Any other Zumba fans?

Anita Latte

OMG Kasi...was the pool heated? And/or indoor? Isn't it COLD in Germany right now? LOL. I have to go see...It IS cold!

Excellent work...did you know that you burn more calories during exercise in cold weather than you would burn doing the same exercise in warm weather? Your body has to work extra hard to maintain its prefered temperature...think about this in terms of body processes...this is increased metabolic activity right there by just being in cold weather...so that walk to the pool probably burned more calories than you might originally think...

And I think 1000m sounds like a LOT...that's about 2/3 of mile...that's HUGE...swimming is an excellent all body sport...easy on the joints...and again...because pool water is cooler than body temperature...your body burns a lot of calories just to maintain temperature...swimming wipes me out...so I am totally impressed!

It is such a bummer to have to deal with Zumba class schedules...but it sounds like you have a plan! Stick with it!

I'm so glad that my posts are motivating! It's the whole reason I keep posting!

Donna...Isn't that odd about the eating pattern? Before reading that...I never quite put together the real consequence of the save the best for last eating...It's a surprisingly hard habit to break...

That is such a bummer about your Zumba classes being suspended for 3 weeks! :( I hope the gym work outs go well...if you don't love it...just think about how you only have to get through it for 3 weeks...and then you will be so excited to get back to doing physical activity that you DO enjoy...it will seem like a reward...

When you are in the gym...if you get on a cardio machine...you can recreate that metabolic chaos by mixing up the intensity of your workout...if you do a treadmill...change up the pace and the incline...I can't remember what the adjustment is called on the eliptical...but do the same thing...and don't worry about a pattern...you want it to be irregular...

I'm glad your weigh in had a negative number! I'm one of those people that generally gain weight first when they start to exercise...don't be discouraged...your body is just adjusting...just keep it headed down the road that ultimately leads to a smaller body...

Speaking of food...

You know the really great thing about crock pots? Or slow cookers? You can cook the entire meal in one...and the kitchen doesn't even need to be CLEAN! :D If I had just emptied the dishwasher yesterday...then yesterday's lunch and dinner dishes could have gone straight into the dishwasher instead of being stacked on the counter...so it's not THAT bad...but still...

If you like lamb...this is a great recipe. I highly recommend it...and it IS more economical because it uses the shoulder chop...I was able to pick up some manager's specials on top of a sale today at Target...so this is what our dinner is going to be...with a side salad...and maybe some cauliflower, because it needs to get eaten...

For those of you who think you don't like lamb...I wonder when you had it last? Because it is a very good meat...lamb is not marbled with saturated fat...approximately 36% of the fat in lamb is saturated...the rest is mono- or poly-unsaturated...lamb is an excellent source of ZINC...which not only boosts the immune system but also helps to stablize blood sugar and encourages growth and healing. Lamb is a younger meat than most cows, so it generally contains fewer pesticides.

I decided to give lamb a try when we were following the Fat Flush Plan. One great thing I can say about that plan is that we tried many new foods while on it.

The first thing we tried were loin chops...which are very meaty...with little fat in what you are buying...they are expensive...so try to catch them on sale. This is the recipe that I used...and it is FANTASTIC. It has become THE way that I make lamb loin chops.

I thought that Curtis Stone had excellent words to say during last night's Biggest Loser...he was talking about people and their relationship with food. Specifically, he talked about contestants that come to the ranch. He expressed the desire that the contestants not view their time on the ranch as a time to be on an extreme diet...but rather to see the time as a time of learning...it isn't a big punishment to put on yourself when you try to correct poor eating habits...it's a time to experiment with new food...new cooking techniques...and discover new habits.

We all need to get this in our brain...we are not in a time of punishment because our lifestyle has resulted in an overweight, unfit body...we are in a time of learning and transition...needing to create new and better habits...so that we can live a lifestyle that results in healthy, fit bodies...

I wrote down what Rulon said too...Rulon is the 2000 Olympic Gold Medal Winner...and I quote, "A champion doesn't make an excuse of why they can't do something."

Just keep at it...if one thing doesn't work...try something else...

What we are all attempting to do is very hard...if it wasn't...everyone would be fit and healthy...when we figure it all out...when we find that activity that we enjoy...when we find a way to stay physically active...to eat healthy (in an overall sense of the word...)...when life is in BALANCE...then we will all be champions...we will all be OVERCOMERS...because this whole business about diet and exercise...it's about finding a way to overcome current habits, without ever reverting back to them...

Time to get ready for class!

Great workout tonight...I was so happy to be back in Kelly's class! :cool:

We had a new song tonight...something from India...totally not recognizable, but very fun...I need to ask about the name of it...

Say It In a Love Song (warm up)

***New Song***

Bon Bon

***Zumba Song for Cha Cha***

Loca

Ven A Cumbia

Chiquilla

Cha Cha

Iko Iko

Drummer Boy

I See the Light (from the movie Tangled) (***NEW cool down)

I know the Zumba song for cha cha is a licensed Zumba song. I have to spend time in iTunes to figure out which one it is...I'm not on one of the computers with iTunes on it...so that will have to wait for another day...

However...during Pilates...I was able to hear another cool down song that we have used in the past...and I remembered it...

God Bless the Broken Road...I'm pretty sure the class version is a female voice...so I think it's Carrie Underwood singing not Rascal Flatts

She must have released another version of it, because this is not the class version...but what are you gonna do?

Meanwhile...there were several comments tonight on my apparent progress along the weight loss road...so I decided to do an official weigh in on the Wii Fit...

I guess it had been 28 days since my last weigh in...and I forgot about that weigh in...so I had already lost weight from my remembered 191 pounds weight 28 days ago...oh well...

I weighed in at 181 pounds!!

I totally pumped...so close to those 170s...I feel like the contestants on the Biggest Loser...I haven't seen 170s on the scale in forever it feels like...I'll probably wait another 28 days to weigh in again...I'm very excited though...*insert jumping, excited smilie here*

Keep Dancing!

