Alaska - Evening Dressing in a Colder Climate?

Wannaknow

I have never been to Alaska but from what I heard the weather in summer can be foggy, damp and cold. However, I wish you sunshine on your voyage and have a great time.

I have been on numerous Alaska cruises and Alaska has warm summer weather, too....not always, you can't count on it, that's a fact, but we have been there when it was short shorts weather. And I mean HOT.

It can also be drizzly and chilly.

Just bring a variety of outfits...and don't forget your swimsuit. :)

Been to Alaska three times: 1984, 2004 & 2006. Will be going again this year in August round trip out of SF. The cruise in 2004 was one of the hottest

summers in decades...91 degrees F in Skagway and even hotter in the Yukon.

My suggestion is to check the weather in the ports you're going to visit. Try weatherUnderground, or WeatherBug if you use Firefox.You will get at least a weeks forecast. Based on the weather projections, we will pack accordingly.

If you have ponchos, do pack them. We always do. Unless it's an unusual season, it will rain.

As far as dress on board, the previous posters have covered it.

Hope this helps.

We also were there in 2004 and it was really HOT..

We to are going in August but on the 14th YVR to SFO..all I can say is layer!!!!

Jancruz1

I, most sincerely, thank you all for this great information, but what I was really asking is for dinner in the evening on an Oceania Alaskan cruise, do people dress in "cold weather" clothing even though it is the height of summer everywhere else?

I can't see myself in "summer" clothes (especially at night) in Alaska. On the other hand, I don't want to be the only one in a turtleneck sweater when everyone else is wearing floaty white linen.

I will ultimately do what makes me most comfortable, but I'd like to get an idea which way to slant it.

I, most sincerely, thank you all for this great information, but what I was really asking is for dinner in the evening on an Oceania Alaskan cruise, do people dress in "cold weather" clothing even though it is the height of summer everywhere else?

I can't see myself in "summer" clothes (especially at night) in Alaska. On the other hand, I don't want to be the only one in a turtleneck sweater when everyone else is wearing floaty white linen.

I do not know about the Alaska cruise crowd on O but for our Norway cruise did not see turtlenecks in the GDR .

They did have the heat on Inside the ship so was more than comfortable with short sleeves or a light sweater

Summer Climate Guide to Southeast Alaska:

http://pajk.arh.noaa.gov/info/brochures/summer.pdf

The guide includes a map with information regarding weather in addition to tables.

August 15, 2004 Sitka reached a temperature of 89°. :)

I am among those who hopes that the dining room heat will not be turned up to accommodate those who want to dress in short sleeves, and that people will dress in layers, because hot dining rooms cause me to feel nauseated.

August 15, 2004 Sitka reached a temperature of 89°. :)

I am among those who hopes that the dining room heat will not be turned up to accommodate those who want to dress in short sleeves, and that people will dress in layers, because hot dining rooms cause me to feel nauseated.

I doubt very much if the outside temps are 89F they will have the heat on inside the ship :rolleyes:

some people seem to equate Alaska to cold temps even in summer

I was comparing our Norway cruise with temps from 90F to below 0 F (outside temps of course)

The ships inside temperatures are usually quite comfortable for most people.

Lyn beat me to it. I didn't see anyone dressing for winter just because we were close to the Arctic ice cap! And it was quite nippy outside, yes, but fine inside.

Several years ago I used to see regular complaints about how cool the GDR was, although it never bothered me. I haven't seen those complaints (at least not the volume of complaints we used to see) more recently.

I can't say I ever felt "hot" in any of the restaurants, no matter where we were cruising.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Even though I can't get away from my ironlock mindset that it will be freezing in Alaska in summer, I am resolutely laying aside the turtlenecks & looking to lighter weight dressier sweaters & long pants for evening. Dare I bring white pants????

Archived