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/cruise_ship.asp

gives approx departure times.

I note that QE should leave first at 1700 and Balmoral & Black Watch last at 2000 (which may be after the pier has closed!)

I hope you have a great time today and Bon Voyage for your crossing of the Pacific on Queen Elizabeth.

I hadn't realised they are both doing a TA to NY and are meeting QM there, how far apart will they be? will you be able to see one from the other? if so, what a sight.

Yes, when ships cross in tandem they sail within sight of each other - usually changing sides each day so all cabins get a view of the other ship - its a fun trip, because you so rarely see other ships on a Trans Atlantic.

Archived