Today is a rest day...

Sort of...

My home will be invaded by several 9/10-year old boys tomorrow evening for a pizza party birthday celebration...and my home is not ready to be invaded. And yet...I can't quite get my motivation up for taking care of the business that needs to be taken care of around the house...

Did I mention that I hate cleaning?

When I do get my motivation on...I will be putting on some workout clothing and getting the mindset that I will satisfying my physical activity requirements for the day...just like the housekeepers in that study...

Meanwhile...I am procrastinating on the computer...:p...and I found the song that I didn't recognize last night...it IS a licensed Zumba song...performed by Vibe Tribe and called "Sabrosura - Flamenco/Cha Cha"

Here is a weird video with the song in it...

If your instructor uses Zumba licensed music...you might recognize this one...apparently there is another song called Sabrosura that is a hip hop kind of song...so the online search has been rough...here is the link to iTunes...

http://www.top100musicdownloads.com/Songs/159469/SongDownloads.html?Song=Sabrosura+-+Flamenco+%2F+Cha+Cha&Album=Vibe+Tribe&Artist=Zumba+Fitness

I didn't mention one activity that I did yesterday...

Yesterday was the first meeting of the Spring session of a ladies Bible study that I am attending at a near-by mega-church...

Now the sorry thing about most church related functions is that food ALWAYS has to be a part of it...whatever time a day...even in the middle of the morning...even just a few short hours after breakfast...at 9:15 AM...which is when this meeting starts...there is a system set up so that each discussion group is responsible for providing the breakfast buffet for one day during the study...

And there is a breakfast buffet FEAST...with all KINDS of goodies...savory and sweet...I will not detail the offerings and make you drool...because I am sure your imagination can provide whatever would tempt you...it was likely there on the buffet...

Isn't it amazing how you can not really be hungry but the SMELL of food will trigger a response? If you love food...which I do...I really do...I can watch Food Network all day long!...then the imagined TASTE of food can make you want to eat some...just to taste it...even if you aren't hungry...

How strange is that?

Enter the power of a premade decision...

I heard a sermon on this once...fantastic really...what has stuck with me after hearing it over a decade ago is that you cannot rely on yourself to make good decisions in the heat of the moment...in the midst of the temptation...there are things in this world that require more than a moment's consideration before making a decision...

It's easy to assign the importance due to decisions that represent MAJOR life change...buying houses...moving in general...what to study in college...what job to take...who to marry...when to have kids...etc etc.

But it is much more difficult to grant the importance due to the MINOR decisions that end up having MAJOR, life-affecting impacts...to apply this idea to the realm of health and fitness...for example...

IF you regularly eat in restaurants for work-related reasons...due to travel, client meetings, late nights in the office, whatever...and you don't spend the time to research what the best choices would be in the various restaurants you frequent...OR you don't do research to figure out the best restaurants to frequent in the first place...THEN you are making decisions about what to feed and nourish your body without granting those meal choices the importance due to them...the fact is that these restaurant meals are having MAJOR consequences...

The power of a pre-made decision says...IF I eat out...I eat at THIS or THAT restaurant...I order THIS or THAT entree...and I will or will not eat the free, fill-er-up food depending on how it fits into my day...same goes for dessert...and all these decisions are made WAY before the meal itself...there is a plan in place...there is a pre-made decision...so there is no stress...

You just have to suck it up and follow your plan...;)

For me...I'm not ready to deal with the breakfast buffet...I don't want to deal with the food diary headache that would result...and I care enough to care about that...I'm more interested in CONTROL right now...I want to know what is really in all the food I eat...and ALSO...it's too soon after my breakfast...I know that I won't REALLY be hungry...it'll just look and smell good...

This is another case of...the future me can have fun at the once a week assortment of goodies...but the present me is going to pass...I'm not saying NO...I'm saying NOT YET...

I didn't do anything stupid like go LOOK at what was on the buffet before sitting down...and let me tell you...half eaten food on people's plates is really not that appetizing...

I don't know if you have to face such temptation on a regular basis...mine will be every Wednesday morning at 9:15 AM for about 8 weeks...

DH has a horrible time at work...there are candy dishes EVERYWHERE...and when the holidays come...people bring in all sorts of goodies...and DH has a HUGE sweet tooth...

You have to have a pre-made decision...when you face these kinds of situations...you have to know IN ADVANCE what your response will be...and generally...it'll help you reach your goals to pass on the office treats...

This information may help arm your resistance...

It's from that Ultimate You book that I have been reading...

For the first time EVER I have been reading about how you want to have AT LEAST 3-4 hours inbetween your meals...NO SNACKING...I was so surprised...because the between meal snacks are supposed to be what you do to keep your hunger under control...and something about helping blood sugar levels...I'm quite sure snacking is often recommended...

Here's what the books says...

With regards to blood sugar...there are two hormones...Insulin...which we hear A LOT about...and Glucagon...which I have never heard of before...

Insulin is released when blood sugar levels are high...it is released to reduce your blood sugar level...the message of insulin is to STORE fat and sugar...insulin release usually follows a meal...it is also beneficial after you workout, when your body needs to replenish its depleted energy stores...

Glucagon is the opposite of insulin...it increases blood sugar levels when they are low...one way that glucagon is released is by a 3-4 hour interval between eating times...in that interval, your blood sugar will drop...and glucagon will be released...and glucagon sends the opposite message of insulin...so it gives your body the ability to TAP INTO fat stores...

And we are all about losing FAT right?

So we want to have the right balance between insulin and glucagon...

Eating too often keeps insulin in constant release...which keeps your body in a constant state of "store fat"...having a greater lapse between meals allows glucagon to be released...which lets your body enter a state of "use fat"...all it takes is about 3-4 hours between meals...longer lapses are not recommended...shorter lapses prevent glucagon release...

