Scuba certification on board?

Has anyone done the PADI Scuba Diver Certification Course while on board any of the ships? We are on Explorer in May and did not think there would be a pol deep enough on board to do the preliminary work before getting in the water in St Marteen.

I was certified in 1974

I watched parts of the PADI certification class on FOS in May of this year

To my knowlededge the PADI class does not have a depth recommendation/requirement. So long as the head is below water they meet the minimum requirements.

The class met that requirement b4 heading off the ship for further training . .

Has anyone done the PADI Scuba Diver Certification Course while on board any of the ships? We are on Explorer in May and did not think there would be a pol deep enough on board to do the preliminary work before getting in the water in St Marteen.

My friend and I are doing this on the Navigator in February (Cozumel). I'll come back and let you know how it went.

If you have enough time and the facilities in your area, check with your local parks and rec dept. DH & DS went throught P&R a few years ago at a fraction of the cost for private company training:eek: Was done over a few weeks and is different then the resort diving certification that you receive on a cruise;)

My son and I got our Open Water cert on Liberty a few years ago. Most ships offer PADI Scuba Diver Certification that requires you to dive with an instructor. On our cruise there was an option to continue on to an Open Water cert.

There will be a lot to read, early morning pool dives and tests that you will need to study for. This takes a lot of time away from other things on your cruise. In my case it was all time spent with my son so that was actually a plus for me. My son arranged to get us the PADI book before we left for the cruise so we had the opportinity to read and take the self tests ahead of time. This worked really well for us.

I do agree that if you can, get certified locally before the cruise.

Steve

I would recommend doing the pool/classroom work before you go. Then all you have to do on your vacation is the certification dive(s). It would save you from spending valuable cruise time taking dive classes. Check with your local dive shops.

I did the class on board Navigator back in 2006 and I loved it!! I had been on the cruise we were on before, so the early morning classes and lots of reading was fine by me. I did the continuation to the open water diver and I say it was worth it. The pools are deep enough to do the classes, since there aren't regulations on pool depth, and I liked it, because if you were un-sure about something you could just stand right up and be fine. It was a little more comforting, knowing this and I could get used to breathing underwater in a shallow pool.

I did the class on board Navigator back in 2006 and I loved it!! I had been on the cruise we were on before, so the early morning classes and lots of reading was fine by me. I did the continuation to the open water diver and I say it was worth it. The pools are deep enough to do the classes, since there aren't regulations on pool depth, and I liked it, because if you were un-sure about something you could just stand right up and be fine. It was a little more comforting, knowing this and I could get used to breathing underwater in a shallow pool.

Good to hear! Personally, I find sea days boring as all heck so spending a few hours keeping busy with classes is fine by me. I'm going to get most of the reading done ahead of time, so I'll be prepared.

I took the Padi certification a few years ago in my home town, it was 6 weeks of 3 hours + 2 open water dives to become certified. I don't know if you would want to put this type of time in during your vacation, unless the "on ship" course is abreviated. I go diving on every cruise with someone who is not certified so we go on a "Discover Scuba Diving" shore excursion with RCI. This is a great way to see if you like scuba diving before investing alot of time and money into becoming certified. St. Thomas has a great dive site for the beginner. I highly recommend giving it a try at one of your ports if it is offered.

i would recommend doing the pool/classroom work before you go. Then all you have to do on your vacation is the certification dive(s). It would save you from spending valuable cruise time taking dive classes. Check with your local dive shops.

+1 sb

Archived