Ship movemen: feel more aft/forward compared to midship

TimInOhio

My wife and I have cruised twice in a BA cabin aboard Caribbean Princess and Emerald Princess and are in the early stages of planning an Alaska cruise in 2012. We were both happy with the level of movement of the ship (or lack thereof) that we felt in our BA, but are considering a mini-suite. Depending on the ship and deck, sometimes mini-suites are at the aft of the ship (and some ships have family suites that are forward). Can anyone compare the level of movement you have felt in cabins in different locations, specifically on the Alaska itineraries? Thanks.

TimInOhio

If the ship is pitching (think of a teeter-totter) the motion is more evident far forward, as the hull crashes down on the waves. If it is really wild, the aft gets a good shaking when the screws come out of the water!

Gross generalization of course, but smoothest ride is usually midships, low in hull.

I have stayed in cabins in the front, the middle, and aft. All three in a variety of sea conditions. I know many will disagree but, honestly, the difference between locations.....well I just didn't feel it. Or at least the difference wasn't enough to make me say I'll never stay in this location again. When we cruised alaska in sept '02 we had some bad weather,20ft waves +, had a cabin upfront and had no real problems with motion. Enjoy your cruise. We are going back to Alaska this Sept.

It's going to depend on how sensitive you are really. The laws of physics indicate that up and down motion will be felt more in the fore and aft, lateral motion more at higher levels (lateral motion is less likely with stabilizers)

In AK, we had one night with 30 foot seas and the difference was very noticeable. Things were fairly stable mid ship, but in the Universe lounge you had to monitor your drink and the comedian was holding on to the Piano at times.

The thing is, unless its physically bouncing me out of the bed, the motion doesn't bother me...

If you cruise on Diamond, a 952 ft long ship, seas are 10 ft at 5 seconds, you hit 5 waves before the ship passes thru 1. It has stabilizers and they are constantly working to smooth the ride. You feel a little shudder and some rocking but where are you going that its going to be 20 ft seas? We sat in the library a lot, we went to the fantail a lot and theater a lot and we could not tell any difference. You're talking about 136,000 tons, not much rocking.

I agree with most of the other posters...motion sickness is an individual thing. I rarely have problems. The ship really needs to be rocking and rolling for me to feel anything. My wife can feel motion even in the calmest sea. That being said we usually end up with a cabin toward the aft and high up on Baja or Aloha. My wife usually can cope in this location. I doubt she can handle a cabin in the front of the ship.

In our experience, motion is felt much more at the front of the ship. On my first cruise I was so sick that I swore I would never cruise again. Our cabin was very close to the front of the ship but at the time, I did not know that location could make a difference. On our most recent cruise on the Ruby Princess we had a few days with rough seas. In our Aloha midship cabin you could feel the motion but it did not make us feel ill. One evening we were in the theater waiting for the show to begin (it was cancelled in the end due to the motion) and my kids began to feel very nauseous. At the back of the ship we felt some motion but, as others have posted on this site, vibration seemed to be more of an issue there. I hope this helps

We sailed on the Coral, Inside Passage, and I was amazed how flat the water was. We felt no movement the entire week. :D If you cruise from Seattle, you are in open seas where there is more likely rough water.

Spent 10-days on the Emerald on Riviera deck (deck 14) aft, didn't feel any movement at all other than the slight shudder of the props which is actually kind of soothing at night.

We did feel the seas while attending shows in the theater in the bow of the ship.

Jim

I have been in the front ,aft and on my last cruise middle.One does get less movement in the centre of the ship.When its very rough one does feel it but not half as much as one would at the front of the ship and to a lesser extent at the back.

Archived