In the midst of our emotions...food is simply a bunch of chemicals...a substance with a distinct molecular composition...the introduction of chemicals into your body will create a chemical reaction within your body...the next time you are tempted to "graze" from unplanned food sources...do not think to yourself...that's a tasty little treat...I could have just one...think to yourself...that's an insulin release right there...that's a "store fat" message...that's a block to glucagon...my body won't get a "use fat" message...that "little treat" may not seem like such a "treat" when you look at it in that light...that's a minor decision that can have a major impact...

And again...this is all pointing to being mindful...being thoughtful...

Time to clean...

Hi Anita, I so feel your pain in relation to the breakfast buffet. I eat out a lot for work as I deliver training most days - soup and sandwiches or full buffet is standard lunch provided - it is a nightmare and I have no option but to go. However, since I've been speaking to you ladies I have made a decision and told my administrator that from now on, they must provide a 'fat free' lunch for me. Other people order gluten free, dairy free etc and we cater for them, why then can I not have a fat free option, after all, I am morbidly obese and asthmatic - losing weight is a medical necessity and therefore I am allowed a fat free lunch :)

I went for my gym induction today and have booked my first session for 12pm tomorrow! I feel so motivated this week although still missing Zumba :( My Biggest Loser DVDs arrived today so at the weekend, I will set up the DVD player and get to work on those, just hope there's some good tunes as, like you Anita, good music really motivates me!

Hope the pizza night goes well and your son has a great time with his friends - I don't envy you that cleaning up but seeing as you are obviously a very positive person, I know you'll see that as a few more calories burned off and a few steps nearer to your goal! Good luck ;)

Anita - all 3 instructors that I have been with face the mirror not the ppl. I had a bad week this week - My kitty didnt come home and when I was out posting flyers in the neighborhood I found her hit by a car :(:( I cried all day and caved into Chinese food and a bottle of wine :eek: I realize I eat for comfort!!! I am back on track after a few days of sorrow and will meet with my trainer tomorrow. I went to 2 Zumba classes today; one this morning and one tonight :D

I dont have much time on the computer to read all the posts but maybe I can catch up one day soon.

Donna...excellent job speaking up for yourself and talking to your administrator about providing lunch that meets your needs...that's really important!...and if you can get a bit of control over something that is somewhat beyond your control...that'll do so much good for your morale as well as your body!

There is a buffet mentality that is very dangerous...forgive me my lack of references on this one...but it has been studied...and it has been shown that when people have a variety of food to choose from, they eat more than when there is no variety...

I wish I could remember the book...anyway...they had two virtually identical buffets...there were subtle differences in presentation...for example, one buffet table had a bowl of mixed colored M&Ms while the other buffet table had several bowls of M&Ms, each with only one color of M&Ms in each bowl...the study discovered that people ended up eating MORE M&Ms when there was the perceived "variety" of the different colors in the bowls...it's not like different colored M&Ms taste different...they are just different colors!...people wanted a "few" of each color...rather than a scoop of whatever they got from the mixed bowl...and the "few" of each color amounted to a bigger serving than the scoop from the mixed bowl...

This translates even worse when faced with a real variety of food...

I know that I have a hard time at a buffet being satisfied with a regular plate...there's that weird thought that you "need to get your money's worth"...like figuring out a nice meal with the food that looks best isn't enough...you must eat, eat big, eat a LOT, taste everything, because you CAN...and that split the seams meal is the BEST value...which is really not the BEST as far as being good to your body...

I can't imagine dealing with that everyday at work...Donna, you've started a new approach to this situation in speaking up and making your needs known...this is a HUGE step because you have made your intentions to do something about your health & fitness known...I have done this before...and it can be very helpful to have help at work...it increases accountability and can give you some motivation and incentive to perform well for those that are watching, KWIM? Great job. I hope that your work will work with you and that you are able to get some yummy choices that are healthy.

And great job with the gym...tell me how your first session goes, even if it isn't Zumba...I'd love to hear about it!

OMG Sandy!! I am so sorry for the loss of your kitty...we are cat people...we had two (brother & sister) kittys until last March, when the sister was so sick, we had to let her go...so I really understand...you've lost a member of the family...it would be hard to see what you saw...

Sometimes...eating for comfort is completely justified IMO...and wine is definitely understandable...having the revelation about emotional eating will be very helpful long term...for stress-eating etc...but when dealing with grief...you just have to go through the process...

Great job with Zumba classes! And the plans to get back on track...that is the important thing in the long run...I think I've mentioned how I like Toby Mac...his current song "We lose our way" has great lyrics...it's all about falling down, but getting back up again...

My condolences.

Sorry to hear about your cat, it´s always hard to loose someone you love and that means animals, too.

I´ve been to my yoga class last night and felt tired but happy afterwards.

Today is a hard day at work with lots of meetings, so I´m willing myself to look forward to my ZUMBA class tonight so that I have something to get me through the day. Bye the way, my instructor looks to the mirrors, that way it´s easy to copy her moves.

I had my personal weigh-in this morning and now wish I hadn´t.

Nothing changed.

I know it´s not unusual to gain weight when you start working out, but knowledge doesn´t keep you from feeling sad that there is no immediate effect.

181 lbs is way to much for me.

I´m drinking water and hope for the best. Maybe I should lay-off another weigh-in for at least 2 weeks.

Sandy, so sorry to hear about your cat, that's awful! All credit to you for recognising the eating and drinking is a response and I'm sure you'll be back on your way to target soon.

Kasi, don't worry too much about your weight, sometimes you feel it in your clothes before you see it on the scales - I'm sure Anita will have some wise words about this too. The Zumba and Yoga combined have to be doing your body good. I know it's hard when you can't see the results in lbs - I hate it too! Don't give up and maybe your idea about not weighing in for 2 weeks is a good one.

Anita, how did the pizza party go? Thanks for the advice re: buffet, I think you (and the research) are right - I always think I've got to try 'one of everything'! We have a party next friday and I'm taking my own food with me as it's a buffet and everyone has to bring something.

First gym session today and omg, can hardly type, my arms are so sore!! Will still be there tomorrow though - maybe more leg exercises to give the arms a rest! Zumba starts again on Feb 6th :(

Keep up the good work everyone and have a great weekend! Donna

Hi Donna,

thanks for your encouraging words.

I just returned home from my friday night ZUMBA class, again a really small group but fun nevertheless. Our instructor asked if I´d be along on Sunday and I´m really thinking: Why not?

Tomorrow is partner workout, means I´m going to drag my partner to the fitness center for some exercises. All this sitting in the office let´s you get fat. I´d love to go swimming, but during this time of year only the indoor pools are open and my partner always geht a headache if they use chlorine in the pools.

Dinner tonight was a recipe I found online:

Pasta with cocktail-tomatoes.

So have a wonderful friday night everbody :)

Kasi...don't be discouraged by the scale not moving...the scale is just one indicator of forward progress...it is one reason why I say to take measurements when you get started exercising...often, body changes counter any scale movement...the losing of fat...the gaining strength...not be even more discouraging...but I was going to Zumba for WEEKS before the scale moved...my body was changing, but the scale was not...it's one reason why I don't focus on the scale too much...

My Mom...who reads this thread, but doesn't post on it...said to tell you that she started back into exercise with me...going to the Zumba and Pilates classes...and then going back home and hitting the gym...trying out Zumba classes...and the scale didn't move for her beyond normal weight fluctuation until TODAY...and she dropped 2 pounds...

Your body IS responding though...I believe you are wrong when you write "Nothing changed."...things HAVE changed...How you felt after your yoga class?...that kind of satisfied tiredness?...that's an EXCELLENT indication of forward progress...that kind of emotional response following exercise indicates happy hormones in response to what you are doing...bodies like to move...they were designed to move...they are happy moving...let your body make you feel good in it's way and don't stress about that silly thing you stand on to see numbers...

I think it's an excellent idea of lay off the scale...continue doing what you are doing...keep your expectations high...remember the housekeepers...find other ways to be encouraged...the scale is not the only way...

Is it an excellent feeling to look forward to Zumba? To actually be looking forward to exercise? I still am amazed at the novelty of that for me!

Donna...way to go hitting the gym!...definitely give your arms a chance to rest...rest is just as important as the workout...especially when you are getting started with something new...there can be the tendency to jump into it with beginner's enthusiasm...but that can lead to burn out quickly...so let yourself take it at a nice steady pace...

That buffet sounds like a potluck kind of dinner, or a covered dish party, some call it...those can be so yummy...and tempting...the good thing is that you CAN bring your own food to something like that...so you can be sure of at least one thing...figure out your own rule for the night...like you won't eat anything that isn't homemade...or pick a protein...or pick an anti-ingredient...like cream soup...or bacon...and anything with that is off limits...and decide beforehand whether or not you will have dessert...and eat earlier in the day to accomodate what you plan that night...it's not about depravation...it's about making choices...and planning so that your choices still keep you on target toward your goals...

Remember...learning new habits...developing new strategies...

The pizza party is TONIGHT! I cut myself some slack and decided to not try to MAKE the pizza myself...seriously folks...this is how hard I can make life on myself...gonna have build-your-sundaes for dessert with homemade brownies...should be a hit...we just moved this past summer, so I don't even know 3 of the boys coming over!...so I've got some nerves going on...and hoping that the boys can entertain themselves and have a good time...because the play is to pretty much "hang out"...

And I'm pleased to say that in preparing for the party, Christmas has finally been packed up in the house :o...yes...I procrastinated THAT LONG...what day is it?...LOL!!...speaking of...I do have the tree to still box up...so I'm off to that...got Enchanted playing to keep me motivated to get the house done!

TGIF!!

Today is a day of rest...

Well deserved after last night's party!...WHICH btw...was a complete and total success...

And if you haven't figured it out by now...I spend my days of rest encouraging myself...reading...thinking...researching...doing things that get me excited about continuing on the journey toward better health & fitness...which brings me to post today's motivational thoughts...

Everyone needs to figure out their own motivation for getting healthy...

There is the classic...I'm going on a cruise...or there is some other sort of event...reunion...wedding...birthday...

There is the somewhat frightening...major health complications...like watching the Biggest Loser and hearing the doctor tell you what your inner age really is...your risk factors for various illness...or the report that you do in fact HAVE some serious illness...

And you'd think that these sorts of things would be enough...but they haven't worked for me in the past...

I have set date related goals...and found that once the date came and went...even if I was successful at accomplishing the goal...old habits resurfaced and I would be back at my starting point...I have never received a scary doctor's report...the closest that I have to such is to be on the Wii Fit and have it say "That's Obese!" in it's little cutesy girly voice...and have my little Mii bloat out and hang and shake its head in shame...and then take a Wii body test that tells me that my inner age is over 60...

I feel that I have finally landed on a new angle...an approach to the whole health & fitness project that is motivating for me...it changes the whole landscape of the road to wellness from one of obligation to one of anticipation...I'm not suggesting that this will work for everyone...but have you considered?

IF you were to achieve your weight loss goal...and you know that we MEAN fat loss, new body shape goal...THEN you, like myself, will likely need a completely NEW WARDROBE...from under garments to outer wear...your new smaller you will need new smaller clothing...

THIS is my motivation...

AND my project...

Because if I am going to be buying all new clothes...then I decided that I needed a PLAN for the new wardrobe...because this is a serious expense when it is all said and done...and it is the opportunity to reinvent the me that I present to the world...and I've come to realize that I have never managed to figure out a personal style...mostly because I shopped clearance racks...never happy with my size...I never wanted to spend too much on that size clothing...resulting in a weird mismash of clothing options that never really came together in any identifiable way...

Well before I discovered my favorite physical activity and got serious about getting into shape...I started working on the wardrobe dilemma...because I determined that I needed to start feeling good about the way I looked, even if I didn't like the size of my body...about a year ago...Mom and I became fascinated by the whole idea of color analysis...if you spend any time on the Fashion & Beauty board, then you may have seen the "Seasons" thread...figuring out our coloring set Mom and I on a defining wardrobe path...in a most welcome way...and I started to feel good wearing clothing in my size...

And the wardrobe overhaul began...slowly...I had a guiding light for cruising the clearance and sales racks...and my wardrobe edit resulted in clothing that at least worked together from a sense of color...and the feeling better in my clothing colors made me want to feel better in my clothing STYLE and FIT...

I like projects...it's a REASON to research...read...and this opened up a whole new world of things that I hadn't really spent much time in before...

I rented seasons of "Project Runway" DVDs from the library...(excellent to watch when doing laundry btw)...

I bought the ocassional fun fashion magazine...InStyle seemed to be the one that I could relate to the most...

And I also like this blog...just to see what people are wearing...

And I started reading and reading like mad on the subject...determined to have a plan for the new wardrobe...which btw...is still a work in progress...

Most recently, there have been two things that I read that have had the most influence in my wardrobe planning...I highly recommend reading both...

This blog...which I really liked...it's a great blog because, like a book, it has a beginning and an end...it'll take you through a complete thought process about wardrobe planning...you can take what you want from it, apply it to your life, and then move on...it has a unique idea about personal fashion and finding your personal style...she walks you through the idea NOT of trying to figure out what looks good on you and makes you feel good...to find your personal style...no...begin with the idea that your clothes, like a character in a movie or a play, say a LOT about who you are...what are your clothes saying about you?...and do you like that message?...and if you could dress yourself the way that a costume designer would dress your character in the movie of your life...what message would you have your clothes project to the world?...I really liked this A LOT...if you like the way that I write about my health & fitness journey...you will likely like this woman's voice and writing style...her posts are much shorter than mine so it is a fast read...

And this book...Tim Gunn's "A Guide to Quality, Taste, and Style"...which single-handedly helped me to edit my wardrobe...something that began over a year ago came to a drastic head as I tried on every single article of clothing that I owned...and divided them into the 4 piles...and I gathered 6 garbage bags full of clothing...which I left in the spare room to be sure that I didn't actually need anything out of those bags...which I donated after a month passed of not needing anything in the bags...

After this exercise, I have anywhere between 3 and 4 inches of space inbetween every hanger in my closet...and drawers that close easily...and now I wear most everything in my closet that is season appropriate...regularly...

Now the prospect of getting all new clothes is very exciting...I am on the path of deciding what I want my clothes to say about me...deciding my costume for my daily life...and because I have aimed for a smaller wardrobe in which I wear the vast majority of my clothes on a regular basis...the financial prospect of the new wardrobe isn't as daunting...

I'm learning to live with less...

Case in point...

I am shrinking out of my clothes BIG TIME...I may not be losing a ton of weight yet...I still have 40 pounds to go at least!...but I have lost sizes...and I recently shrank out of the 5 pairs of pants that I had reduced my wardrobe to...so I had to buy new britches to cover my assets...

I decided on two pairs of jeans...I actually bought three...but I kept the receipt and the tags on the last pair to see if I shrink out of them before I need them...everyone deserves to wear a pair of jeans that makes them look fabulous...jeans are made to make your hind quarters look especially attractive...IF you can find that magical pair...

Personally...I like Levi's...you know why?...they adjust the size of the pockets to the size of the jeans...ever seen a big rear with teeny, tiny pockets on it?...that's because a cheap clothing manufacturer will use the same pockets that are fitted to a size 10 jean on ALL sizes 10 and up...not nearly as attractive as when back pockets fit the rear in gear...

Your career may require that you have more clothing...but I am currently in a wardrobe challenge...how little can my wardrobe be and still be enough?...it's very challenging...my cost per wear on my clothing is super duper small...are you familiar with this concept?...I THINK it is covered in the Tim Gunn book...could be a different one though...

Regardless...this is all part and parcle of my journey to physical fitness...the wardrobe aspect of this journey is very motivating to me...very challenging...the wardrobe aspect is a major focus...the ZUMBA, Pilates, and eating are my means to an end...you see I have gotten myself very, VERY excited about new clothes...wardrobe planning...having style...having FUN with clothes, which is something that has been seriously lacking in my life...and I have decided that clothes should be FUN...

And I've put the restriction that I CAN'T buy new clothes until I shrink out of the old ones...Being stuck with what I already owned...I am REALLY REALLY motivated to do what needs to be done to be able to buy new clothes!

At one time I had clothing from size 10 through size 18 in my closet...which totally enabled me to regain what had ever been lost...not anymore...I take away all the safety nets...as I shrink...I give away...there IS no just in case...I am commited...right now...I have 5 pairs of exercise pants, 5 pairs of jeans/pants, one skirt, and one belt sitting in a bag waiting to hit the donation center...and today I will be going through some other clothes (summer-like weight) to see if anything else needs to go...

You may not be motivated by clothes...but I recommend finding something tangible that can serve as motivation for you...something that turns your exercise and eating into a means to a goal that is more than numbers on a scale...or measuring tape...my goal is to build a fabulously FUN wardrobe that reflects me...fun and functional...I plan to love it so much that I will continue to do what needs to be done to maintain the ability to wear these clothes...

I'm hitting my closet now! Happy Saturday everyone!

How are your arms, Donna?

Did you do the partner workout Kasi? Speaking of cocktail tomatoes...this recipe is a yummy tasty cherry tomatoe side dish...super easy too...I do this when they put the grape or cocktail tomatoes on sale...

Sandy...how was the meet with your personal trainer? Do you have a new plan?

Anita, glad the party went well! Arms are slowly recovering after the gym but will be back there tomorrow. I am also considering a step aerobics class. And, some great news I heard today - the Grand Princess now has Zumba classes onboard woo hoo! No withdrawal during my cruise!

I have heard alot about colour therapy but not tried it myself. I do know that when I feel good about my size I love to wear lots of nice colourful clothes. Just now it's all about the black I'm afraid but I have now thrown out my size 24s (US size 20? German size 54!) - not going back there again! I have the wardrobe clear out on my list of things to do. I have also set up a wishlist on my favourite clothes site with all the things I want to buy for my cruise in a size 16!! Clothes are definitely a great incentive - do you have a specific outfit in mind you'd like to wear when you get to goal?

BTW I am curious about the cocktail tomato recipe Kasi, I'm always looking for new cooking ideas?!

Back to work tomorrow so my lunch is all prepared and gym kit ready to go - things always go wrong if I'm not organised! I have a meeting at 1pm in Costa Coffee so am planning to have lunch at 12 then all I will feel like is a black coffee (thankfully don't take milk so lattes etc don't appeal). Will get my workmate to buy it so I don't have to look at all those cakes ;)

Have a good week folks - 3 days until my next weigh in :eek:

Hi everybody,

I had a relaxing, no sports weekend due to dh coming down with a stomach bug and running a light fever.

I soent the time searching the net for a nice cruise with my bff in june and maybe a Norway cruise in september if all goes well moneywise.

I cannot throw out my biggest clothes yet, as that is what I´m currently wearing.

I bought a few yoga dvd so that´s what I will try tonight to not completly skip my workout.

The pasta cocktail-tomato recipe is easy.

Boil as miuch pasta as you need , during that cut cocktail tomatoes (about 250g p.p.) in half, dice a small onion and some garlic, put them in a pan with some olive oil, and stir. Add some balsamic vinegar and a small spoon of sugar, caramelize the veggies. Add your already cooked pasta, stir and ass fresh basil as well as about 80g freshly granted parmeggiano cheese, stir until the cheese has melted and enjoy.

DH really liked it and is it is a meal with nearly no preperation time I´m sure we´ll eat it again. We used whole-wheat pasta, so that a smaller portion is sufficient.

Tomorrow night is ZUMBA night and until then I´ll spend my time reading material for our upcoming cruise.

Still thinking about a workout for Tuesday night, any good ideas?

Edited by kasi1979

Happy Sunday everyone!

Zumba this morning!:)

We did the new song that we did Wednesday...still don't know what it is. And we did ANOTHER new song today...which I thought would be easy to locate because it is a Zumba licensed song...the words "Zumba" in the song kind of give that away LOL...but I haven't hit it yet in iTunes...so maybe it is newer? Anyway...

Put It In a Love Song (warm up)

***New Song ??

***New Zumba Salsa song ??

Bon Bon

Que Te Pica

Chiquilla

Ven A Cumbia

La Despidida

Muscles

Loca

Iko Iko

My Baby You by Marc Anthony **** NEW Cool Down

Kelly got new skirts...she brought them to class on Wednesday...I bought two...one for Mom and one for me...and THEN she brought MORE skirts today...and I couldn't resist the new patterns!! And so I bought two more...one for Mom and one for me...So now I have a bright red skirt and a leopard/cheetah print skirt...TOO FUN!!

Donna...I'm so glad you wrote about getting prepared for the week to come...I hit the grocery store after Zumba...and I was thinking that I would spend some time this afternoon getting a bunch of chopping and prep work done...but I was starting to think that maybe I wouldn't...:rolleyes:...but you have inspired me!...I know the week will be better if I get it done...

I'm going to prep and chop veggies for stir fries...which are so fast cooking, I love them...I'm really enjoying eating colorful food...my plates look so much more appetizing with all the colorful veggies...

If you haven't gotten into stir fries...I highly recommend giving it a try...the key is to have all the veggies READY...and to add the veggies one at a time to the pan...this keeps the heat high...add too many veggies and they won't cook right...the proper order to add veggies to a stir fry is to picture a plant...you start at the root and go up from there...leaves being last...I typically try to have one "splurgy" kind of veggie...like asparagus or haricot vert green beans...so a typical stir fry for me would be...onions...add carrots...add asparagus...add green peppers...add red peppers...add bok choy or cabbage...you come up with your own mix...I find that I don't even need a sauce...

The key is to not think that the veggies need to be totally cooked before you add the next veggie...they just need to start to LOOK cooked...like they start to sweat...when you add the raw veggies...you will totally be able to see where the "new" veggies are in the mix...and once the mix looks more uniform...add another veggie...it usually takes about 10 minutes MAX to make a stir fry...so very good timewise...

I will be making another lentil soup today...I haven't decided between Gordon Ramsey's one that I made before or this one...I make this soup with split red lentils, not mung beans...because that's what I have...which requires an adjustment to the cooking time...but it is a very yummy soup...and very spicy...I have never made it with the optional chicken...

The whole soup mini-meals in the afternoon are keepers...

I don't have a specific outfit in mind...it's hard because I have been on the upper end or too big for many popular stores...I spend time looking at websites...getting ideas of clothing that I like...I'm planning to just have a fun try on clothing spree when I can finally fit into the stores...the "outfit" that is my ultimate for making my goal is my formal dress for the cruise...

Identifying your color palatte seems like it would be a very limiting kind of exercise...but it was been very freeing...it makes shopping so much more fun...I finally know what kind of colors (warm and muted for me) look great on me, so I don't have to debate whether or not I like the color of any clothing...I can just focus on the fit and style...

Kasi...that pasta sounds yummy...simple meals really are the best...I would recommend Pilates...I have found my strength and toning to be increased tremendously with the addition of Pilates...you really need to concentrate on form with Pilates...doing some research and getting some books to supplement any DVDs would be well worth your time...I got a couple books from my local library to review...it was amazing the difference I felt in the movements when the proper form "clicked".

Football is the focus of this weekend...yesterday we saw a special on Ricky Williams...something of a sad story...he had one thing to say that I thought was so excellent...I had to share...In the context of the interview, Williams said, he learned a long time ago to not blame anyone else for anything...because when you do that, you give away the power to make changes...in other words...you have to own up to your part in the creation of your current circumstances in order to feel like you have the power to change your current circumstances...

I thought that was EXCELLENT...I haven't blamed PEOPLE so much as I have blamed life circumstances...most recently...a change in my life...we moved...took away many of my "excuses" for why I was overweight and out of shape...the looming milestone birthday...something clicked inside...I could continue to blame my circumstances...or I could realize that life will never be perfect and I just have to grow up and deal...it isn't easy...it requires discipline that I haven't really exercised so much prior to these recent times...but wow...the results are so worth the effort...

Keep it up Kasi...you'll be getting rid of your biggest clothes...it's just a matter of time...Donna, YAY!! for throwing out those 24s!!

And with that little pep talk...I'm off to the kitchen to prep for the week ahead...

I finally got caught up on my food log!!

I stopped entering food on Thursday afternoon...UGH...so it took a while...fortunately, I have notes on envelops, notepads, and other random slips of paper for the things that were actually homemade...and I could recall all the lovely restaurant food...

I'm not going to make excuses...I would have had to be altogether better prepared for the Friday party...the house better maintained...food prepared in advance...like leftovers, etc...so the result was a DRASTIC overage on Thursday and Friday...like I averaged about 2000 calories for those two days!

Interestingly enough...I was really hungry for everything that I ate...and I never felt like I ate too much :confused:...I was right there on "maintenance calories"...so it wasn't like I OVER indulged...but I did eat the party food...maybe all the nervousness...the adrenaline as I rushed through the days trying to get everything done...

Then on Saturday...I hardly ate...I ate when I was hungry, but I just wasn't hungry...I didn't even hit 1000 calories...

And today...I will be slightly under normal again...normal has been just under 1500 calories on average...today I'm looking at 1236 now and trying to figure out if I'm even hungry...which is a pretty good clue that I'm NOT...

I've been tracking for two weeks now...and when I compare the overall week to week...and do an analysis on all days...the averages are almost exact...it would appear that I have found a kind of groove with food...some days may be different...but my body is operating very easily around a certain number and if I listen to it...then my body will average itself out...

That's pretty cool...

Anyone else tracking?

I have several blank journal type books around the house...I like them...I always picture using them for various purposes when I buy them...but then I don't use them for some reason...it's like I think they are too pretty or too nice to be used...I have decided to use one as a food diary...I'm going to set it up for the typical meals that I eat so that I can easily record the weights of food...like my morning oatmeal...my veggie snacks...etc...hopefully this will cut down on the random notes floating around the house...

Anyone have any handy dandy food tracking tips? Share away...

I actually have a meal plan for the next four days! Thanks Donna...you inspired me...

Tonight's dinner...Chicken Cacciatore from Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook. It is the last recipe available in the free excerpt. I can also highly, HIGHLY recommend the Teriyaki Chicken Thighs...double the sauce though...makes great rice bowls...

Tuesday dinner...deja vu dinner...

Wednesday dinner...Mexican Chicken Soup from The Healthy Kitchen Cookbook by Andrew Weil...Mom made this last night with some slight variation...she already had cooked chicken, from Mexican Style Lime and Cilantro Chicken from the Not Your Mother's book...(which is an easy way to have cooked chicken to use in other recipes...also the Salsa chicken in another good way to get a bunch of cooked chicken)...she had Near East brand Spanish Rice which she made and used in lieu of making the spanish rice according to the recipe...she also didn't have as much chicken broth as the recipe called for so she used the juices from the crock pot to stretch the broth she had and just added more water... I'm going to have grilled cheese with it for DS and a side salad for DH and myself...

Thursday...could be deja vu dinner if the soup is a hit...if DS doesn't care for it...then we will have salmon and stir fry instead...

For lunches...I have some Turkey and White Bean Chili that I mentioned before that I made from the last turkey I did...and then I am going to try Turkey and Black Bean Chili from the Lighter Quicker Better cookbook...sorry...can't find it online...the recipe calls for ground turkey, which I have a ton of in the freezer because I caught it on a manager's special a while back...I'll share the recipe if there's interest...

That's enough planning for me! LOL.

No meal plan for us, but on the nights I´m doing sports my dh has got to make dinner.

Tonight it was salmon fish fingers with romana salad tossed in a raspberry vinaigrette.

It was ZUMBA night, so I went directly to the studio after work. What I noticed during the last week, on the evenings that I work out, I´m less hungry afterwards.

And I´m comfortable tired. Heading off to bed early today.

No big plans for tomorrow. So what´s up at the island or on the other side of the big pond?

Hi ladies, hope you're well? Just back from the gym and have to agree with you Kasi I don't feel as hungry after a workout either - great isn't it?! And thanks for the recipe, going to try that one at the weekend.

Anita, well done on your meal plan, I do think it's easier when we're organised. Spaghetti bolognese for me tonight! Definitely interested in the turkey and white bean chilli recipe - I love chilli and this sounds like a nice twist!

Yesterday I cleared out half of my wardrobe (thanks Anita!) - 4 bin liners full! Still have the other half to go but at least I can now see what clothes I actually have!:)

Still missing Zumba :(, roll on the next 2 weeks so I can get back there! I remembered another one of our songs today - Flo Rida feat David Guetta 'Club can't handle it' - it's great, we all dance like chickens (sure we're not supposed to but we do lol!).

I have never really got in to Pilates or Yoga but I do believe they're both very good for the core and your posture?? My next goal is Step aerobics - went to go tonight, class has been changed to a Tuesday and can't go tomorrow so will give it a go next week!

Anyway, the Biggest Loser is on soon so must get my dinner ready, lunch packed up for tomorrow and gym bag packed again.

Thanks for the continued support ladies, you are better than a slimming club any day!!:)

Thank You all for the kind words about my Kitty.

I am heading to the gym today to do the workout my trainer prepared for me. No Zumba until tomorrow.

Thanks for all the links and food ideas - I can't wait until I get some free time to actually click on the links and get the info, lol.

I Love the Biggest Loser! It comes on tomorrow night here.

ZUMBA ZUMBA ZUMBA!!!!

I was so PUMPED tonight!!

First...the new system DH and I have so that I can get to class ON TIME! is working...YAY! THEN...I was able to a roll up in Pilates...the full move...legs flat on the floor...it was awesome!...the first time I tried to do this move...my body twisted and turned...use the hip flexors...use something else besides these super weak abs!...I burst out laughing because it was so comical...and tonight...ya ta ta DAAAAAAAA...I did it. I was so proud. PROGRESS!!!

Can you see my excitement?!?! Can you?!?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL ;)

Then class was great...here's the song list...I finally got one of the new songs...it's totally fun...

Oh My Gosh (warm up)

Hella Decale by DJ Mam's feat Doukali & Soldat Jahman

***New Zumba licensed salsa song

Ven A Cumbia

Drummer Boy

Muscles

Bon Bon

Chiquilla

La Tortura

Jai Ho

Soy Mexicano

My Baby You (cool down)

The Drummer Boy, Muscles, Bon Bon segment was BRUTAL...OMG...my shoulders were burning, especially after Pilates...Holy cow!

I think we did one more song than normal...Kelly asked if we wanted to do a fast Mexicano or go to cool down...we did the song...I'm so glad that is such a short song because it is FAST!

When I first started Zumba...I wasn't really hungry afterwards either...but now that I have been doing it...I am definitely ready to eat a bit after...Mom and I have been doing research on the idea of recovery food after exercise...that Ultimate You book wants you to drink a protein kind of "recovery shake" they call it...we have been reading things that are saying that protein is essential to recovery...I haven't finished my research on the subject to really make a report...but I mention it because of the talk of the after work out food...Kasi, having that salmon is great...how nice that your DH will cook for you on work out nights!

Donna...way to go on the clearing out of the wardrobe...when I did it this last time...I discovered some really great outfits in my closet that I didn't even realize I had! Pilates is especially good for your core...building core is a central part of the philosophy...and it has been great for strength for me...yoga is good for posture too, but not in the same way...you will get strong...but yoga is more about a mind body connection and awareness...you can do postures in yoga to treat different things...like some postures are supposed to aid your digestive track, ease menstrual symptoms, be invigorating, or calming, etc...and depending on how you practice yoga...is CAN be very spiritual...

I also love the Biggest Loser...did you mention that you are a Season behind us? So you are seeing Season 10? We are watching Season 11.

Sandy...your trainer is SO right...it IS a choice...pick one...I love it.

Thanks ladies for sharing the songs...I'm excited to hear them...

What's going on over here is that tomorrow I have to head up to Nordstrom's to return a cosmetic serum...I had an allergic reaction to it...who knew that you should see if your COSMETICS contain WHEAT?! Ugh...I never would have considered myself allergic to wheat...I have discovered in recent years that I have a sensitivity to wheat...it has a negative effect on my digestion...sometimes very painful if I overload...I don't think that I am a celeriac, BUT...OMG the serum which is supposed to be a hydrating type of thing...making your skin more smooth and beautiful...made my eyelids SWELL...not good...

So that's what I am doing tomorrow...

Dinner was a total success...the chicken cacciatore was very yummy. Served with brocolli. I did bake some bread in the breadmaker for my men to go with dinner...which makes them both so happy...they love homemade hot bread...tomorrow's version will be served with rice and asparagus...

The turkey black bean chili turned out a little bland...I remembered that in the past, I marinaded the ground turkey breast before browning it...so I'm going to try that the next time I make it...I'll share that recipe when it turns out as good as the others I posted...everyone sees that they can click on those recipe names to get the recipes?

Great job Ladies! We all worked out today! Let's keep it up!

Sandy, I love that saying and am going to write it down and put it on my fridge - thank you :)

All your talk of Zumba has me just itching to get back there, went to the gym again today but just not as much fun. However, exercise is exercise and I feel good for it. Got my I-pod out today so I can download some good Zumba tunes to keep me going on the treadmill!

Anita, going to try the chicken dish, sounds lovely! Look forward to the turkey chilli when you're happy with it too. My outfit is my formal dress too! Have put a load on wish lists on the computer to keep me focussed!

UK Biggest Loser was on last night, they had to make 90lb between them to avoid an elimination and missed it by just 2lb!! Think it is season 10 we have on here (US version) but will check tonight. I just find it such a good motivator - wouldn't you love all that personal training?!

Today we had the dreaded buffet lunch at work! How did I handle it - made my excuses, popped home and heated up my bolognese then went back to work when lunch was all done woo hoo!

Weigh in day tomorrow so fingers crossed ladies :eek:

Hella Decale by DJ Mam's feat Doukali & Soldat Jahman

We use this song in Zumba also - man it takes my breath away its soooo fast! but its FUN! almost as FUN as a Cruise! LOL

Anita Congrats on your Pilates moves! You Go Girl!

Donna Good Job in sticking to your plan at lunch - its hard not to just cave into temptation but you were victorious!

I went out shopping today and found FAT FREE LAYS POTATOE CHIPS! 75 calories for 20 chips. YaY!

I also broke down and bought one of those Power*Balance bracelets. I hear ppl say they work so I am suckered into trying it too. Zumba tonight and then Biggest Loser - I work the next two days.....